1.    #1  
    Looking for PDA phone, which one is better? Treo 600 or P800/P90
    no offense, but thats a stupid question-

use search feature out and see what that gets you, i would search for p900 or p800...

i've also heard this thing called google is really effective- or you could post something in a discussion forum and get a bunch of really biased answers...

try www.mobileburn.com for a review of the p900.

i own the p800, love it- kicks the sh@t out of the treo in every way except for the keyboard, just ordered a treo to see if i can live with its numerous deficiencies, like voice dialing, decent screen, bluetooth, poor vibration and general handspring lack of build quality.
    Yes, that is indeed a loaded question, and coming to this forum asking that is pretty much guaranteeing that you'll get a lot of Treo-biased answers.

So what's the bottom line? Well - the best way to answer that is, "It depends." It depends on your needs, interests, wishes, uses, applications, etc - there's no ONE right answer. Kind of like saying, "Who's the best looking woman/man/dog/car/whatever?"

Check them out for yourself, and then decide. We can't make your mind up for you (I'm partial to the Treo, but that's because I have about a 7 year history with Palm OS, and don't plan to change).

Good hunting!!
    Whereas I would say the Treo 600 kicks the **** out of the p800/p900 in almost every way:

SDIO, Quad band, application support, one-handed navigation, build quality, keyboard, speaker, cost of memory upgrades, available RAM, size (Treo 600 is slimmer than p800) etc etc...

If you want bluetooth and voice dialling go for the p800/p900.

If you are a Pocket PC person, go for XDA II.

Everyone else should give the Treo 600 a go.
  5. purpleX
    If you need features to the kilt go XDAII

if you need it hip and cool, p900

for thumboard on a stick with nothing else get treo600.
    Originally posted by Cyril
    Whereas I would say the Treo 600 kicks the **** out of the p800/p900 in almost every way:

SDIO, Quad band, application support, one-handed navigation, build quality, keyboard, speaker, cost of memory upgrades, available RAM, size (Treo 600 is slimmer than p800) etc etc...

If you want bluetooth and voice dialling go for the p800/p900.

If you are a Pocket PC person, go for XDA II.

Everyone else should give the Treo 600 a go.
    i beg to disagree, your're obviously commenting on something you've never used-

on build quality- note handsprings reputation for crappiness- and the people who have already reported blown speakers, sd card popping out accidentally, yellowing screens, etc.

the treo weighs more than the p800, and the p900 has 20 percent less volume than its predecessor....

the p800/900 has one handed navigation with the five way jog dial, which many people consider superior for scrolling things like contacts...

p800 and 900 both have speakerphones which are excellent, and dont blow out or distort at full volume.

i'll grant you on the SDIO- which is great once someone writes some drivers for anything- and wi-fi seems worthless on a 160 res display...

also the cost of memory i will grant you also...
    wasn't stupid enough to order the 800 since the now called 900 was already on the board shortly after 800's release. good thing 900 much improved, may try it.

whether it be a 900 or a 600 there great today but will soon be outdated tomorrow.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/03/2003 at 11:42 PM.
    Originally posted by theevaluator

i beg to disagree, your're obviously commenting on something you've never used-

on build quality- note handsprings reputation for crappiness- and the people who have already reported blown speakers, sd card popping out accidentally, yellowing screens, etc.

the treo weighs more than the p800, and the p900 has 20 percent less volume than its predecessor....

the p800/900 has one handed navigation with the five way jog dial, which many people consider superior for scrolling things like contacts...

p800 and 900 both have speakerphones which are excellent, and dont blow out or distort at full volume.

i'll grant you on the SDIO- which is great once someone writes some drivers for anything- and wi-fi seems worthless on a 160 res display...

also the cost of memory i will grant you also...
    My 2 friends use the P800 - but the build quality OF THE ACTUAL UNIT they will admit is not as good as the Treo 600. However, I suppose the number of defective units Handspring has is probably more as a percentage.
    Difficult to say, but I guess we get more reports of problems here than say in a Sony p800 forum.

The speaker on the Treo 600 is a lot, lot louder. At first mine seemed to distort, but I think it might have been because it was new -it doesn't do that now.

I don't mind the little extra weight of the Treo 600. It feels more substantial in my hand. It's not so heavy that it sinks and drags your pants down!

Obviously the one-handed support I was talking about is the ability to type long messages like this with the keyboard!

I think the p800/p900 are only tri-band.

And I can get a stack of 512MB sd cards which save VASTS amounts compared to a stack of 128MB memory duo cards!

In fact if you carry 2gb of memory cards, the p800/p900 will cost you more than double!

So in my case the Treeo 600 is much better value for money.

If funds were unlimited I would get an XDA II and a p900 as well as the Treo 600.

Hey they are all nice.

But for my purposes, Treo 600 is easily best overalll.
    Last edited by Cyril; 11/04/2003 at 03:12 AM.
    Anyway, Handpring could have

a) removed thumboard, reduced size and weight by 20%

b) made it tri-band only

c) put in a hi-res screen

d) removed SDIO

e) added bluetooth, voice dialling

but that would be pointless as they would be competing against P900 /XDA II.

So for it's size the Treo 600 has NO competition -the thumboard is the key.

If you don't like the thumboard get a P900/800 or XDA II.

If you want a smaller phone go for the SPV or GSL if you want PalmOS.

Simple huh!

End of Porsche Boxster/Honda S2000/BMW Z4/TVR tamora debate.
    What I like about the P900 hardware-wise is the screen and BT. What I don't like is the crappy Duo slot! YUK! I recently had a chance to play around with a friend's P800 and the UIQ interface seems very nice and robust. Opera browser was really cool and I wish they would port it to PalmOS. However, none of the software I need comes on Symbian OS, so that's a big negative. The flip numeric keyboard was also very nice, but like others on this board, I prefer a thumbboard for quick text entry. I personally think it would be cool if the numeric keypad could be replaceable with a QWERTY pad accessory! That would be very intriguing IMO. (Also as a side note, I think that would be very cool if this was implemented on the Legend ET180 as well! Now SKA, wouldn't that be a cool PPC phone? ) In addition the camera image quality on the P800 I saw was decent, but not quite as good as the Nokia 3650; however, I understand the P900 camera is significantly better (even though same resolution) and will allow video clips as well. Anyway, overall the P800/P900 is a nice device and I think you need to decide if UIQ will fullfill your requirements and etc.

Also regarding the T600...from own experience, the device has a substantially improved build quality when compared to earlier models. Its definitely well built and solid in every way IMO. I have not had any issues with the speakerphone which is amazing loud and clear for such a small device. Also the screen, while low rez, is still very viewable outdoors and should fill the needs of most users. The lack of voice recorder is disconcerting, but its been reported by 3rd party developers that PalmOne is working on a Rom update to resolve that issue. The T600 camera is rather poor in comparison to other phones out there, but still very useful and I have been able to get some nice shots in the right lighting conditions. 5 way navigation and thumbboard integration really is amazing on the T600. It sounds pretty cliche and repetitve, but something you don't really appreciate until you use it. And finally the battery life on the T600 seems vastly improved over previously models.

Overall, both are worthy devices. The P800/900 definitely has some hardware specs that I definitely lust for, but unfortunately the OS cannot fullfill my needs. Hopefully PalmOne will soon release a BT+high rez Treo to rectify this...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    A handful of benefits over the P800...

Able to have memory cards over 128 Megs
    SDIO Support
    Thumboard
    More internal memory
    WAAY more software
    Comes in both GSM and CDMA
    Better speakerphone
    MUCH brighter display
    Adjustable backlight
    Better build quality
    Phone buttons aren't so tiny you need to use figernails to dial

So yes...this is coming from a former P800 user that went to the T600. Are you fn' kiddin me about build quality? Squeeze, mash, or whatever the T600 and it's solid as a rock. The P800 creaked and cracked when pressure was applied, especially the battery cover. The P800 had a few things that I do miss...Bluetooth, better camera, and I like the looks a little better. Other than that, the T600 is just as good once you add the features up. Now if you have a P900 for the same price as the T600...I would be tempted...throw a XDA II and I would jump ship.