1.    #1  
    Any ideas on the best VPN software for Treo 600? I just read that Mergic is supporting it but their were comments about PPTP vs IPSec (Mergic uses PPTP, people didn't seem to like that).
    Originally posted by gkaatz
    Any ideas on the best VPN software for Treo 600? I just read that Mergic is supporting it but their were comments about PPTP vs IPSec (Mergic uses PPTP, people didn't seem to like that).
    Mergic VPN works great on the Treo 600. Check for compatibility with your server-based VPN product on their site.
    You can use either Mergic (which is, indeed, PPTP), or the Movian VPN, which is IPSec.

One thing to keep in mind.. IPSec is bloatware to the max, so most PDA-based VPN clients only support a subset of true VPN functionality, and will be much slower than PPTP.

IPSec is indeed more secure, but for your application (which I expect would be more occasional than constant), it should be sufficient.
    movian doesnt work for the 600, and we use ipsec
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    What VPN? Many use both protocols. We use IPSec normally on our Cisco, but it also talks PPTP and works just fine.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    I've got a Linksys BEFVP41 at home - which I believe is IPSec. Are any of the Palm vpn clients compatible with Linksys?

Dunc
    Hmmm. No thoughts on the Linksys VPN router, eh? Well, I opened up port 1723 on the router and forwarded it to my Linux box that is now running Poptop, and I'm trying to run Mergic VPN on my 600. I see in my server's logs the Treo trying to connect but it never does, and the server isn't generating any errors. Anyone have any thoughts / ideas?

Dunc
    Is anybody actually running VPN on Sprint Vision usng a Treo? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Sprint network didn't support "true" VPN connections (i.e. PPTP or IPSec) on handheld devices -- only on the PC data cards. Something about the data compression Sprint uses breaking the VPN protocol.
    Last edited by John P. Smith; 11/26/2003 at 10:22 AM.
    I've been using Mergic VPN for almost a year now (originally on the 300 now the 600) on Sprint w/ Vision service .......
    fmastr, that's great news, thanks!
    I get a timeout (0x1212) error... What setup should I use ?

I tried also Movian, but always get a "Error: the requested connection is not available. Select a different connection in Network preferences and try again (0x710B)"

I changed my network setting to GPRS Swisscom (my local swiss provider) or to GPRS VPN Swisscom (but then it seams to require an authentication...)

Anyone to help me with this?

Bottom line: I am looking to access my Exchange emails without having to touch the server (not under my control also I am part of IT)

Thanks
    Y.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hi,

Movian is not supported by the Treo 600. To access to your exchange email, if you use the native email client on your treo you need to have access to your pop mailbox (the exchange server needs a setup). And the setup of your VPN client depends on your gateway. For example if you use cisco concentrator gateways and if you it departement did not do the setup to authorize PPTP access you will never get your email with Mergic. And last issue, some providers like SFR in FRance are not able to offer the right GPRS access to authorise VPN access.
    Originally posted by jp.azevedo
    Hi,

Movian is not supported by the Treo 600. To access to your exchange email, if you use the native email client on your treo you need to have access to your pop mailbox (the exchange server needs a setup). And the setup of your VPN client depends on your gateway. For example if you use cisco concentrator gateways and if you it departement did not do the setup to authorize PPTP access you will never get your email with Mergic. And last issue, some providers like SFR in FRance are not able to offer the right GPRS access to authorise VPN access.
    Thanks a lot jp, that is a very clear answer indeed, and helped me. After checking, we use IPSEC. Do you know any VPN client using this protocol AND supported by the Treo 600?

Happy new year!
    Y.
  14. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    when you say "not supported", are you echoing something stated by the company that produced it? or know of some technical reason? what's the deal?
  15. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    the movian VPN client is indeed not supported yet, although it will install without a problem and you may even be able to establish a session via IKE without a problem (i was able to do so). but it won't communicate after that.

the contact i reached at centricom said they had received about 100 phone calls or messages from 600 users requesting support and that it will happen, but no dates yet. sprint may be pushing them to do it too.
    Originally posted by yj000018
    I get a timeout (0x1212) error... What setup should I use ?

Y.
    if you use a router, forward port 1743 to the target computer's internal IP

i don't know what to do without a router...so if you aren't using one don't ask lol...
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.