1.    #1  
    Everyone wants to see an integrated solution for voice recording and voice dailing on the Treo 600, but what about the feature to record phone conversations on the Treo?! Wouldn't that be cool! Does anyone know if this would even be technically possible? Does the PalmOS have access to the radio to even make this possible? Also, hypothetically if PalmOne releases a Rom update (very big IF), would this update allow this functionality? Any geniuses out there than can clarify this?

P.S. I hope this question doesn't offend anyone this time!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Taking a look at the sdk header files, this should be possible.

The treo audio system is sey up like a signal switchboard, where you can hook up any input to any output, including the radio and the palm os digitizing and output. however, it doesn't look like you can direct an output to two inputs at the same time, so you would have to play some tricks to record and listen/speak at the same time.

unfortunately, while the functions are mostly defined in the headers, it doesn't appear that the digitizing is implemented in this version of the rom.

here's hoping that the rom update ships sooner rather than later!
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Everyone wants to see an integrated solution for voice recording and voice dailing on the Treo 600, but what about the feature to record phone conversations on the Treo?! Wouldn't that be cool! Does anyone know if this would even be technically possible? Does the PalmOS have access to the radio to even make this possible? Also, hypothetically if PalmOne releases a Rom update (very big IF), would this update allow this functionality? Any geniuses out there than can clarify this?

P.S. I hope this question doesn't offend anyone this time!
    We both live in Florida ... this could be dangerous as recording someone without thier permission is against the law ... yikes!

My 'Canes let me down this weekend ... I'm still grieving ... all those FSU fans are making me sick.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by jpeden
    Taking a look at the sdk header files, this should be possible.

The treo audio system is sey up like a signal switchboard, where you can hook up any input to any output, including the radio and the palm os digitizing and output. however, it doesn't look like you can direct an output to two inputs at the same time, so you would have to play some tricks to record and listen/speak at the same time.

unfortunately, while the functions are mostly defined in the headers, it doesn't appear that the digitizing is implemented in this version of the rom.

here's hoping that the rom update ships sooner rather than later!
    Thanks for the reply! Well, I guess that short answer is not anytime soon huh? I really hope you're right though and PalmOne releases a Rom update to resolve the issue you mentioned! Thanks again!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by tjd414

We both live in Florida ... this could be dangerous as recording someone without thier permission is against the law ... yikes!

My 'Canes let me down this weekend ... I'm still grieving ... all those FSU fans are making me sick.
    Is it really against the law? Hmm.. well that might put a wrinch into the plan! Also, this was an absolutely brutal weekend! UGH! Both my Canes and Dolphins got taken to the house! Man, that totally ruined my weekend...*sigh*

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I don't think it's a problem in New York.
    I think there is some work around in the law that allow you to do this is the recorder beeps every 30 sec, or something like that. I have no idea where I got this from, I just remember it from somewhere. Also I don't know if it changes State to State.
    Originally posted by tjd414

Sorry about that guys, but my Hokies needed a win bad after the debacle against West Virginia. See you in the ACC.

Alan Hamm
    Law requires that ONE of the TWO parties involved knows the call is being recorded and that recording is NOT for a third party.

You can record a phone call you participate in. No problem there, however you cannot then give that recording to someone else for their listening pleasure unless you have permission by the other party on the phone call.

Thats why telephone call centers have to say this call is being recorded because their is a third person that might listen to the call itself.

Listening to your teenagers is illegal, but unlikely to be enforced. This also applies to pocket voice recorders. Your conversations are subject to your discression.

Derek
    Eavesdropping is largely a matter of state law. Some states, like Illinois, require both parties be informed. Others, like Tennessee, require only one know. Even those may have changed since I last checked. Regardless, it'd be cool to be technically be able to record.
    it's ok and you do not have to tell anyone.
    Glen PHX
    depends in what state you live in. cause some states, you can record all you want. but in other states, you have to tell them that you're going to record the conversation.

but with other cell phones, it's a regular feature.
    just make sure you are not talking to LINDA TRIPP! hahahah, take care, jay
    Is it possible for some third-party to take Handspring's current Treo600 ROM, add the necessary voice-recorder functions, and comingle it with a ROM backup/install utility and sell it? Granted, this would probably void Handsping's warranty.

But if you had a backup of the old ROM, you couls simply reflash that if you needed a warranty claim made. Otherwise, if it worked, you now have voice-recorder functionality.

Seems like a good opportunity for some developer to beat Handspring to the punch.
  15. -c-
    Originally posted by computerfixitguy
    Law requires that ONE of the TWO parties involved knows the call is being recorded and that recording is NOT for a third party.

You can record a phone call you participate in. No problem there, however you cannot then give that recording to someone else for their listening pleasure unless you have permission by the other party on the phone call.

Thats why telephone call centers have to say this call is being recorded because their is a third person that might listen to the call itself.

Listening to your teenagers is illegal, but unlikely to be enforced. This also applies to pocket voice recorders. Your conversations are subject to your discression.

Derek
    In California you cannot record unless both parties know.
    Some devices make a bip no less than every 10-15 seconds, however I do not know in which state this is considered equivalent to inform the parties.

Other state have less limitation (i.e. only 1 party needs to know etc..)

More about it:
    http://www.rcfp.org/taping/
    Last edited by -c-; 11/03/2003 at 09:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by -c-

In California you cannot record unless both parties know.
    Some devices make a bip no less than every 10-15 seconds, however I do not know in which state this is considered equivalent to inform the parties.

Other state have less limitation (i.e. only 1 party needs to know etc..)

More about it:
    http://www.rcfp.org/taping/
    The exception of course is if you work for the federal government and the person on the other end of the phone has a foreign accent, or a funny sounding name, or skin darker than Pat Robertson, or long hair or has ever been seen near a box cutter, then record away.