1.    #1  
    The short answer, as far as I can tell:
    You can't.
    But I'd like to start this thread in the hopes that we can accumulate enough information that we can either help ourselves or SprintPCS resolve this problem when it arises.

Here's what I've learned so far, mostly from posters to this board like Jaggery, shallow, and ocs.

First of all, what is an Error 3000?
    According to the FAQ at SprintUsers.com:
    Traffic channel is open but the handset gets no response from network (analogous to a Mobile IP setup failure). This error message appears after 60 seconds of no response.
    Below is a list of anecdotal evidence that may be useful in understanding the problem:
    • Jaggery and I both had this problem arise in the same way: Our Treos reset due to an error that was reported to have happened in "Phone" as a fatal exception. In my case, I had automatic Mail checking enabled, and the crash occurred at the initiation of an automatic mail check.
    • Once the Error 3000 appeared, all data connectivity was shot. I could not reprovision the service, nor could I even establish a data connection via WirelessModem.
    • My roommate also has a SprintPCS Vision phone. Hers could connect to Vision while mine couldn't.
    • While Jaggery couldn't connect from home, he/she could connect from a beach many miles away from home. I drove ten miles from my home to see if this would make a difference, but it didn't for me at that distance.
    • Common wisdom regarding these errors is that "they'll go away" or that they're a sign of a bad handset. Reading through Jaggery's and shallow's ordeals and knowing that I had this problem for 72 hours, I don't believe that either is the case.
    • That said, Jaggery's "just went away", and mine did too. In his/her case the at 3am, he/she just tried to connect again, and it just worked. In mine, I turned my phone off at 3am, and turned it back on at 10am(both on a Monday). I started to try to reconnect, and as I was trying, I got a bunch of SMS messages that had queued up. between each message, I got the Error 3000 message, but once they stopped coming, I was finally able to connect.
    • In none of our cases, did soft resetting, hard resetting, or replacing the units make any difference.

That all said, I can't draw any conclusion. If I had to guess, I'd say that establishing a data connection may rely on a token being stored at a tower, or a subset of towers local to a region. The token might store the handset ESN, and possibly the UserID. Such tokens would allow a handset to more rapidly reconnect to the data service, without full reauthentication, but would allow the tower to give up the data channel to another user after a period of inactivity (like going into "grey arrow" mode indicated on the Treo). If all of that were the case, then what I believe an Error 3000 is, is that the token is still stored on the local sub-network of towers, and the handset doesn't think it is. As such, the more I'd try to reconnect, the more the token would get updated, and the network would continue to think that I'm connected (i.e. with each connection update to the token, its keep-alive time is extended). But the handset wouldn't be looking to get the "use old token" acknowledgment, instead, it'd be looking for "start using this new token" acknowledgment. And thus it would time out waiting for the second token, while being handed the first token. And the more you'd try to connect, the longer you'd make it impossible to connect.

If that's the case, then my advice would be two fold:
    [list=1][*]Should this "error 3000" happen to you, turn off your phone overnight. Then try to reconnect in the morning.[*]Have your Treo disconnect cleanly from the network as much as possible. If you're using Snapper, make sure to have it disconnect after automatic check. If you have TreoTools installed, have it disconnect on grey arrows after a minute or two.[/list=1]

However, I need to point to a compelling counter example. I figured that in the process of writing and testing Chatter, Marc must get constant crashes during connection establishments or during idle connections. And he's told me he rarely sees Error 3000s, and when he has, they've gone away quickly. In fact, none of his beta testers have this problem, but they tend to use far more stable versions than he does, so I imagine they probably don't see nearly as many crashes as he might.

As such, perhaps the problem isn't so much with the handsets, but perhaps it's with the tower configurations. I don't know, but is it possible different towers have different configurations? It would stand to reason that they do, afterall, they don't all go up at the same time, and as such their hardware must differ to some degree, and thus, perhaps their configurations do too.

In conclusion: I stand by my original statement: you can't "fix" an Error 3000.

I hope this information is useful to some people who might experience this problem, but I am not an expert on cellular or PCS technology, and so please don't rely on anything above as expertise. If others experience this problem, please post your finding and experience to this thread.

best,
    Conrad
    fix = soft reset
  3.    #3  
    I'm not sure what you're saying with your post Dan. Are you saying a soft reset WILL fix the problem, or are you saying that a soft reset DID fix the problem for you?
    Please note the seventh bullet point above. For neither Jaggery, ocs, shallow, or myself did a soft reset fix anything.

Conrad
  4. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Neither soft reset nor hard reset nor reset to factory settings via some ## code made my Treo 600 work -- it still gives the 3000 error. Sprint is at a loss, and after two weeks (yeah, they were NOT very responsive) has given up. Handspring hasn't figured out what to do either.

My suggestion to those who get the 3000 error and can't quickly resolve it is to call Handspring at 877-426-3777 (option 1, then option 2), and have them log it as a problem. This hasn't resulted in a resolution, but since it appears there are several people with this problem, making Handspring aware of the issue might be the only solution (short of just sending the phone back and eating the shipping costs).

Oliver
    Originally posted by dan_herzlich
    fix = soft reset
    Dan: Do you work for Sprint by any chance?

Conrad: I'm going to try the turn off overnight tip. That's not one I've tried. Thanks.
  6.    #6  
    One other suggestion:
    Maybe, in the morning, say an hour before you turn the phone back on, send yourself a handful of pages at yournumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

In my case, the flood of messages might have made a difference, but I don't know.
    Mine were originating from yahoo and msn which send me regular update pages.

Conrad