Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by dspires

What a coincidence! Jason stopped by my house Friday night...and I gave him some candy.
    ROTFL!! TOO FUNNY!!! Halloween and all! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    shf
    Are you saying the units sold by Cingular are different than those sold by Handspring for use with Cingular?
    I have a unlocked 270 and i use it on T-Mobile and Rogers in Canada. Once you put the sim card in of the provider where you are the phone works perfect and the GPRS works perfect. The phone does a system search and then the GPRS logs on to the local provider of the sim card.

It will work

I ordered mine today.
    "Customers who attempt to use this version on other GSM/GPRS networks may experience issues such as slower data rates."

I think this is merely a disclaimer just in case some customers do experience some slowdowns. While it can happen, I can't see it happening between Cingular and T-Mobile networks since the both use almost the same network infrastructure in most cities, and have mutual markets of service for their respective customers.
    shf
    just got off the phone with DOML they said they will try very hard to ship out today and told me that it will take 2-4 working days for the courier company for it to get to NY. I will be recieving a tracking number ASAP. yeepee

You gotta love Asian CService, they try soooooo hard to be nice and cheerful on phone and do anything for you. Cant wait till i move back. 7 more years and im outie!
    Just got an email from DMOL confirming that they will ship "today." Also said they would send tracking #s in a few hours. The've been very responsive. Looks good for arrival this week.
    I'm not sure that this should discourage any T-Mo user minds from buying the Cingular version. Just thought I'd share my e-mail exchange with T-Mo CSR today...

Customer - 11/03/2003 01:20 PM
    I am currently a T-Mobile customer.  I have been waiting to buy the T-Mobile
    version of the Handspring Treo 600, unfortunately it has not been released.
    However, the Cingular version of the Treo 600 was released today.  It is
    supposedly an unlocked device, presumably for both phone and data.  I think I read that T-Mobile has already begun to support the Treo 600.  If I buy a
    Cingular version of the Treo 600 or an unbranded unlocked Treo 600, would I
    still be able to receive T-Mobile support and whatever software updates/patches necessary to make the phone more compatible with T-Mobile?

Response (Veronica) - 11/03/2003 07:52 PM
    Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile.

We understand that you are interested in the new Handspring Treo 600. At this time, we do not have an official release date as to when this device will be available to our customers. However, we can tell you that we are hoping to have this product available towards the end of November. Please keep checking with http://www.t-mobile.com for the most recent information on this device.

If you acquire a device, we will be able to support it after it officially launches on our network.

If you have any other comments, questions or concerns, please feel free to
    contact us at anytime.

Thank you for choosing T-Mobile.
    Sincerely,

T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    Veronica
    Web Services
    Originally posted by OriginalSim
    I'm not sure that this should discourage any T-Mo user minds from buying the Cingular version. Just thought I'd share my e-mail exchange with T-Mo CSR today...
    But what does that mean? Sounds like you got one of the standard canned responses to me...
    Clovis,

I have the exact same situation and I did the exact same thing. I called HS, ordered the Cingular branded 600 and questioned the CSR repeatedly to explain to me what I would lose, if anything, by using this unlocked treo w/T-Mobile. They couldn't give me a good answer, except for, "The Cingular Treo 600 software will be optimized for Cingular's network." I called again later today to verify with another CSR (sometimes some have more of a clue than others) and they gave the same response. But I questioned her as to what she would do and she said she would order the Cingular "branded" 600. I.e., it doesn't matter, if its unlocked you can use it on any GSM network you like.....And if, when I finally receive it there are issues, I'll return it within the 30 day "Buyer Remorse" period and get the TMo phone. Can't wait!

Originally posted by Clovis
    I am a Treo 270 user and have been waiting for the upgrade for Cingular. I also travel to Europe, so an unlocked GSM phone is a requirement for me. I just got off the phone with HS and the CSR said the the Treo 600 for Cingular is NOT sim-locked to Cingular, only optimized for Cingular. I guess that means it has software specific to Cingular networks, but will work with other carriers. I made the CSR guarantee me that the phone would work if I placed another sim card from another carrier. To confirm I called back again and got the same response from another CSR.

Needless to say I ordered right away and will be waiting patiently til mid-November for my shipment.

Hope this helps those like me who have been waiting for an unlocked GSM Treo 600.
    Originally posted by LORDOFTHETREOS

But what does that mean? Sounds like you got one of the standard canned responses to me...
    Yup, sounds canned to me, too. Just thought I'd toss it out there in case any of you more astute folks could read anything useful between the lines. Guess its about as canned as Campbell soup. Moving on...
    Originally posted by HumP
    just got off the phone with DOML they said they will try very hard to ship out today and told me that it will take 2-4 working days for the courier company for it to get to NY. I will be recieving a tracking number ASAP. yeepee

You gotta love Asian CService, they try soooooo hard to be nice and cheerful on phone and do anything for you. Cant wait till i move back. 7 more years and im outie!
    HumP or Prospects:

I got a FedEx tracking number from DOML, but FedEx says it's not valid. It begins with an M followed by 10 digits. FedEx says their tracking numbers are 12 numbers and no letters. Did you get a tracking number? Shed any light?
    Originally posted by elysian9

HumP or Prospects:

I got a FedEx tracking number from DOML, but FedEx says it's not valid. It begins with an M followed by 10 digits. FedEx says their tracking numbers are 12 numbers and no letters. Did you get a tracking number? Shed any light?
    This is what they sent me. Try it on UPS

Dear Sir

We are pleased to inform you that the item has been shipped today (4/11/03) via courier service, UPS.
    Please be informed that your tracking number is : MXXXXXXXXXX
    You may track your item on the next working day @ www.ups.com
    Originally posted by HumP

This is what they sent me. Try it on UPS...
    That worked! Guess a little confusion on DOML's end. They must ship stuff both ways. Many thanks.

[I'm also thinking we're somewhat off topic here. Maybe we should start a new thread for Asian/US GSM T600s. I wonder what eccentricities we may run into, if any.]
    What is the URL for DOML, I get to the website, but can't find a place to order the 600.
    shf
    Originally posted by shfawaz
    What is the URL for DOML, I get to the website, but can't find a place to order the 600.
    I couldn't find it either, even with a search. I emailed them and they fired it back: http://www.doml.com/product.asp?id=1081

Just tried it myself and it came up dead. Maybe they've changed it. Try emailing them. They've been good with reasonably quick replies (time zone is +16 hours from PDST).
    Hey guy's

Just to let you know the Gprs data connection works perfectly in canada, The setting got update by the sim card i guess, i did not have to do anything except connect and it WORKS

I'ts so good to finaly have this phone

Marc-Andre
    Originally posted by prospects
    Hey guy's

Just to let you know the Gprs data connection works perfectly in canada, The setting got update by the sim card i guess, i did not have to do anything except connect and it WORKS

I'ts so good to finaly have this phone

Marc-Andre
    With which provider?
    Originally posted by elysian9

I couldn't find it either, even with a search. I emailed them and they fired it back: http://www.doml.com/product.asp?id=1081

Just tried it myself and it came up dead. Maybe they've changed it. Try emailing them. They've been good with reasonably quick replies (time zone is +16 hours from PDST).
    looks like their whole site is down
    Isn't the domain doml.com.sg or do they have a site with both with and without the sg. I can get to the .sg site, but not the .com site.
    shf
    its back up that link works
    http://www.doml.com/product.asp?id=1081
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast