Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Which fully functional office suite works best ; Documents to Go or Quick Office?
    Also I have an older version of Docs 2 Go that was bundled with Sony Clie I bought 2 years ago.Would this version work as a fully working version or just a viewer as the one that is bundled with the Treo ?
    I would vote for docs to go simply because they can open password protected Word and Excel files. That feature alone is enough for me.

Other than that, they both seem to be pretty similar. They both work with SnapperMail.

QuickOffice is a little cheaper I think.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I've used both extensively. I started with Quickoffice, but moved to Docs to go when I realized how blazingly fast large spreadsheets open with DTG. Additionally, I've found the synchronization to be more accurate with DTG. Editing or creating Word or Excel files in their native form is in it's infancy with either suite. You can always download trial versions of both and check them out for yourself, but my vote is for DTG by far.
    Checkout the nice overview of Palm Office Suites comparing DocumentsToGo, QuickOffice, and Iambic Office . Furthermore, here's another mini-review of Mobile Word from Brighthand. The Office suit comparison from PDAGeek is a little dated b/c it was written before Dataviz released DocToGo6 with native file support. QuickOffice can also read native files, but once you edit it, then it converts it into html. Mobile Office has the best image support of all the suites, but it doesn't offer any native file support. Lastly, Iambic Office doesn't offer native file support either, but it appears to be the fastest (according to the reviews). In addtion, I believe both QuickOffie and DocToGo are both integrated with snappermail and versamail attachment support...IMO, DocToGo probably is the best overall solution...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Anybody know of one that works with OpenOffice/StarOffice?
    Originally posted by olavf
    Anybody know of one that works with OpenOffice/StarOffice?
    Hmm...I believe StarOffice 7 support enabling users to view, edit and save documents and spreadsheets to and from Palm devices...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    which one allows you to create a new microsoft word doc & send it from your palm & still retain the doc format & also receives doc formats & allows you to edit and return the doc in same format? i like wordsmith a lot but I think it lacks this. i can't send a pdb file to somone's pc.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I think you can do that with DTG or Quickoffice since both allow native support. I know it works with DTG.
    I am a long time Docs To Go user and it works great. I read that Quick Office does not have true native file support for word. I read somewhere that it converts the files to HTML which can be opened by word? Not sure maybe someone can verify.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I have version 4.006 and it will not open documents attached within Snappermail. Is this simply an issue where I need to upgrade?

It appears that later versions are better integrated with Snappermail.
  11.    #11  
    does this older version work as a stand alone document reader and editor for both documents and spreadsheets ?
    I have the new Docs to Go and the 5-way nav buttons do not work properly-- you have to you your stylus to move the cursor around the page. I just talked with DataVis and they acknowledged the problem. I asked them when it would be fixed and they would not give an answer, but indicated that the more complaints they hear, the faster they will get to it.

So, if you'd like to use this very nice program on the Treo 600, send them some feedback...
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'm using QuickOffice Premier and have had problems with it. The biggest problem is that it causes my Treo 300 to do a soft reset every time I use the Palm OS search function. I've reinstalled the suite a few times, including downloading the latest version (7.1? downloaded latest on 8 Nov 03). It will then work for a while, then go back to the same problem. I don't have a lot of other programs on it (Snappermail, Eudora browser, Verichat). Anyone else had this problem?
    Man 69 bucks for office to go. Thats over half what i paid for my treo 300.
    Doc to go works very well but now deseparately needs 5 way nav. button support. If you use, please beg them for it. I got a very non-committal uncaring answer for them "there are no current plans for this".

Iambic Agendus, which I also like very much, plans to have 5 way support by end of year.

But it's a bigger issue with a document reader where you tend to scroll frequently.
    I just want to add my support for Docs to Go-- it works great but it's lack of 5-way support hampers its usefullness. Cursor keys also do not work w/ external keyboard

Please email them and tell them you have a T600 and would like them to address this problem ASAP, especially given Handspring provides a free read-only version of their product with a clear message to upgrade to the full product. Yet the full product has not been tailored to the T600. Datavis said the more emails they get, the sooner they'll make the change
    It's very hard to find on their site, so I'm posting it here:

http://www.dataviz.com/eforms/feedba...back_form.html
    I'm testing the trial version of DTG 6.005 and my d-pad works... You are making your document or sheet active, right? By active I mean ensuring the light blue box is around it when moving the d-pad around, then hitting the middle d-pad button... That makes the document or sheet the active piece and the d-pad directional arrows then work...

Let me know if I'm not clear or this doesn't work on your versions...

Matt
    Last edited by NCTreo600; 11/20/2003 at 01:48 PM.
    By working do you meant that you can move the cursor one character to the left or right, or up/down a line at a time (i.e., like it works in memo pad?). And you are working on a Treo 600?
    On T600, my definition of "working:"

In word to go: the down d-pad moves down 1 page it seems, the up d-pad moves up 1 page (note: right/left arrows serve no purpose as the document is formatted to fit on the screen horizontally...)

In Excel: down d-pad moves down 1 page, up d-pad up one page, right d-pad right one "page", left d-pad left one "page"

I can see how it would be beneficial to have it work one line/cell at a time, I wasn't clear from the previous posts that that is what was meant.

Matt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast