1.    #1  
    Staring at my old and now redundant Treo 180 cradle this afternoon, I decided to see if I could modify it to fit my new 600. As the resulting picture shows, I was successful...

For anyone else who wants to try the same thing here is what I did.

1) Opened the cradle by removing the four screws from the back.

2) Removed the circuit board from the cradle by carefully lifting it off the locating lugs and sliding it out.

3) Cut across the bottom of the front panel of the cradle just above the plug slot with a sharp knife, leaving two pieces.

4) put the circuit board back into position.

5) Plugged in my Treo 600 to the cutoff piece now holding the circuit board to check that it worked.

6) Screwed the top part of the front panel back onto the back part of the cradle

7) with the Treo still plugged in and holding it carefully so that there was no strain on the socket, positioned the Treo on the cradle and screwed on the bottom part of the front panel BUT ONLY PART WAY.

8) Removed the Treo.

9) Wedged some cardboard into the gaps that now exist around the bottom part of the front panel

10) added some pieces of foam to the sides of the top half of the front panel to reduce it to the width of the 600.

11) Checked that the 600 would slide in easily, sit safely and hotsync ok...

Total time for the mod, about 45 minutes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    what about a picture w/o the treo in it?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    what about a picture w/o the treo in it?

Ask and ye shall receive...
    There's a guy selling Treo 600 OEM cradles on ebay for $15. I applaud your work, but for $15 I'll go with the production model.

...ken
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    There's a guy selling Treo 600 OEM cradles on ebay for $15. I applaud your work, but for $15 I'll go with the production model.

...ken
    So far, nobody in the UK has been that entreprenerial. Once the shipping delay and costs have been added, getting something from the US is not that attractive.

Also, given that Handspring haven't started shipping their version yet, I got fed up of waiting...
    TG,
    Don't get me wrong..I wasn't deriding you for taking on the project. It's something I would probably try in the same circumstance. Hey, if you're not going to use or sell the 300...who cares what happens to the old cradle anyway.

...ken
  7.    #7  
    Anyone else tried this yet?
    WOW! That's a retty good mod! Great job! I would try it myself, but I never got around to buying a cradle for my old Treo300...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    That's a pretty good mod! Great job!
    I agree -- very cool. I have an old cradle sitting here and I hadn't even thought of playing around with it like this. Hm...
  10.    #10  
    One other thing I've just checked. If you use foam in the top part like I did, then you can still use it for the old 180/270/300 too...
    The guy on eBay has good prices, but make sure you check his shipping costs. The cradle is $17 if you do buy it now + $8 for shipping in the US. That still makes it less than the $30 that everyone else wants for it but only by $5.
    Originally posted by kschoenberg

...ken
    I agree! But I'll take it a step further...

Sell T300 cradle on ebay for easy $30 or so plus shipping.

Buy T600 cradle on ebay for well under $30 shipped and even make a few bucks!

Actually though, the ebay guy raised the BUY IT NOW from $15 to $17, but not before I bought mine. Still a great deal though. If you have other accessories to buy, the combined shipping is discounted. I bought the Treo Headset from the same guy and the combined total was less than $5 more than I was paying for just the cradle elsewhere.
    Thanks to tgabber, and to this blizzard we're having here in Gotham, I decided to maul my old 180 cradle as well. But my approach was slightly different. And certainly less subtle.

You'll note that I left the circuit board outside, and screwed it to the unit through the plastic bottom part. I also had to hack through the bottom left of the bottom part so as to accomodate the wires. To give the cradle a touch of class, I then superglued the button on top of the left screw.

Yes sir. A top notch job.

There are no advantages to doing it this way. It's just that all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy during snowstorms. And that I can't really follow instructions very well.
    A close up of the hack job.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I don't know which one is uglier; the modified cradle, or the picture quality?
    Originally posted by Luna
    I don't know which one is uglier; the modified cradle, or the picture quality?
    We aim to please.
  17.    #17  
    Seeing this thread revived I just thought I'd comment that in the month since I modified my cradle, I've had no problems with it, using it to charge and hotsync every day.

And congrats to Snoring Dog on an interesting 'exposed technology' mod variation... maybe a career as a designer for Apple beckons...