Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lets just all hope that WeeBit is correct and in 2 hours well all know what the deal is :/ with the unlocked units. TMO is still looking at 11-24 for release. ( exact words were either Friday or Monday of that week)
    it's a shame when people get burned with these kind of delays, but that's life. go watch the TV news and then come back if it still feels important.

if you are trying to sell anything, you need to build up anticipation, and it is important to set the correct level of expectation - otherwise it's plain counterproductive & people switch off to your product. i'm sure in retrospect, HS would've done the T600 pre-marketing differently if they'd known that the launch was going to be such a lash-up. Then again though, hindsight is a marvellous planning tool...

bottom-line is that (some) people get excited about new stuff like this, otherwise we wouldn't study emails, register on forums and search for specs & dates. however, it's not fair to say anyone lied, it just didn't work out the way HS planned or we wanted, and that's a shame.

Still - that's the way it goes sometimes, it's disappointing, but it is only a phone & not really worth raising our bloodpressure over.
    You guys think this is bad? The Samsung i500 which was approved by the FCC eons ago (ok, reserve the flames; but it was a long time ago) was slated to be released in November 2002. The phone was released either in late August or September if I remember correctly. A month, or two, or three isn't that bad when you're used to waiting for Samsung.

And let me tell you, I never made a better decision than to give up the Samsung line of Palm phones for the Treo 600. I'm loving it! So lighten up, enjoy life, and look forward to your Treo.

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    I understand how the original poster feels and many others here. When they missed thier mark + the bs script the HS csr's have been telling us.. I gave up on any hopes. I realized at that time that the Longest (as in furtherest dates) rumors were probably the most correct ones. Even though I am upset and dissapointed, there really isnt very much we can do. I reccomend that anyone having a lot of stress from this thing take a 2nd look at thier current cellphone/pda sollution and consider if they can wait 6-8 weeks (I believe that it really will be this long before we have them "in our hands").

The sad thing here is that HS (and many of the people here) don't realize the impact of a rollout such as this. This reminds me of when Coke rolled out "New Coke". Even though the situations are different, what coke failed to realize who their customers are. The masses liked "new coke" better, but that their major consumers didn't like it. This was one of the worst financial times for coke. Shortly after that clasic coke was re-released and has been the coke ever since. The key thing here to notice is that the coke company didn't realize who their customers were and totally blew it.

To reflect the "coke" story with HS, notice the slipping release date and the horrible communication around it. Do you think that if another company (such as sony, samsung, etc) sold a product that was the same size, palm OS, keyboard, etc, that we wouldnt be purchasing it? I believe if there was competition that was comperable, that many of us would of already jumped ship and bought a competitors product. Since HS has no comparable product competition (based on our standards) this hasnt happend.

Sadly, HS doesn't realize how this situation is going to impact them in the future. Competitors are already in the works of making products like treo. The people who are early adopters (people here) are the people who make the difference from product success to product failure. Take for example Microsoft Handhelds. If I were to try to help one of my friends or collegues get a new PDA phone, I would have to spend most of my time trying to explain to them why they shouldnt use a microsoft based product. They will want microsoft because its an interface they are already used to. See where I am getting at? This product already has problems comming out the door (for the masses, not for people who already like Palm), let alone take the loyal customers who are "teachers" to new users and utterally treat them like they don't matter at all. That is further proved by the pricing as well. The fact that a new adopter of Treo can get the same or better price of a treo is stupid.

So anyway, I have been long winded. To sum things up:

-Don't let this garbage to get to you, there is little we can do about it.
    -HS will pay for this situation in the future (when competition sets in).
    -The real problem is the market, and that this is still a very NEW product that isnt accepted by the masses. I would say it will still be at least 3-5 years before pdaphones are a commonplace.
    -Bottom line, the 600 is going to be an awesome product, and I am sure once we all get one that we will have a happy experience using it. It looks to be a great product.
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    I understand how the original poster feels and many others here. When they missed thier mark + the bs script the HS csr's have been telling us.. I gave up on any hopes. I realized at that time that the Longest (as in furtherest dates) rumors were probably the most correct ones. Even though I am upset and dissapointed, there really isnt very much we can do. I reccomend that anyone having a lot of stress from this thing take a 2nd look at thier current cellphone/pda sollution and consider if they can wait 6-8 weeks (I believe that it really will be this long before we have them "in our hands").

The sad thing here is that HS (and many of the people here) don't realize the impact of a rollout such as this. This reminds me of when Coke rolled out "New Coke". Even though the situations are different, what coke failed to realize who their customers are. The masses liked "new coke" better, but that their major consumers didn't like it. This was one of the worst financial times for coke. Shortly after that clasic coke was re-released and has been the coke ever since. The key thing here to notice is that the coke company didn't realize who their customers were and totally blew it.

To reflect the "coke" story with HS, notice the slipping release date and the horrible communication around it. Do you think that if another company (such as sony, samsung, etc) sold a product that was the same size, palm OS, keyboard, etc, that we wouldnt be purchasing it? I believe if there was competition that was comperable, that many of us would of already jumped ship and bought a competitors product. Since HS has no comparable product competition (based on our standards) this hasnt happend.

Sadly, HS doesn't realize how this situation is going to impact them in the future. Competitors are already in the works of making products like treo. The people who are early adopters (people here) are the people who make the difference from product success to product failure. Take for example Microsoft Handhelds. If I were to try to help one of my friends or collegues get a new PDA phone, I would have to spend most of my time trying to explain to them why they shouldnt use a microsoft based product. They will want microsoft because its an interface they are already used to. See where I am getting at? This product already has problems comming out the door (for the masses, not for people who already like Palm), let alone take the loyal customers who are "teachers" to new users and utterally treat them like they don't matter at all. That is further proved by the pricing as well. The fact that a new adopter of Treo can get the same or better price of a treo is stupid.

So anyway, I have been long winded. To sum things up:

-Don't let this garbage to get to you, there is little we can do about it.
    -HS will pay for this situation in the future (when competition sets in).
    -The real problem is the market, and that this is still a very NEW product that isnt accepted by the masses. I would say it will still be at least 3-5 years before pdaphones are a commonplace.
    -Bottom line, the 600 is going to be an awesome product, and I am sure once we all get one that we will have a happy experience using it. It looks to be a great product.
    Of course, you are 100% right in everything you say....

The thing that we should not lose sight of is that when HumP's contact told us 11/24, he did it based upon communication with T-Mo decision makers who were motivated to make sales.

Like HS, they had every reason to want to lock people in and freeze their purchase decisions. Yet they still handed out a very disappointing target date that was likely to result in antsy early adopters to look for alternatives and have NOT wavered from it.

That date coincides neatly with the shipping dates of the Cingular units under the BIZARRE pre-order faux rollout.

HS, on the other hand, used very SQUISHY language that was intended to keep you on the hook but which gave them deniability once you started to kvetch. What does soon or shortly mean? I will tell you - one HS CSR said that it could mean anything up to and including EIGHT WEEKS. And I told you two or three weeks. But yes, you told me that two or three weeks ago...

Which takes me to the only point I disagree with you on. The Coke analogy is not on the mark, in my view.

Coke did not mislead their customers. They misread them. There is a huge difference between an innocent error based upon bad judgement and INTENTIONAL LIES.

And before the language police in these boards attack me, let me say this. You can play with words all you like. The intent to use language to produce a conclusion that you no to be incorrect is a lie. Even if it is literally true, it can be essentially false.

When HS knew they had anxious early adopters on the hook that they themselves hooked with a stream of appetite whetting emails spread out over months, when they knew they were getting large call volumes from people who they themselves characterized as early adopters essential to spreading word of mouth, they used nebulous language that they KNEW was leading people to come to conclusions that were WRONG.

All they had to do was look at these boards if they had any doubts.

So what you have with Coke is a huge innocent GAFFE. What you have with HS is a conscious deliberate effort to mislead people.

Just my opinion.
    Have any of you checked out the delays for other cell phones?

SonyEricsson and Cinbular as an example:

The T610 was unavailable here (USA) for almost 6 months after it was available in European markets. I can remember going to the Cingular store asking for the T616 because they had ads showing it and being told that they would have any for 3 weeks. When they received them 3 weeks later, They got 5 of the handsets and sold them all in 1 day.

After a week, I went back and they had received more but had sold them all again.

T-Mo and AT&T both had the T610 available before Cingular had the T616 by several weeks.

The P800 is still not widely available in the US although its replacement, the P900, has just been announced and is scheduled to begin shipping by the end of November (in Europe). It's not slated to be available in the US until January or later.

Phone companies and cellular providers do business this way. That's just the way it is.

So get a grip. It's a phone. It's cellular service. This is normal...SNAFU.
    Rob
    I know people are mad. But these unwieldy longwinded rants are tiresome. I'm mad too. But I try to check this board every day to find the lates INFORMATION (yes, I'm shouting now) and I get lost in this mess.

ADMIN: Just a suggestion, have you thought about starting a thread called the ranting zone and requiring all posts with little or no informational value to be restricted to that thread. That way, those of us hungry for information can navigate this wonderful site more efficiently.

ANGRY PEOPLE: Try venting some of your frustration offline. Kick your dog or something. If you have information, by all means, bring it on, so to speak. For the sake of kindness to animals, Hopefully you can get your own ranting and raving thread which will be distinct from INFORMATION threads.
    ....So it was HS on the grassy knoll?
    my moblog:
    <a href="http://chumprock.textamerica.com/">http://chumprock.textamerica.com/</a>
    Yes...they were in the grassy knoll and buried beneath is Jimmy H and our darn GSM Treos.
    Geraldo Rivera reported on FOXNEWS that he had his hands on the GSM Treo. He even displayed a stack of them for the camera. But MSNBC reports that Geraldo's GSM Treos were in fact Sprint Treos spray painted silver.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

So what you have with Coke is a huge innocent GAFFE. What you have with HS is a conscious deliberate effort to mislead people.

Has everyone forgotton the original announcement that the Treo 600 would be available LATE FALL? Late Fall means sometime in December! HS has actually released some of the products ahead of schedule - two months ahead in the case of the Sprint model! So, even if we have to wait until the end of November for the T-Mobile model, that's still within the timeframe of 'Late Fall'.

Patience, Grasshopper!
    Originally posted by jsl94117
    Geraldo Rivera reported on FOXNEWS that he had his hands on the GSM Treo. He even displayed a stack of them for the camera. But MSNBC reports that Geraldo's GSM Treos were in fact Sprint Treos spray painted silver.
    So THATS what he found in "Al Capone's vault"!!
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I switched to Sprint, and don't regret it one bit (from t-mo)! If you're still dying, make the switch too.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I know people are mad. But these unwieldy longwinded rants are tiresome. I'm mad too. But I try to check this board every day to find the lates INFORMATION (yes, I'm shouting now) and I get lost in this mess.

ADMIN: Just a suggestion, have you thought about starting a thread called the ranting zone and requiring all posts with little or no informational value to be restricted to that thread. That way, those of us hungry for information can navigate this wonderful site more efficiently.

ANGRY PEOPLE: Try venting some of your frustration offline. Kick your dog or something. If you have information, by all means, bring it on, so to speak. For the sake of kindness to animals, Hopefully you can get your own ranting and raving thread which will be distinct from INFORMATION threads.
    And by responding to the whining, you've assisted others in getting "lost in the mess". Since INFORMATION is what you hope to find here instead of rants, perhaps your message would have been better served if delivered by email. Of course you could apply the same logic to my message
    everyone knows there's usually delays involved with products like this.

additionally, I think the carriers were taken care of according to their investment in the phone & past Handspring phones. SPCS was obviously first along with Orange. I don't think Handspring was out to screw anyone, they just have to take care of the carriers that took care of them. Bigger investors or early investors always get taken care of first.

Of course this is just a guess.
  16.    #36  
    Originally posted by rmcalister
    Have any of you checked out the delays for other cell phones?

SonyEricsson and Cinbular as an example:

The T610 was unavailable here (USA) for almost 6 months after it was available in European markets. I can remember going to the Cingular store asking for the T616 because they had ads showing it and being told that they would have any for 3 weeks. When they received them 3 weeks later, They got 5 of the handsets and sold them all in 1 day.

After a week, I went back and they had received more but had sold them all again.

T-Mo and AT&T both had the T610 available before Cingular had the T616 by several weeks.

The P800 is still not widely available in the US although its replacement, the P900, has just been announced and is scheduled to begin shipping by the end of November (in Europe). It's not slated to be available in the US until January or later.

Phone companies and cellular providers do business this way. That's just the way it is.

So get a grip. It's a phone. It's cellular service. This is normal...SNAFU.
    I have no idea about those releases. I don't know whether they conciously misled people about availability dates. I know HS has.
  17.    #37  

Well here is something short and sweet.

If you don't like the program, change the channel. No one has a gun to your head MAKING you read the whole post.
    CNN is now reporting that HS executives ordered a staffer to shred the existing 600's.
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
  19.    #39  
    Originally posted by mfacelle

Has everyone forgotton the original announcement that the Treo 600 would be available LATE FALL? Late Fall means sometime in December! HS has actually released some of the products ahead of schedule - two months ahead in the case of the Sprint model! So, even if we have to wait until the end of November for the T-Mobile model, that's still within the timeframe of 'Late Fall'.

Patience, Grasshopper!
    No one forgot that.

Have you forgotten what Donna Dubinsky said in her investor call? That unlocked handsets would be sold via the HS web by the end of October and carrier specific handsets would be sold on their site BEFORE that?
    Whoa

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast