Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How dare they. HOW DARE THEY???!!!!!!!!!

The HS brainless trust has screwed us AGAIN. They lie and lie and lie and lie again!!!!

So here comes their GSM rollout. What's in it? CINGULAR. ONLY CINGULAR.

And it gets better - it's not a roll-out at all!!!!!

These liars only allow you to place a PRE-ORDER and they have no intention of shipping anything for two or three WEEKS!!!!

And get this - it gets better still! They tell you UPFRONT, to expect shipping delays.

They say that they sell you a phone without a plan - but it is locked in to Cingular! The sale of a phone WITHOUT a service plan is $699 and the customer loyalty discount is UNAVAILABLE. So even if you could use an unlocked unit being sold now, you are talking about paying THREE HUNDRED BUCKS MORE!!!!

This is perhaps one of the more disturbing aspects of what is going on regarding the terms of their offer (more on the LIES of the behavior below). Because if the issue is to be loyal to YOU, you should get your loyalty discount if you buy the darned phone. But the fact that they will ONLY give you the discount if you keep your Cingular service without extending the plan or getting a new number tells you that they are married to the carrier and the offer to you is much less than it appears.

I wonder...how do they know if you really have a Cingular number? If you buy a phone, give them your serial number and tell them that you have an existing account, will they ship you a $399 phone that you can then use with a T-Mo sim card?

As to HS's conduct here is the bottom line of it all....

That T-Mo dude talking thru HumP was 100 PERCENT RIGHT. Cingular ships first - and it seems that order fullfillment will first begin around the 11/24 that he was talking about weeks ago. If you need anymore proof - watch this....The $399 Cingular offer expires....11/24. Any doubt in your mind about the coordination between lapsing promotional offers amont carriers???? Or that HS has known for WEEKS that this was the intended progression?

No one wanted to believe it.

But it is true. True, true, true.

It is clear beyond ANY reasonable doubt that:

HANDSPRING HAS BEEN LYING TO US FOR WEEKS!!! - On multiple levels:

(a) The carrier specific handsets for T-Mo, Cingular and AT&T were to be AVAILABLE (i.e., not pre-orderable) on the HS website in OCTOBER. All that you can do is PRE-ORDER for delivery on around or AFTER Thanksgiving and only for a SINGLE carrier.

(b) Two to three weeks ago, they began telling us that they expected that T-Mo GSM handsets would be available "within 2 or 3 weeks". Those two or three weeks are UP. And now, they have announced a PRE-ORDER for a different carrier that wont be received for....2 or 3 weeks. So it seems that OUR two or three weeks has re-started it's cycle.

(c) The single most disturbing dishonesty is that it appears that HS has known this ALL ALONG, and has merely strung us along. Because HumP's friend was very specific in saying that T-Mo won't begin it's Treo 600 program until 11/24 and has not wavered an inch on that for going on a month now....Now you see the Cingular pre-order info and the timing of the end of their promotional plan and you have to say, HMMM. Looks like HumP's friend was right all along, that HS HAD to know that and yet kept stringing us along with LIES about when they would begin shipping T-Mo units.

(d) To this day, Handspring denies that there has been any slippage in the original rollout schedule and when you point out what was said by Dubinksy during the investor call or by HS reps at MP events, they play dumb.

This company has to be among the lowest of the low....

(a) For MONTHS they teased us with their ads via emails. MONTHS.

(b) They whetted our appetites and froze our puchase decisions.

(c) Even though HS is a US company and the US is their largest market, they rolled it out overseas first.

(d) They are rolling the product out on a carrier by carrier basis, which basically treats customers of those later in line like second and third class citizens.

As to problems with the carriers - I blame HS 100%. Of course, I am not happy about T-Mo allowing themselves and their customers to be at the end of the line.

But the bottom line is, the people MOST responsible for the Treo rollout is HS. T-Mo sells dozens of phones made by just about every manufacturer in the world. No one has more of a responsibility for the product roll-out than the company that sells the product - HS. T-Mo didn't flood me with solicitations for what was then vaporware - HS did.

The HS people had PLENTY of time to iron out their issues with the carriers. After all, they had at LEAST as much time as their disgraceful appetite whetting email campaign ran - which was MONTHS. And probably more time before that.

They HAD TO KNOW what the effect would be regarding frozen puchase decisions and early adopter interest. And yet, they still allowed this to happen. MALICIOUS.

Their Cingular pre-order rollout can ONLY be viewed as some sort of a face saving gesture intending to cool down the GSM masses since HS is not prepared to ship until close to the end of their promotion period. Indeed, I've been told that product is stacked in warehouses, all boxed and ready to ship, merely awaiting address labeling. You have to know that's right, because HS has aggressively denied any hardware/software problems (and they've shipped worldwide already).

I would not be surprised if right around the time they start shipping Cingular, they start taking orders for T-Mo WITHOUT a similar shipping delay. Or better yet, they'll start taking T-Mo orders and say they can't ship so fast because of the Cingular backlog and then, they'll start shipping - you guessed it, right around the 11/24 date that HumP's T-Mo friend swore was firm.

I am disgusted with HS, Pa1mOne or whatever they call themselves.

I BEG SONY - come out with a killer, put these jerks out of their misery, drive their stock price to dust and buy their OS.
    Last edited by zipmitz; 11/03/2003 at 07:33 AM.
    go buy another ****ing phone already. baby.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    go buy another ****ing phone already. baby.
    Explain what you disagree with, apart from the namecalling.

Deal with the facts and not the personal attacks.

I certainly understand that I take this stuff more seriously than most people. Heck - that's one of the reasons HS targets people like me - and you - as early adopters likely to spread the word with their phones to lesser connected people.

And most people who spend time on sites like this are way into the technology as well. Most people would say get a life to just about anyone who would spend time on boards talking about their cellphones.

So, again, try to stay away from the personal attacks and if you have a constructive comment about anything I wrote, feel free to share it.
    Originally posted by zipmitz
    [B]How dare they. HOW DARE THEY???!!!!!!!!!
    To quote a famous line from the movie Stripes!:

"Lighten up Francis!"

The way you're acting, you'd think that you were stuck in a jungle waiting for some medicine to cure some disease you have. Don't worry, if your Treo of choice doesn't show up in time, your body parts are NOT going to start falling off.

You need therapy. Maybe a little anger management?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.

The sale of a phone WITHOUT a service plan is $699 and the customer loyalty discount is UNAVAILABLE. So even if you could use an unlocked unit being sold now, you are talking about paying THREE HUNDRED BUCKS MORE!!!!

what about when thay say Other GSM/GPRS ,,,,i think this means unlocked GSM
    You have not been "screwed". You are disappointed. Everybody who wants a GSM 600 is disappointed. But "screwed"? Get a grip.

Oh, and there is an upgrade discount for current Treo owners when you buy the Cingular GSM 600.

On second thought, it's OK if you consider yourself screwed. Maybe you'll take your tedious posts elsewhere.
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by X-MAN

what about when thay say Other GSM/GPRS ,,,,i think this means unlocked GSM
    Nope...

I spoke to the CSRs and they say that the phone is optimized for Cingular. I suppose it will work. But they say they are selling Cingular phones, with Cingular tweaks in them.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I'm glad we dont get any of this stuff here in England. Ordered my Treo 600 online for 20 and it arrived the following day. No hassle, no fuss, no pratting around with upgrade promotions and serial numbers. Feel really sorry for all you guys over there in the states, sounds like you are having a rough time!
    "Yay though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil... cause I have a big stick! And I am the meanest mutherf***er in the valley!" -Deep Blue Sea
    Come on, get a grip. Sure, I wish my provider wasn't the 3rd one wt. support, but that's life.

Handspring has been saying that they expected plans from T-Mobile, Cingular, and AT&T in the next few weeks. No one ever gave a date, on the official web site. Further down the page is an explicit disclaimer saying that the offers are contingent on the carriers.

I think people are confusing self induced hype from TC forums for official news from HS marketing. I certainly haven't been overwhelmed by e-letters from HS about the 600. I got some, including one this morning announcing Cingular 600s, but not anywhere near as many as I get from other, similar vendors.
    Yes, the latest Treo 600 is configured for Cingular, but that doesn't mean you can't get the upgrade offer. If you have a Treo 180, 270 or 300 serial number, the upgrade offer is valid. Again, it was my impression palmone would be selling a Cingular unlocked device. I wonder if it's worth ordering since the T-Mobile Treo 600 will be available by the time this unit ships.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

To quote a famous line from the movie Stripes!:

"Lighten up Francis!"

The way you're acting, you'd think that you were stuck in a jungle waiting for some medicine to cure some disease you have. Don't worry, if your Treo of choice doesn't show up in time, your body parts are NOT going to start falling off.

You need therapy. Maybe a little anger management?
    Sigh........

I know I take this stuff seriously. Truth be told, to one degree or another, all of our respective interests on this site is above the norm to one degree or another. I mean, how many people care so much about their phones and PDAs that they actively participate in boards like these?

I wrote my post as soon as I saw the wise-acre stunt that HS pulled. It made me angry. I know it's just a phone...

I have been using a brick for months since my out of warranty unit broke, waiting for the 600. To compound things, my wife lost her phone and I was going to get her a phone with a new plan, since her old plan expired with a different carrier. And I've put her off too because I've kept hearing any day now, any day now...

And truth be told, I WANTED to believe that. I just never in my wildest dreams expected that a company could be so fundamentally dishonest and manipulative.

I guess I was wrong....
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by jaytee
    Come on, get a grip. Sure, I wish my provider wasn't the 3rd one wt. support, but that's life.

Handspring has been saying that they expected plans from T-Mobile, Cingular, and AT&T in the next few weeks. No one ever gave a date, on the official web site. Further down the page is an explicit disclaimer saying that the offers are contingent on the carriers.

I think people are confusing self induced hype from TC forums for official news from HS marketing. I certainly haven't been overwhelmed by e-letters from HS about the 600. I got some, including one this morning announcing Cingular 600s, but not anywhere near as many as I get from other, similar vendors.
    Actually, that's not really true. Before they were taken over by Palm, HS had an investor relations section on their site and they had an investors conference call posted there. In that call, Donna Dubinsky, the head of HS, said that unlocked GSMs would be available on their site by the end of the month (of October) and that carrier specific handsets for T-Mo, Cingular and AT&T would be available before that. So my time frame is based upon that, and I consider information coming from the mouth of the company head to be reliable.

As to emails re the 600, I started receiving them months ago, announcing the 600 and informing people it would available later in the year. That began a series of emails that described different features of the phone, in a planned serial fashion.

The HS brainless trust has screwed us AGAIN. They lie and lie and lie and lie again!!!!

So here comes their GSM rollout. What's in it? CINGULAR. ONLY CINGULAR.

And it gets better - it's not a roll-out at all!!!!!

These liars only allow you to place a PRE-ORDER and they have no intention of shipping anything for two or three WEEKS!!!!

And get this - it gets better still! They tell you UPFRONT, to expect shipping delays.

They say that they sell you a phone without a plan - but it is locked in to Cingular! The sale of a phone WITHOUT a service plan is $699 and the customer loyalty discount is UNAVAILABLE. So even if you could use an unlocked unit being sold now, you are talking about paying THREE HUNDRED BUCKS MORE!!!!

This is perhaps one of the more disturbing aspects of what is going on regarding the terms of their offer (more on the LIES of the behavior below). Because if the issue is to be loyal to YOU, you should get your loyalty discount if you buy the darned phone. But the fact that they will ONLY give you the discount if you keep your Cingular service without extending the plan or getting a new number tells you that they are married to the carrier and the offer to you is much less than it appears.

I wonder...how do they know if you really have a Cingular number? If you buy a phone, give them your serial number and tell them that you have an existing account, will they ship you a $399 phone that you can then use with a T-Mo sim card?

As to HS's conduct here is the bottom line of it all....

That T-Mo dude talking thru HumP was 100 PERCENT RIGHT. Cingular ships first - and it seems that order fullfillment will first begin around the 11/24 that he was talking about weeks ago. If you need anymore proof - watch this....The $399 Cingular offer expires....11/24. Any doubt in your mind about the coordination between lapsing promotional offers amont carriers???? Or that HS has known for WEEKS that this was the intended progression?

No one wanted to believe it.

But it is true. True, true, true.

It is clear beyond ANY reasonable doubt that:

HANDSPRING HAS BEEN LYING TO US FOR WEEKS!!! - On multiple levels:

(a) The carrier specific handsets for T-Mo, Cingular and AT&T were to be AVAILABLE (i.e., not pre-orderable) on the HS website in OCTOBER. All that you can do is PRE-ORDER for delivery on around or AFTER Thanksgiving and only for a SINGLE carrier.

(b) Two to three weeks ago, they began telling us that they expected that T-Mo GSM handsets would be available "within 2 or 3 weeks". Those two or three weeks are UP. And now, they have announced a PRE-ORDER for a different carrier that wont be received for....2 or 3 weeks. So it seems that OUR two or three weeks has re-started it's cycle.

(c) The single most disturbing dishonesty is that it appears that HS has known this ALL ALONG, and has merely strung us along. Because HumP's friend was very specific in saying that T-Mo won't begin it's Treo 600 program until 11/24 and has not wavered an inch on that for going on a month now....Now you see the Cingular pre-order info and the timing of the end of their promotional plan and you have to say, HMMM. Looks like HumP's friend was right all along, that HS HAD to know that and yet kept stringing us along with LIES about when they would begin shipping T-Mo units.

(d) To this day, Handspring denies that there has been any slippage in the original rollout schedule and when you point out what was said by Dubinksy during the investor call or by HS reps at MP events, they play dumb.

This company has to be among the lowest of the low....

(a) For MONTHS they teased us with their ads via emails. MONTHS.

(b) They whetted our appetites and froze our puchase decisions.

(c) Even though HS is a US company and the US is their largest market, they rolled it out overseas first.

(d) They are rolling the product out on a carrier by carrier basis, which basically treats customers of those later in line like second and third class citizens.

As to problems with the carriers - I blame HS 100%. Of course, I am not happy about T-Mo allowing themselves and their customers to be at the end of the line.

But the bottom line is, the people MOST responsible for the Treo rollout is HS. T-Mo sells dozens of phones made by just about every manufacturer in the world. No one has more of a responsibility for the product roll-out than the company that sells the product - HS. T-Mo didn't flood me with solicitations for what was then vaporware - HS did.

The HS people had PLENTY of time to iron out their issues with the carriers. After all, they had at LEAST as much time as their disgraceful appetite whetting email campaign ran - which was MONTHS. And probably more time before that.

They HAD TO KNOW what the effect would be regarding frozen puchase decisions and early adopter interest. And yet, they still allowed this to happen. MALICIOUS.

Their Cingular pre-order rollout can ONLY be viewed as some sort of a face saving gesture intending to cool down the GSM masses since HS is not prepared to ship until close to the end of their promotion period. Indeed, I've been told that product is stacked in warehouses, all boxed and ready to ship, merely awaiting address labeling. You have to know that's right, because HS has aggressively denied any hardware/software problems (and they've shipped worldwide already).

I would not be surprised if right around the time they start shipping Cingular, they start taking orders for T-Mo WITHOUT a similar shipping delay. Or better yet, they'll start taking T-Mo orders and say they can't ship so fast because of the Cingular backlog and then, they'll start shipping - you guessed it, right around the 11/24 date that HumP's T-Mo friend swore was firm.

I am disgusted with HS, Pa1mOne or whatever they call themselves.

I BEG SONY - come out with a killer, put these jerks out of their misery, drive their stock price to dust and buy their OS.
    Christ, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH Get over it and get a different phone.
    It. Is. A. Phone.

Get over it. It's a neat device, really, and I'm sure that Handspring realizes that it has lost a lot of customers who won't make it as an impulse buy (me being one of them). However, this person ranting sounds like a loon

They Lied he screams. Who lied, and about what? Handspring isnt in personal contact with you. They are a company delivering a very difficult to market, higly technical device. They blew the rollout, theres no other way to say it, but to act like Handspring OWES you anything is just patently stupid. They will pay the price, but if you don't like it, then go buy another phone and shut the f**k up.

YOu clearly have issues if you really believe that your non-phone release is THAT big of a deal.
    Yea, please go buy something else and shut up. We don't care about your whining.
    You're absolutely right, man. I'm just as angry as you are about this entire fiasco (and that's really what it is). Someone really oughta go postal on handspring and end this affair once and for all. Not, just kidding: don't go postal people; but seriously, what the hell... T-Mo GSM users really got the stiffy this time. I've been waiting so long for this damn phone and it seems it's going to end up coming out more or less when Ahnold becomes president.

AARRGH!!!

Cheers.
    Your frustration is evident, I feel you are angry at the wrong folks (it was hard, but there was no 'but' in that sentence ... oops).

Handspring is not the problem here, the carriers are. The is out, available in Europe. It's not HS, they have the product. But carriers want it tweaked for their networks as you noted in your Cingular reference.

T-Mo & AT&T are doing the same. Don't you think they want this tweaked for them as well? Vent your frustration to them -- they are the true culprits in this mess.

Or, come on over to Sprint and enjoy our wonderful customer service.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by comcom
    Yes, the latest Treo 600 is configured for Cingular, but that doesn't mean you can't get the upgrade offer. If you have a Treo 180, 270 or 300 serial number, the upgrade offer is valid. Again, it was my impression palmone would be selling a Cingular unlocked device. I wonder if it's worth ordering since the T-Mobile Treo 600 will be available by the time this unit ships.
    I am told that the device will bear a Cingular label. That's just paint, by the way and it doesn't affect function. The phone does, however, come loaded with Cingular specific software for their digital web and other services
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by LORDOFTHETREOS

You're absolutely right, man. I'm just as angry as you are about this entire fiasco (and that's really what it is). Someone really oughta go postal on handspring and end this affair once and for all. Not, just kidding: don't go postal people; but seriously, what the hell... T-Mo GSM users really got the stiffy this time. I've been waiting so long for this damn phone and it seems it's going to end up coming out more or less when Ahnold becomes president.

AARRGH!!!

Cheers.
    Thanks for your friendly and CIVIL comments. I know that I take this way too seriously. But it's interesting - so many people who say I take HS and the phone too seriously seem to have a similar problem of their own....

After all, they obviously care more about ME than they should. It's like they say on the radio - you don't like the program, change the channel.

But they do more than that. They flame me with barely hidden curse words. In my experience, you curse for emphasis - not when you don't care....

My sense is that some of these people are soooooo friendly towards HS and their products that they don't mind if the company takes a dump in their hats. They look inside, smile and happily put it back on their heads....

Getting the stiffy is a bummer. What frosts me though, is that there seems to be dishonesty involved. Unlike what some people have said in these boards, HS did in FACT communicate with us.

Dubinsky spoke to the world when she made her statements that GSM product would be available (i.e., not pre-orderable) in October via her site. Countless people have reported here that they've been told that T-Mo units would be available within 2 or 3 weeks for more than 2 or 3 weeks without much change in the language even as the first 2 or 3 week period burned off.

It's a shame they are in the cell phone business. They'd do better in politics....
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by tjd414
    Your frustration is evident, I feel you are angry at the wrong folks (it was hard, but there was no 'but' in that sentence ... oops).

Handspring is not the problem here, the carriers are. The is out, available in Europe. It's not HS, they have the product. But carriers want it tweaked for their networks as you noted in your Cingular reference.

T-Mo & AT&T are doing the same. Don't you think they want this tweaked for them as well? Vent your frustration to them -- they are the true culprits in this mess.

Or, come on over to Sprint and enjoy our wonderful customer service.
    Handspring is responsible for managing their carrier relationships.

This phone has been in the planning stages for a very long time. By the time they started with their email series touting the phone to early adopters, they should have been well on their way, if not completed with their carrier arrangements.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast