1.    #1  
    Mobile Republic seem to have overtaken Mobileshop for the best deal on a Treo 600. 30 as opposed to 59 for the Treo 600 on Orange anytime 200 (30 per month rental).

Cheers
    Gabriel
    Originally posted by Jumbawamba
    Mobile Republic seem to have overtaken Mobileshop for the best deal on a Treo 600. 30 as opposed to 59 for the Treo 600 on Orange anytime 200 (30 per month rental).

Cheers
    Gabriel
    For 30pm and 60 at mobileshop, you get Orange Anytime 300 - so an extra 100 free minutes a month. Since you have to stay on this tariff for at least 4 months, that's 400 free minutes. Since calls outside of the free minutes can cost anything up to 45p per minute (peak time call to other network), if we assume an average of 20p per minute, then 400 free minutes is worth 80. Therefore, if you don't intend to use the free minutes, you are better off with mobile republic; if you intend to use all the free minute you are given (which I do), you are better off with mobileshop by roughly 50.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by kmwmtd

For 30pm and 60 at mobileshop, you get Orange Anytime 300 - so an extra 100 free minutes a month. Since you have to stay on this tariff for at least 4 months, that's 400 free minutes. Since calls outside of the free minutes can cost anything up to 45p per minute (peak time call to other network), if we assume an average of 20p per minute, then 400 free minutes is worth 80. Therefore, if you don't intend to use the free minutes, you are better off with mobile republic; if you intend to use all the free minute you are given (which I do), you are better off with mobileshop by roughly 50.
    Okay, this is confusing due to the stupidly named Orange tariffs.

Mobile Republic do the same Anytime 300 deal you refer to but for only 30. I am talking about 200 minutes to use on Any Network/Anytime, what you are referring to is 300 minutes restricted to landlines and other Orange users. If you compare Mobileshop and MP Republic you will see that like-for-like they are cheaper.

Gabriel
    Come on guys-phone prices will always be cheaper here and there-the problem with the mobile republic is you can't talk to anyone on the phone-that would be a big problem if anything went wrong.
    So you may save a bit of money but be tearing your hair out!!!!
    A groups.google.com search on themobilerepublic doesn't exactly give glowing praises either

The prices are really quite good:

the Jabra Bluetooth BT200 with adapter is only 53 vs. 79 elsewhere such as mobileshop.com.

Should I risk my credit card with them?
    Not in a hurry to get the Jabra until I get my Treo unlocked, poss. next week or two.
    Where/How will you get it unlocked???
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by tobtan
    Come on guys-phone prices will always be cheaper here and there-the problem with the mobile republic is you can't talk to anyone on the phone-that would be a big problem if anything went wrong.
    Point taken, but if you can save someone 30 why not point it out? In any case I will also be taking out Orange Care cover so I don't anticipate a prolonged relationship with MP Republic.

Gabriel
    Originally posted by tobtan
    Either of these are still amazing prices. I feel very lucky to get my 600 for these kind of prices (and sorry for our non-Orange European neighbours who are having to pay so much).

Only thing is the 600 seems so crisp and fast at rendering web-pages and picking up e-mail that I'm using it a lot more than I did my 270, and this combined with mailing photos to my mac, the ever increasing avalanche of spam, and the high-graphics nature of most web-pages mean that what I've saved on the price of the 600 I'm probably going to be spending increasing the size of my GPRS bundle
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Cyril
    A groups.google.com search on themobilerepublic doesn't exactly give glowing praises either
    I don't want to sound like I work for them but look up any company e.g. DABS, MobileShop, Watford Electronics etc.. and there will be legions of people swearing they have never been so badly treated in their lives, shoddy service, second hand goods etc... A small minority can make the biggest noise, those that are satisfied tend to keep quiet. If Mobile Republic really were a criminally dishonest company, chances are Trading Standards would have shut them down long ago.

Cheers
    Gabriel
    Thanks for the info on the price-I bought mine from mobileshop and they were excellent!

Let us know how it goes with the Mobile Republic!
    I don't want to sound like I work for them but look up any company e.g. DABS, MobileShop, Watford Electronics etc.. and there will be legions of people swearing they have never been so badly treated in their lives, shoddy service, second hand goods etc... A small minority can make the biggest noise, those that are satisfied tend to keep quiet. If Mobile Republic really were a criminally dishonest company, chances are Trading Standards would have shut them down long ago.

Cheers
    Gabriel
    Dabs have been 95% OK with me, Watford 65%, Mobileshop 90% OK so far.

Never heard of themobilerepublic, but will give em a go.

Will of course blame you if it all goes titsup (along with Royal Mail of course).
    Okay, this is confusing due to the stupidly named Orange tariffs.

Mobile Republic do the same Anytime 300 deal you refer to but for only 30. I am talking about 200 minutes to use on Any Network/Anytime, what you are referring to is 300 minutes restricted to landlines and other Orange users. If you compare Mobileshop and MP Republic you will see that like-for-like they are cheaper.

Gabriel
    Sorry for the confusion. Your original e-mail only said 'anytime', not 'anytime, anynetwork'. In that case, I think you are right - mobile republic is cheaper. I would expect the prices to drop steadily now that more places are selling them.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Cyril

Dabs have been 95% OK with me, Watford 65%, Mobileshop 90% OK so far.

Never heard of themobilerepublic, but will give em a go.

Will of course blame you if it all goes titsup (along with Royal Mail of course).
    Just got off the phone with them. They are out of stock at the moment due to the Royal mail strikes (they're in South London) but they should have some new stock by Friday according to the guy I spoke to. I also tried onestopphoneshop who are also out of stock stock, but prepared to price match MP Republic - so that is 2 possible outlets who can beat mobileshop.
    If I were an impatient chap I might just say screw it, but when I think the saving equals 7 months X 3MB GPRS access, I'm prepared to wait that week

Cheers
    Gabriel
    Last edited by Jumbawamba; 11/03/2003 at 05:59 AM.
    I've dealt with Mobile Republic.

Luckily, it was only some vodafone topup cards - They went straight to 'picking' status when I bought them and stayed that way with no updates and no replies to my emails for 5 weeks.

The stuff did finally arrive, and it was very cheap; but I'd definitely think hard about buying from them if you're desperate to get your hands on the phone in a hurry.