Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by alawiscious
    I don't know this for a fact but I recall that when I moved my 270 from a hacked GPRS to an officially supported Cingular GPRS device the home page went mywirelesswindow.com instead of nothing or a user defined one. Maybe it's optimized along those lines. I'm sure that they're simply paying minor kudos to Cingular for being the first to green light the product of all GSM carries in North America.

Nevertheless, this is great news for all GSM users...frankly i like the little Cingular logo anyway so i don't mind if it shows up.

al
    I'm almost certain that the default browser page is determined by the 'flavor' of the GPRS upgrade installed.

I suspect that a T-600 (after a hard reset) restored from a T-mobile configured Treo backup file would have the t-mobile page as the browser default.
    I have a very bad feeling about this.

I tried calling Handspring and got someone who didn't know whether the Treo 600 is SIM locked or not, but she was reading something that sounded like "GSM will work on other networks but GPRS won't." I hope someone can visit a Cingular store that has a demo unit, slip in someone else's SIM, and see whether data works.
    Originally posted by MadCityGuy
    I have a very bad feeling about this.

I tried calling Handspring and got someone who didn't know whether the Treo 600 is SIM locked or not, but she was reading something that sounded like "GSM will work on other networks but GPRS won't." I hope someone can visit a Cingular store that has a demo unit, slip in someone else's SIM, and see whether data works.
    You would probably need to install the GPRS upgrade from the appropriate network too.

http://www.handspring.com/products/c..._upgrade.jhtml

My T-Mobile Internet GPRS setting is locked and cannot be read - pre-installed blah, blah, blah.
    Last edited by dspires; 11/03/2003 at 01:14 PM.
    Ok, here's the deal. I just called up Handspring and ordered a Cingular Treo for my T-Mobile Plan.

Info:

•It's not branded on the case
    •It will pop up Cingular apparently when you start your phone
    •There is no software on there that is "optimized" for Cingular.
    •IT IS UNLOCKED

Wee.....I'm happy, cost me about $441 after taxes and my Treo 180 discount. Everyone clap for me.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    I also spoke with a Handspring CSR after seeing the conflicting reports. I was told it is optimized for Cingular but that both voice and data will work on T-Mobile. I went ahead and ordered.
    What is this talk of the treo 600 being voice unlocked and data locked? Is that even possible?
    Originally posted by ian_shakil
    What is this talk of the treo 600 being voice unlocked and data locked? Is that even possible?
    I suspect it is just a software issue. If someone (T-Mobile customer) wants to check it out, I would suggest downloading and installing the Cingular GPRS upgrade, available here:
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=8347

I'm guessing that the option will show up under the Network preferences as a Service option. Select the Cingular network and see if the connection works.

I don't have access to my computer now or I'd try it myself.
    Originally posted by dspires

I suspect it is just a software issue. If someone (T-Mobile customer) wants to check it out, I would suggest downloading and installing the Cingular GPRS upgrade, available here:
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=8347

I'm guessing that the option will show up under the Network preferences as a Service option. Select the Cingular network and see if the connection works.

I don't have access to my computer now or I'd try it myself.
    You're joking right? I mean, you're not maliciously trying to harm someones Treo 600, because this update that you're referring to is for the older Treo's. Not the Treo 600.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    Originally posted by TheHandlessKing

You're joking right? I mean, you're not maliciously trying to harm someones Treo 600, because this update that you're referring to is for the older Treo's. Not the Treo 600.

TheHandlessKing
    I'm talking about installing on an older GSM Treo. I've got a 180.
    It wouldn't surprise me, though, if the Cingular T600's do not have T-Mobile GPRS listed as an option in the "Network" section of the Preferences menu, just as I currently do not have a Cingular GPRS option on my T270. Does anyone know how to create one of these manually (some kind of *xxx dial code)?
    You won't need to go a GPRS update; just input the correct GPRS settings along with your T-Mo SIM is all that's needed.
    I'm a bit worried about this too. My sim unlocked Treo 180 allows me to set the GPRS user/passwd/APN. My friend's Cinglular sim unlocked Treo 270 does not provide access to these settings...
    For what it's worth, I spoke to a HS CSR this morning and she was adamnant the Cingular 600 is LOCKED, and not to believe the internet rumormill...

Feels a bit like the corporate line. I haven't cancelled my Cingular 600 order, even though I'm at risk since Cingular doesn't even have service here. I bought what was supposed to be a Cinguar 180 and it was unlocked for my ATT Sim - it worked right away. I just had to download the ATT OS to get the GPRS working.

Hoping I'm not hosed.
    Originally posted by treomendous
    For what it's worth, I spoke to a HS CSR this morning and she was adamnant the Cingular 600 is LOCKED, and not to believe the internet rumormill...
    I can tell you I've spoken to three CSRs today, and all have said that the Treo 600 is unlocked. When I asked the second one I spoke to today if all that's different when you initially turn on your Treo, you get a Cingular logo, she said, "I never said this, but yeah".

So in recap, you CAN use this on any GSM network, which will be great. And, if anyone wants to speak any the CSR's that helped me today (all nice) here's two of the three (keeping one secret just in case she wasn't supposed to give that info out):

Jason
    Candy

Both very cool, have fun and don't spend too much money.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Originally posted by treomendous
    Well if it's a rumor, then its Handspring that's spreading it! I just called HS 10 minutes ago, and my CSR also stated several times that the Treo 600 is "optimized", but definitely not locked. (She didnt know exactly what "optimized" meant - though she said it had something to do with software pre-loaded on the device.)

She also confirmed that I have a 30 day money-back guarantee, if I'm not happy with it for any reason. Since I will be using my TMo sim and not activating a new account anywhere, I would have the full 30 days to try it out and not have to worry about cancelling with a carrier as well.

Finally, she said my T600 wont ship until 10 days after my order is processed on the 17th!

So you T-Mobile holdouts might end up getting phones at the same time anyway!

... And, if anyone wants to speak any the CSR's that helped me today (all nice) here's two of the three (keeping one secret just in case she wasn't supposed to give that info out):

Jason
    Candy

TheHandlessKing
    What a coincidence! Jason stopped by my house Friday night...and I gave him some candy.
    Also both CSRs I spoke with today said they couldn't think of any reason the phone would not work on T-Mobile. If I'm not comfortable with it, I can cancel the order. Didn't sound like they were disuading me from buying it for use on T-Mobile's network.

I can tell you I've spoken to three CSRs today, and all have said that the Treo 600 is unlocked. When I asked the second one I spoke to today if all that's different when you initially turn on your Treo, you get a Cingular logo, she said, "I never said this, but yeah".

So in recap, you CAN use this on any GSM network, which will be great. And, if anyone wants to speak any the CSR's that helped me today (all nice) here's two of the three (keeping one secret just in case she wasn't supposed to give that info out):

Jason
    Candy

TheHandlessKing
    Go Handless!

This is great news! Hopefully it's indeed all true. Looks like buying that Cingular t600 was not a bad idea after all.

Thanks for the info.
    I took the plunge and ordered mine. The rep was very helpful and said that there should be no issues using it on the Tmobile network. And I double verfified that both the GSM and GPRS are UNLOCKED!!! He said just slid in the TMO sim and I would be ready to rock. I am jacked!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Those of you who also have placed orders for Cingular T600s today - what time frame were you given for delivery?
    Last edited by CharFeld; 11/03/2003 at 03:51 PM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast