Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Everybody feel free to add your "How Come's" too.

How come I can't use voice dial on my $599 phone??

How come I had to pay $19.95 for a text messaging program??
    I feel the same my friend, there should be voicedial. I have a feeling there was some sort of problem that they couldnt get working by their cuttoff date. This is understandable with the merger and holliday season. I have heard rumors of a "update" that will be downloadable from thier website in the future that enables this feature on the phone. Lets hope for this.

SMS for 19$... wow that is rape in my opinioin. I am unsure which carrier you are with but tmobile gives me 550 messages for $2.99.
    Just to clarify: The SMS problem is squarely a Sprint issue and the result of the lack of that functionality of their network. You really can't blame PalmOne (HS) for that since the GSM version obviously does have this. In fact, if MO-SMS was really that important and vital a functionality for you, then you probably should have bought the GSM version. Anyway, the only silver lining is that Sprint should be rolling out their MO-SMS feature by the end of this year and its been reported that the Treo 600 will most definitely be compatible with this. Also, regarding Treo600SMS: IMO this may be a better deal than MO-SMS from Sprint b/c you will only be paying a one-time payment instead of a monthly fee (rumored to be ~$5-10/month).

However, the lack of voice dial truely is imo a huge deficiency in the device. Its been reported that HS didn't have enough time or resources to finish that part of the software, but that still is not an adequate excuse for such an expensive device. Also, the conspiratorial side of my brain wants to beleive that Sprint encouraged HS to purposefully omit this feature in order to spur sales of the Voice dial add-on ($5/month), but that wouldn't explain why the GSM version also have this lacking...Anyway, the only hope in this regard are reports that PalmOne may shortly release a Rom upgrade for the T600 that will allow this, but none of that is confirmable. Alas, we can only wait...

P.S. I'm not sure if this will work, but Sprint previously agreed to pay for Treo300SMS for T300 owners and I wonder if they would do the same for Treo600SMS. Probably not b/c they're about to release their own service, but it might be worth a shot to ask...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    How come my $600 phone didn't come with a cradle and a car charger and a decent case?

How come I don't have voice recording?

How come the ringers & vibration are so weak?

How come there are icons and URL's on my phone, that I can't get rid of?
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    Originally posted by Doug Hillman
    How come my $600 phone didn't come with a cradle and a car charger and a decent case?

How come I don't have voice recording?

How come the ringers & vibration are so weak?

How come there are icons and URL's on my phone, that I can't get rid of?
    A decent case and cradle will set you back another few bucks.
    I would rather pay $600 and choose my accesories than pay $700 for some nicer accesories I don't need.

A 512MB SD card would be much more useful to me!

I'm sure someone is working on voice recording.

You can download some better louder ringers - search this forum.

I'm working on removing icons/URLs for the UK Orange version.

Brayder is working on a version of Jack Flash that should allow you to remove some things in the ROM.

You can delete all the unecessary favorites containing URLs etc... except for one (at least on the UK Orange version).

I've also written a program to back these up so I can get them back or change them whenever I want.
  6.    #6  
    HOW COME I lock my phone so my girlfriend can't see my incoming calls and picture caller id... and there they go, popping up in full color while im in the shower!?

HOW COME somebody will attempt to answer that question?

HOW COME I have a link that will not let me delete?
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by TreoDaddeo6
    [B]HOW COME I lock my phone so my girlfriend can't see my incoming calls and picture caller id... and there they go, popping up in full color while im in the shower!?
    Better question: How come you need to hide your calls from your girlfriend? hehe

Solution: Turn off the phone portion when taking a shower.
  8.    #8  
    HOW COME I knew NjChris was going to answer that question?

HOW COME I was late to work?

HOW COME I don't feel I'm getting my full 4 hr talk time on my phone?

and HOW COME my screen won't shut off for a minute when I'm on a call?
    HOW COME purpleX won't tell us what smart device he uses?

HOW COME I can't delete two of my Favorites?

HOW COME the reals Docs to Go wasn't loaded?

HOW COME Biz Conn doesn't work but SEVEN does?

HOW COME Kurt doesn't seem to visit as much as he has in the past?

HOW COME I'm still posting?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Originally posted by tjd414

HOW COME the reals Docs to Go wasn't loaded?
    That the best HOW Come yet. Good Question!
    HOW COME the same phone on a different carrier includes software that the Sprint version doesn't? I'm referring to the mail program which will also attach pictures stored in ram. the GSM version has it, the cdma doesn't - phone costs the same price.

I know the answer though...it's b/c Sprint want's to charge you an extra $5/month to use their picture share service. So it wouldn't be in their best interest to include a free mail program that let you bypass that. Instead you have to buy a third party email program and an sd card to get around it.
  12.    #12  
    How Come the phone only comes with one stylus?

How come I got excited when I thought Handspring slipped up and accidentally stuck a real memory card in the phone, lol.

How come I have a Hitachi G1000 coming in the mail from equip replacement just for the hell of it?

How come my $50 case still hasn't arrived?

and How come I'll be waiting on my porch all this morning to catch them when it comes?
    how come mine isnt here yet?!?!?!?
  14.    #14  
    How Come I stayed on the porch waiting and waiting for my case to come and waited myself into being X
    how come my $599 T600...........

doesn't have more ringer formats other than .midi?

my sanyo 8100 had .qcp files that are basically converted .wav (mono) files that I could make from "ANY" sound. It didn't have to be some synthetic midi sound or some mid 80's arcade sound.

A new audio/video format for phones that DoComo is using is call 3gpp (.3gp) and I'd like to see PalmOne adopt this since it's an open format (not microsoft proprietary crap). It's good for anything that can be played on a phone. This includes streaming from a server as well.

If your interested in following up on this technology:

http://www.apple.com/mpeg4/3gpp/

This would take care of any deficit I have with spending $599 on my T600.

There's a suggestion link on handspring's website. I'd suggest everyone reply their needs there as well.
    HOW COME calls gets missed with no notifications?

HOW COME there are two speakers when everybody else manages to route all the sounds through one?

HOW COME do we need an adapter for stupid headphones?

HOW COME there's no limit on speaker volume, causing us to blow it?

HOW COME the phone sometimes doesn't recognize it when the a headphone is unplugged?

HOW COME Handspring's QA sucks so much?

HOW COME we can't listen to mp3 on the handsfree headset?

HOW COME the battery indicator sometimes screws up?

HOW COME the battery doesn't charge sometimes?

HOW COME the camera sucks so much, while a much smaller Nokia has a WAY better camera with lenses just as small?

HOW COME I AM NOT GOING TO BUY A TREO NOW??????
    Originally posted by conflagrare

HOW COME I AM NOT GOING TO BUY A TREO NOW??????
    Good! Goodbye!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  18.    #18  
    How come your so right on the money???
    Originally posted by CyrilW

A decent case and cradle will set you back another few bucks.
    I would rather pay $600 and choose my accesories than pay $700 for some nicer accesories I don't need.

A 512MB SD card would be much more useful to me!

I'm sure someone is working on voice recording.

You can download some better louder ringers - search this forum.

I'm working on removing icons/URLs for the UK Orange version.

Brayder is working on a version of Jack Flash that should allow you to remove some things in the ROM.

You can delete all the unecessary favorites containing URLs etc... except for one (at least on the UK Orange version).

I've also written a program to back these up so I can get them back or change them whenever I want.
    No way. The profit margin on these things has gotta be high enough that HS coulda thrown us a bone with a cradle or at least a case with a belt clip. I received a cradle with every one of my previous PDA's & phones ('cept the Treo 300.)

As for all the aftermarket solutions, yeah I know they're available (or may soon be available.) But a $600 convergence device that (I assume) went through alot of design and testing shouldn't be missing some of these basic things.

The ringers & vibe are particularly grating. Did every test of these things go on in a soundproof room with the device sitting face down on a hard surface? You can't tell me that no one noticed the weakness of the ringer and the vibe. I shouldn't HAVE to DL louder ringers on a $600 phone, especially one from a company that's been doing this for a coupla years.

Remember that most t600 users will NEVER come here (or similar sites) and see that there are louder ringers and 3rd party solutions available. Despite it being a techie device, those of us who seek out places like this and are constantly looking for solutions & upgrades are in the minority. Besides, as I said, a $600 device shouldn't need upgrading and 3rd party solutions for basic things.
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
  20.    #20  
    How come the Treo is still a deal for the money?

How come when that G1000 comes tomorrow I am going to sell it on Ebay and use it towards the purchase of laptop?

And how come when text messages come to my phone while im on the net typing a message in a box the screen gets all messed up even though I didn't answer the message?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast