Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a Treo 270 user and have been waiting for the upgrade for Cingular. I also travel to Europe, so an unlocked GSM phone is a requirement for me. I just got off the phone with HS and the CSR said the the Treo 600 for Cingular is NOT sim-locked to Cingular, only optimized for Cingular. I guess that means it has software specific to Cingular networks, but will work with other carriers. I made the CSR guarantee me that the phone would work if I placed another sim card from another carrier. To confirm I called back again and got the same response from another CSR.

Needless to say I ordered right away and will be waiting patiently til mid-November for my shipment.

Hope this helps those like me who have been waiting for an unlocked GSM Treo 600.
    Last edited by Clovis; 11/03/2003 at 09:06 PM.
    I was told the same thing, and I promptly placed an order.
    can we ordered without switching carriers?
    I'm a T-Mobile customer. can I order the Treo 600 without switching carriers?
    Anyone know how the Cingular Optimizations will affect performace on other networks?
    I'm a T-Mobile customer, and I just pre-ordered the Cingular version. Hope it works on T-Mobile, if not it will be on ebay sometime after I get it.
    Any idea if the Cingular software will be removable?
    Originally posted by johnd23
    I'm a T-Mobile customer, and I just pre-ordered the Cingular version. Hope it works on T-Mobile, if not it will be on ebay sometime after I get it.
    Originally posted by johnd23
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I'm a T-Mobile customer as well and I just pre-ordered a Treo 600. I also confirmed with the HS CSR that there is Cingular specific software on the device, but a SIM from any carrier will work. The CSR also confirmed that the hardware was not branded with Cingular's logo.

The fact that is has Cingular's software doesn't bother me that much because I've been considering switching to them anyway. I want to keep my number so I'm waiting for number portability.

I hope this works out.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Originally posted by Clovis
    I just got off the phone with HS and the CSR said the the Treo 600 for Cingular is NOT sim-locked to Cingular, only optimized for Cingular. I guess that means it has software specific to Cingular networks, but will work with other carriers. I made the CSR guarantee me that the phone would work if I placed another sim card from another carrier. To confirm I called back again and got the same response from another CSR.
    Did they say if the phone will have a Cingular logo or some other marking on the phone? Any Cingular-specific software that cannot be removed?

Did Handspring mention anything about the availability of a plain, unbranded, unlocked GSM version?
    I don't know this for a fact but I recall that when I moved my 270 from a hacked GPRS to an officially supported Cingular GPRS device the home page went mywirelesswindow.com instead of nothing or a user defined one. Maybe it's optimized along those lines. I'm sure that they're simply paying minor kudos to Cingular for being the first to green light the product of all GSM carries in North America.

Nevertheless, this is great news for all GSM users...frankly i like the little Cingular logo anyway so i don't mind if it shows up.

al
    My 270 is an integral part of my business, I can't risk a new 600 having any kind of netwrok related performance issues...if I could be sure that changes like browser home page were the only customizations..I would buy one today..but without that reasurance I will have to wait for the TMO version to arrive in a few weeks.
  14. MrH
    Originally posted by Clovis
    I am a Treo 270 user and have been waiting for the upgrade for Cingular. I also travel to Europe, so an unlocked GSM phone is a requirement for me. I just got off the phone with HS and the CSR said the the Treo 600 for Cingular is NOT sim-locked to Cingular, only optimized for Cingular. I guess that means it has software specific to Cingular networks, but will work with other carriers. I made the CSR guarantee me that the phone would work if I placed another sim card from another carrier. To confirm I called back again and got the same response from another CSR.

Needless to say I ordered right away and will be waiting patiently til mid-November for my shipment.

Hope this helps those like me who have been waiting for an unlocked GSM Treo 600.
    Yes but is the data portion of the phone unlocked? I'd hate to order one and then find out that it's data locked to Cingular but not voicelocked. If that was the case I'd have a cool looking PDA phone without the ability to check email...
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Originally posted by flipp
    My 270 is an integral part of my business, I can't risk a new 600 having any kind of netwrok related performance issues...if I could be sure that changes like browser home page were the only customizations..I would buy one today..but without that reasurance I will have to wait for the TMO version to arrive in a few weeks.
    One thing that you must realize is that MUCH of T-Mobile's network is actually Cingular's that they buy bulk time on. For instance in California it is all on Cingular's network and T-Mobile customization just changes the carrier name from Cingular to T-Mobile.

David
    Originally posted by dbregman

One thing that you must realize is that MUCH of T-Mobile's network is actually Cingular's that they buy bulk time on. For instance in California it is all on Cingular's network and T-Mobile customization just changes the carrier name from Cingular to T-Mobile.

David
    Bingo!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I called Handspring this morning. They told me it was locked to cingular.
    In CT, Cingular uses the 850 spectrum which supposedly is better at penetrating buildings. Their voice packages seem pretty good (pros/cons in various ways). What hurts, though, is the lack of a decent data plan. All they have is per-MB plans. Does anyone know if Cingular is planning anything new (or Treo-specific) for data pricing?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    FWIW, when I bought my T180 and T270s from HS under Cingular, they were UNlocked units with Cingular's Browser app as the default home page. I wa able to use it fine in Europe with a local SIM. I just ordered my T600 HS Cingular GSM. I assume that it too will be unlocked but that the browser will be set to go to Cingular's home page (no biggie). Once I get my new T600 I will try it out and check with Cingular CS.
    What's the consensus here?

I see several confirmations that the Cingula odered is not locked to Cingular, and then one that says it is...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast