Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I purchased the Treo 600 one week ago and already dropped it and cracked the liquid crystal display. Amazingly the case is fine, the phone works, I just can't see anything except the top 4 rows of pixels!

Thank god I bought the device replacement plan from Sprint. But I need to wait 20 days for it to kick-in.

Any other ideas or am I just out of luck for 3 weeks?

I am actually surprised it broke so easily. Yes, it was a hardwood floor, and it fell from like 3.5 feet (my pocket) but still.... I must have dropped my Samsung 100+ times and it kept on tickin..

-Tyco
    Originally posted by tyco
    .... I must have dropped my Samsung 100+ times and it kept on tickin..

-Tyco

It doesn't sound like you have a problem with the Treo, it sounds like you got a problem with your hands.....
    Ain't that the truth? I am also anti-belt clips, which probably doesn't help. Sounds like I need a good solid case..
    Hi.

PurpleZ here.

I was concerned to read that you broke your phone while it WAS NOT COVERED by insurance. Yet you are going to wait until the 20 days is up, then CLAIM that you broke the phone while it was actually covered.

You realize that this is totally unethical. It is people like you that deprive the poor insurance companies of their profits. Why, if everyone committed insurace fraud like this, then there would be no 'real' insurance for fine upstanding purple Treo owners like me.

I think I will start a poll, asking how many people have committed Treo Insurance fraud.

If only the rest of the world were as rightous as me.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Good Day, sir.

(just kidding)
    I'm waiting for my egrips to come in, as I too fear the drop-and-crack. Although I have a total case fetish (no less than 7 I had for the 300), I still tend to carry the 600 in the back pocket of my shorts, most of the time. Thus, the concern for a drop during pocket extraction has caused me to dive into the world of egrips. We'll see how they work....
    PurpleZ, go cry to your boyfriend.

If you dropped your phone, you would wait the 20 days, and if you wouldn't, then your a SUCKER. Deprive insurance companies? You mean like SPRINT? Man, the poor guy agreed to pay like 5 dollars a month for all eternity to sprint, and he doesn't get what he payed for because some Technicality? give me a break man, thats a fricking $600 dollar phone. Thats like seven gamecubes. You fraud nintendo, thats a crime. Their tankin anyways. You fraud Ellios pizza, thats a crime. But sprint? On a technicality?

Its not morality, its rationality. So if you want to go return you Mp3s to the Ping Pong Club, go ahead and pay them.

Most people can have the decency to have brains. And to have the morality to commisserate with the poor guy and his broken $600 dollar phone.
    I didn't read that (just kidding).

Sorry I went off.

Just add a (just kidding) at the end of my post hehehe.
    dEAR nrosser,

I also order egrips about a week ago, they told me 3 weeks, I am looking forward to it for the same reason. MY friend earl dropped my last week, just a few inches but it was reason enough for me to run out & order eghrips. I am going to post about them when it arrives. take care, jay
    Does anybody have the egrips yet? I am really tempted to buy them.
    Originally posted by SpicyMeatball91
    PurpleZ, go cry to your boyfriend.

If you dropped your phone, you would wait the 20 days, and if you wouldn't, then your a SUCKER. Deprive insurance companies? You mean like SPRINT? Man, the poor guy agreed to pay like 5 dollars a month for all eternity to sprint, and he doesn't get what he payed for because some Technicality? give me a break man, thats a fricking $600 dollar phone. Thats like seven gamecubes. You fraud nintendo, thats a crime. Their tankin anyways. You fraud Ellios pizza, thats a crime. But sprint? On a technicality?

Its not morality, its rationality. So if you want to go return you Mp3s to the Ping Pong Club, go ahead and pay them.

Most people can have the decency to have brains. And to have the morality to commisserate with the poor guy and his broken $600 dollar phone.
    But that's $600 that Sprint can't use to improve their wonderful customer service.

Anyways, Sprint doesn't do the insurance, Lock|Line, a dedicated insurance agency does. You would be defrauding Lock|Line, not Sprint.

We all have out own moral barometer, I'm not here to judge them.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    dEAR nrosser,

I also order egrips about a week ago, they told me 3 weeks, ...
    While you are waiting, an inexpensive alternative is grip tape for a tennis racket, available at your local sports store. Some are already self-stick, while for others you can use some double-sided tape.

I keep my Treo 270 in my front pocket. The rubber strips keep it from falling out. You don't want too much rubber on it, or it becomes hard to pull out of your pocket.
    Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
    Have you actually looked at Egrip. Its a scam, a small strip along the side of the phone and a thin peice of protection screen to go on the back.

clue: It will not work!

I strongly suggest that you go the "tape for a tennis racket" idea.
    This makes sense.

I too have dropped my T600. Just ONE time, now the ear piece doesn't work. Replacement is on the way.

I plan not only to add Tennis racket tape but to add a cushoined case. I know it will make the phone a bit bigger. But I donít want to break this thing again. Itís not comfortable when someone asks to use your phone and you look at them and says ďNo, you donít look like you have a good a very good gripĒ

I expected a more durable phone/pda for a $600 device. If I were to designing these things I would have built in an inner layer of cushion. Along with a better screen ( My other pet Peeve)

I think that this will become one of the major post issues once the rest of the carriers have these units. And I would bet that this will be a major headaches for the P/HS repair division. The T300 would take normal abuse in stride except for the under engineered flip lid.

I think the weight (batter life) to size (more phone-like) to gavity factor (eventual drop) trade offs will keep this extraordinary forward thinking device from gaining the long term user loyalty.
    Come on we waited long enough for the release who wants to wait for the refurb replacement units just because it dropped 1 time.

Thus many who donít have palm in their email signature will jump to a more durable most likely PPC device never again to be lured back to the P/HS ever shrinking market share.

I hope not because I am a Treo fan! I think they listened to us when they designed this device. I think they tried to address Every-Thing people wanted, just scan the wish list posts in the T300 days.
    So how can they overcome this pending solar flare of replacement units and unhappy owners?

A) Blame it on the users. Common American Business tactic.

or

B) Focus like a laser on Customer Support,

P/HS need to be exceptionally responsive to breakages and problem units. If not you might as well call it the P/HS Yogo. It will fade like the Beta Video Communisms and California Universitys.

Sorry for the long post, had to get this off my chest.
    Hi have you tried egripe or this is only an opinion based on what you think about it from reading about it??? Egrips shoudl look btter than the tape, I would think!! Take care, Jay
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I've dropped my StarTac about 20 times in four years. Dropped all my PDAs (Palm IIIx, Visor Platinum, Visor Prism) at least two or three times. With the exception of the StarTac (finally died about a month ago) they all continue to work. I've already dropped my Sanyo 5300 twice in the past month I've had it and it continues to work perfectly fine.

I've seen what looked like a Samsung flip drop from ear height onto concrete pavement and roll a few feet. The guy picked up the cellphone, apologized to the person on the other end, and continued his conversation. He never even looked for scratches.

Phones drop and are considered part of "normal usage". Everyone's "free" or $50 phone (out of pocket cost to the consumer) can take a hit or drop from substantial heights onto all sorts of floors.

If the $600 Treo can't take a single hit from 5 feet, that is a serious defect and I will call in for a replacement every time my Treo breaks due to a hit/drop.

I've never had the need to pay $5/mo for a replacement plan because almost every phone out there will survive drops and minimal abuse. I don't plan on paying for an insurance plan for the Treo, but if it drops and breaks, I'll pick up a plan and wait the 30 days before calling in for a replacement and probably keep the insurance for a little while.

I don't feel this is unethical. The Treo should've been properly designed to survive a drop just like every other phone & most PDAs out there.
    Yeah, my treo 600 broke on the very first drop, too. Pocket to concrete and now the microphone doesn't work (have to use the handsfree kit). My old phone was dropped from that same height countless times (even from a moving car) and never had a glitch.

I just received my replacement only to find that the sync tool doesn't backup all ringtones, bookmarks or history (it did backup some of them, but not all).
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    One thing I miss from the Treo 300 is the little loop hole area where I was able to put a wrist strap into.

There is no such thing on the 600....
  17. purpleZ
    Originally posted by tyco
    I purchased the Treo 600 one week ago and already dropped it and cracked the liquid crystal display. Amazingly the case is fine, the phone works, I just can't see anything except the top 4 rows of pixels!

Thank god I bought the device replacement plan from Sprint. But I need to wait 20 days for it to kick-in.

Any other ideas or am I just out of luck for 3 weeks?

I am actually surprised it broke so easily. Yes, it was a hardwood floor, and it fell from like 3.5 feet (my pocket) but still.... I must have dropped my Samsung 100+ times and it kept on tickin..

-Tyco

Very ethical decision. You break your phone and then plan to defraud the "big, bad, faceless insurance company". That's the kind of attitude I expect from a dirtbag thief. Just goes to show the world is full of a lot of different people.
    I've dropped it twice from about 3.5 feet - once on concrete and once on the hardwood floor. Both times I held my breath and it's come up ticking.

I know that some day I won't be so lucky.

There's a reason some are running backs while others are linebackers.
    Likewise! My 1 week old treo 600 fell off my desk at work, bounced off my leg and landed on the CARPETED floor. Thinking nothing of it (such a soft landing), I picked it up and to my HORROR saw that the upper left half-triangle of the screen was deep blue with a sickening bright yellow spot from the point of impact. Like the previous poster there's no crack in the "protective" glass, but the screen is definitely dead.

Fortunately I had the $4.00/month + $35.00 deductible insurance plan from Sprint and 3 days later (today) I have my replacement.

All's well that ends well...

Cheers,

Hope you get your replacement soon.
    I am sad to see other the other posts of people who have dropped their Treo 600 and had the same result as me. It doesn't take much to break the screen - that is for sure. I recommend to everyone they put a case or something around their 600.

Can anyone recommend any cases.. The egrips sound pretty lame actually. I am not worried about my 'grip' because random accidents will happen anyway..

Purple - not sure what your deal is - I just bought my Treo 600 WITH the protection plan. Sure I didn't have the plan on my previous Sprint phone since it wasn't worth $600 I didn't care. So what the hell am I defrauding? Because I had bad luck one week into the plan? Your a piece of work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast