Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    That is definitely a bummer that the drops have caused failure. But keep in mind a touch screen is glass whereas the screens on a typical cell phone aren't. Those things are much more bombproof and therefore people treat them much more roughly. Those handling skills don't translate well to the Treo - you need to take extra care and keep in mind you're holding $399+ in your hand. A case should help some, but is no guarantee.

Now I hope I haven't jinxed myself when I receive mine...

FYI - I work for an insurance company and if fraud didn't exist your rates would be much lower.
    Originally posted by ginmtb
    That is definitely a bummer that the drops have caused failure. But keep in mind a touch screen is glass whereas the screens on a typical cell phone aren't. Those things are much more bombproof and therefore people treat them much more roughly. Those handling skills don't translate well to the Treo - you need to take extra care and keep in mind you're holding $399+ in your hand. A case should help some, but is no guarantee.

Now I hope I haven't jinxed myself when I receive mine...

FYI - I work for an insurance company and if fraud didn't exist your rates would be much lower.
    this phone sells for $600 now. The engineering should have accounted for DROPS!. I have already written P/HS about the Drop Factor And the sorry display which could have been improved.

I suggest you all do the same. Hey maybe they will give us a redesigned phone for testing.
  3. purpleA
    Originally posted by tyco
    Purple - not sure what your deal is - I just bought my Treo 600 WITH the protection plan. Sure I didn't have the plan on my previous Sprint phone since it wasn't worth $600 I didn't care. So what the hell am I defrauding? Because I had bad luck one week into the plan? Your a piece of work.
    Did you not say you damaged the phone BEFORE your policy came into effect? Perhaps I misread your post. It sounded like you were planning on telling your insurance company a "little white lie" about when the damage actually occurred.
    I sympathize completely on this one. I've owned my Treo 600 for three months and already cracked the screen (on a fall from my desk to a carpeted floor). My previous phone was a Samsung I300 (similar to T600). I dropped it many times, even on concrete, and it never complained. As for insurance fraud, what's the altenrnative with Sprint? Handspring won't repair a Sprint unit and Sprint won't repair a broken screen. I'd gladly pay $200 if they would fix it.
    For the folks on this thread who question eGrips - I've been a happy caseless eGrip user for months, and there are many others who share this opinion.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=caseless
    Quote Originally Posted by lenman
    Have you actually looked at Egrip. Its a scam, a small strip along the side of the phone and a thin peice of protection screen to go on the back.

clue: It will not work!
    Huh? What are you talking about? Have you even used them? I've had three sets and they all worked great. The first ones had a slight design problem with some peeling on the sides but they backed their product by sending a replacement immediately. Plus egrips do their jobs perfectly. My phone used to fly out of my pocket when I was running across the street (thank God I have quick hands!) and that stopped when I got the egrips. Also stays put in my car and on my desk. I only wish the Treo was as well designed and supported!
    eGrips are great. I had them on the phone I dropped and had to replace. I ended up using the form-fit case most of the time, so I didn't re-order the eGrips for the replacement though.

They don't help if you happen to be moving a laptop while teaching a class, and forget that your phone is connected to it by the ridiculously short USB synch/charging cable that HS sells. Especially if, even in the case, your phone hits the floor antenna first. The antenna's connected to the board, connected to the screen, and there is nothing to absorb the shock, and glass doesn't bend very well.

I also had the Samsung I300 before. The only complaint about it is that the silly silver paint peeled off to easily, exposing a white plastic underneath that made the phone look like it was put together from a cheap model kit. It's antenna was a flexible thing that retracted fully into the phone. I think the little hard plastic covering for the Treo antenna is a "shock transmitter", and if someone came up with a flexible replacement, these short drops wouldn't break as many screens.

Lock/Line would probably save a bit of money if they did a bit of testing and came up with an alternative antenna!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Wow, I've been pretty lucky. A few months ago I bashed my treo into a chair (had it in my hand, swinging my arm like an *****) then it flew out of my hand and hit the floor hard. Only damage was to the plastic coating on the spacebar where it smacked the chair. Since then I've spilled water on it with no problems, then at a wedding last week I dumped a beer on it. Still running great!

My only protection is a Nu-Shield screen protector and e-grips.
    I'm so embarrassed! All this time I've just been using my Treo as a phone/PDA, while you creative people have found that it can also be used to play baseball, basketball, and shuffleboard, as a coaster, as a toilet brush, and as a bunwarmer. We're going to have to let PalmOne know of all these alternative uses for their versatile product!
    You don't need to rip off the insurance company to get a new phone or pay $600. Just contact PalmOne and get it exchanged. I think it costs about $75.00.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Yes, it's fraud, but then again, I've been defrauded a couple of times by Lock|Line when they changed the terms of the policy and yet kept charging the same premium. Back when I was with Cingular and had a $550 Nokia 8890 which had a major design flaw (bad polymer connector between screen and mainboard that would lose contact as the rubber part dried or aged), they reacted to the high number of replacement claims by:

1) putting a $35 deductible on the plan when previously there was none.
    2) offering refurbed replacements instead of new.
    3) raising the deductible on that model to $50.
    4) pushing Cingular to "discontinue" the 8890 (even though Nokia was still offering the phone) so that they could offer cheaper Nokia models as replacements.
    5) dropping repair services for the Nokia 8890 entirely, since it was a "discontinued" phone, yet the phone was locked so that non-Cingular technicians didn't have the software upgrades to keep the phone current.

I ended up learning how to make the hardware repairs myself (from some UK websites) and bought the parts online, rather than accept a $250 replacement for a phone that cost me $550. (Unfortunately, I never found a way to keep the software current.) They made all these changes to their policy unilaterally--each time it was only after I had suffered the inevitable failing LCD screen and went in for a replacement/repair that I discovered they had made yet another change to the policy. In the end, I was paying a premium but spending my own cash and time on repairing/replacing my phone.

My question to Lock|Line and other insurers is this: why should I pay you a monthly premium when I can't make any claims? Isn't it unethical for you to take my money and try your best to avoid offering any product or service in return? And in the end, since I was getting absolutely NOTHING in return for my policy on my Nokia 8890, isn't Lock|Line simply STEALING from me--promising me coverage while actually offering none?
    Last edited by dchang0; 06/18/2004 at 03:18 PM.
    You realize that this is totally unethical. It is people like you that deprive the poor insurance companies of their profits. Why, if everyone committed insurace fraud like this, then there would be no 'real' insurance for fine upstanding purple Treo owners like me.

But that's $600 that Sprint can't use to improve their wonderful customer service.

OMG this has got to be one of the funnest post.

About Egrips can you fit the treo in the cradle after EGrips are on there?
    I really need to sign up for the replacement plan i am so scared i am giong to break mine.
    How DARE you folks compare the Treo 600 to just another everyday phone??

Are you THAT clueless on the amount of delicate electronics CRAMMED intto this puppy???

Your analogy is like comparing an expensive Laptop to a stinking Calculator!!!!
    I have detailed files.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Yesterday, I accidentally flung my Treo approximately 20 feet and it bounced off a car and the concrete.

The only damage it suffered was a cracked antenna. So much for being uber delicate.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Frydog

Treo 300 ----> Treo 600 ----> Treo 650 ----> Treo 700p ----> whats next???

www.lostorder.com (Gaming)
    www.big-hump.com (Hashing)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12