Handspring tried to work around the old serial manager limitation by adding a wrapper around the original serial library, that selects one of the actual ports for the application. However, the wrapper logics often do not select the port that is desired. Often applications end up connecting to the internal modem, where they actually wanted to connect to the external port.

I found a way to select one of several wrapper "variants", so that prior to launching the actual application, you can give a hint which port you actually want when the application says "serial".

Please try the free SetSerPort, and tell me if it solved your problems:

http://at.telos.de/~kawk/files/SetSerPort.zip

It works for me on a 180g and _should_ work on other Treos (and maybe is useful on Visor as well?). I say "should", because I found the mechanism for this solution only by digging in Handspring's SDKs. It is not well documented... Please read the README in the ZIP file.

Kolja
    Especially if SetSerPort is helpful with Treo 90, Treo 300 or Treo 600, please drop me a note.
    For now I only know it works with 180g, 270, and probably the 180 with keyboard...
    Is this why NoviiRemote or OmniRemote don't work? Is this a possible fix for using the Treo 600 as a remote?
    Is this why NoviiRemote or OmniRemote don't work?
    Is this a possible fix for using the Treo 600 as a remote?
    Both applications work on the older Treo communicators (at least their web info says so). Thus it seems they don't suffer from that particular problem that SerSerPort would solve.

For infrared RC code recording and reproduction these apps need to access the serial port on a lower level, i.e. directly write to hardware registers. The registers and their function may have changed on the Treo 600. Furthermore timing has to be adapted if processor speed is different.