Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just like I told ya...

its out.... the first 3500 orders will be shipping on tuesday, everyone else will basically be on a waiting list, I dont know if its unlocked..... so I can't tell T-Mob people or others what to do, but this is a nice development.

I am vindicated.... so pleased that my info was solid. getting close.

-Mike

Here is the original thread:

Earlier Post
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    [B]Just like I told ya...

its out.... the first 3500 orders will be shipping on tuesday,
    Thanks for all your insights. Just ordered one!
    Hope your right about this cuz it says that they are taking pre-orders only.

"We are currently taking pre-orders for Treo 600 with Cingular Wireless service. We expect to begin processing orders on November 17, 2003. However, we are anticipating extremely high demand which could result in additional delays once orders begin to ship."

T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    According to http://www.handspring.com/support/sp...ping_msg.jhtml it won't ship until the 17th.

Oh well, I guess I'll order one in the hope that it's unlocked... I can always sell it (or maybe get a friend with Cingular to unlock it for me.)
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    "Handspring.com will have UNLOCKED units as well as some of the carrier branded units on their site on the third (11.3) ..."

Actually, this is your quote from the original thread. And therefore it appears that your info was not really accurate - certainly not for T-Mo subscribers, anyway (although 11/3 has not even arrived and so this could yet come true - yeah, right...)

But nice try.
    I agree. As far as I can tell it's not unlocked otherwise why does it not offer the unlocked version if you say you are a T-Mobile customer.

Additionally, it sure doesn't seem like anyting is going to ship this week based on the website info. Maybe this is wrong, but it doesn't seem it.

It sure looks like T-Mobile customers are hung out to dry until after 11/24 (looks like they only run promos for one carrier at a time based on this pattern).

Originally posted by boardoe
    "Handspring.com will have UNLOCKED units as well as some of the carrier branded units on their site on the third (11.3) ..."

Actually, this is your quote from the original thread. And therefore it appears that your info was not really accurate - certainly not for T-Mo subscribers, anyway (although 11/3 has not even arrived and so this could yet come true - yeah, right...)

But nice try.
    Okay ... so the GSM units are finally available. But, as far as anyone can tell, they are locked to Cingular's network.

Hawaii has no Cingular coverage that I know of. So switching networks really isn't an option for me. Buying it at ~$700 isn't either.

Hopefully WeeBit's contact will be true to his word and contact the people on "the list" just before T-Mobile's release. That was I can get a decent price, on a known ship date, with a guaranteed order.

I'm waiting it out for the T-Mobile release. Maybe Cingular's early adopters may be able to shed some light on the features/downfalls of the GSM version!
  7. MrH
    Just like I told ya...

its out.... the first 3500 orders will be shipping on tuesday, everyone else will basically be on a waiting list, I dont know if its unlocked..... so I can't tell T-Mob people or others what to do, but this is a nice development.

-Mike

Earlier Post
    WeeBit is the man when it comes to the info...now do you know when the GSM Unlocked/Unbranded version will be available for order and with discount?
    Just like I told ya...

-Mike

Earlier Post
    Nothing personal, but for someone who was giving the impression that T-Mobile units would be available today based on your posts suggesting users place pre-orders with your contact at T-Mobile, and so far, only Cingular orders units are being taken, I hardly see this as reliable information. Furthermore, Handspring says this is a pre-order, and no shipping for almost two weeks, or at the earliest, November 17, with a further disclaimer of likely shortages.

In fact, the "other" reliable source on this board said November 24th for T-Mobile, and nixed any possible interim date from the get go when rumors were flying about earlier dates, so it appears at this point, that he has the reliable accurate information.

The only question remains is, are if the unlocked units that are scheduled to ship from Ingram today. That may very well be the case, but it still won't be a T-Mobile unit, and it won't allow upgraders to buy a Treo at the upgrade price.

I would venture to say that 90%, if not more of the GSM users here are T-Mobile customers, and a Cingular release is hardly a reason to rejoice.
    shf
    FWIW, when I bought my T180 and 270s from HS under Cingular, the units were UNlocked but did have the Cingualr branded browser. They worked fine in Europe with local SIMs. I just ordered my T600 GSM Cingular from HS. Once I get it, I'll check with Cingular CS and see if it is locked or not.
    WeeBit, according to HS/P1, they won't be shipping any Cingular units until Nov 17. You're saying that the first 3500 orders will be shipping on Tuesday. Can you confirm this?
    Several others are reporting that HS CSRs tell them that Cingular Treo 600 are sim unlocked, but it does contain Cingular specific software.

No actual user reports in as of yet, but the Handspring reps have confirmed this over and over. Based on similar past user experience, this seems reasonable.

Just an FYI...
    Just like I told ya...

-Mike

Earlier Post
    Well.......

It seems like the only way you get to be right is if you think that it's right to lie. Because the only way you can get an unlocked unit is to lie and say you are using it with a Cingular plan.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

Well.......

It seems like the only way you get to be right is if you think that it's right to lie. Because the only way you can get an unlocked unit is to lie and say you are using it with a Cingular plan.
    Nope. I told the HS CSR that I was a T-Mobile user who wanted to buy the unlocked Cingular CSR to use with T-Mobile. They were completely fine with it.
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    It sure looks like T-Mobile customers are hung out to dry until after 11/24 (looks like they only run promos for one carrier at a time based on this pattern).

If this is true, AND it's true that HS doesn't want to p*ss off Carriers by selling unlocked versions before the carriers have had a chance to run their promotions, what about AT&T? Would that mean that we can't buy an unlocked T600 form HS until after AT&T's promotion is over???????????

Back in the summer I was so eager for fall. Now I'm wishing for winter...who'd a thunk it. In the back of my mind I was hoping to at least have it for Christmas. Alas...
    I like the avatar
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by heberman

Nope. I told the HS CSR that I was a T-Mobile user who wanted to buy the unlocked Cingular CSR to use with T-Mobile. They were completely fine with it.
    The terms of their loyalty discount require you to purchase the phone for use in connection with your Cingular plan.
    Originally posted by tDot

If this is true, AND it's true that HS doesn't want to p*ss off Carriers by selling unlocked versions before the carriers have had a chance to run their promotions, what about AT&T? Would that mean that we can't buy an unlocked T600 form HS until after AT&T's promotion is over???????????

Back in the summer I was so eager for fall. Now I'm wishing for winter...who'd a thunk it. In the back of my mind I was hoping to at least have it for Christmas. Alas...
    People around here like to blame the carriers rather than HS. You hear all sorts of nonsense about how vewwy vewwy stwong the carriers are and how vewwwy vewwwy weak HS is.

I don't buy it for ONE MINUTE.

No one has a greater investment in the smooth release of its signature product than the company that owns the product.

It is their job to do whatever they have to do to be connected to their carriers to that they know exactly what their requirements are and then to meet those requirements in a way that coordinates with their end-user marketing efforts.

Indeed, if they are as weak as their alibi artists like to think, then it's all the more important for them to be all the more vigilant and timely in catering to the people who hold them and their company captive.

Clearly they haven't done the job. And I believe that they have LIED knowingly and consciously. Not to a legal standard, mind you.

But my instincts scream out that there was great substance to the 11/24 info that was reported here as firm by T-Mo insiders and, indeed, that date hasn't move an inch in close to a month now. Unlike all the other dates that slip and slide.

And now you see that the Cingular promo date ends....11/24. Hmmmm.

As the man in Jaws said - this is NO boating accident...at least in my opinion.

You have to laugh - there is also something very odd going on regarding the "pre-order" approach they took with Cingular.

There is no earthly reason for that at all. There is no rocket science to shipping phones. I've been told by a couple of CSRs that they've seen the GSM products boxed and ready to go, merely awaiting shipping labels. What's more, HS now has joined forces with Palm, which has a huge investment in the launch (since, more or less, all they bought was the 600). So they could, if needed, provide additional people to handle order fulfillment if bottlenecks was the reason.

But it seems to me that it's clearly NOT the reason. They didn't wait long to ship Sprint after they started with Orange. And they've also shipped elsewhere in the world. But the first US GSMs will be shipped almost SIX weeks after the Sprint launch.

There's no good reason for that if you think about it. The only thing that makes sense is that they are loading up the pipeline for Cingular while they work with TM0 and AT&T to get their customization finalized, but still trying to co-ordinate the release of the GSMs accross their carrier network.

It seems that what is happening is that since Cingular has completed their work and is ready to launch, HS is allowing Cingular orders, but not order fulfillment. This way Cingular gets half a loaf for finishing - and the ability to perhaps get a few of TMo and AT&T's customers (which, in turn is incentive for these 2 carriers to move things along). But the shipping is going to be more closely coordinated. Who knows, maybe they lied to Cingular too about all those Sprint orders clogging up the pipeline (as they merrily ship elsewhere world wide with no slowdown in sight....)/.

I predict that there will not be a material shipping difference between Cingular and TM0/AT&T - a week tops, which coincides with the expiration of the Cingular loyalty program and the info we've received regarding the 11/24 Tmo launch. As a matter of fact, we may not see a day's worth of difference in shipping - the two weeks may very well be within the timeframe they believe they need to finish the Tmo and AT&T customization so that they can take orders for those carriers while shipping all three simultaneously.

Indeed, the HS site says that they will add the TMo and AT&T to the Cingular program. The Cingular program expires in three weeks and that tells you they will add it to the program within the next three weeks. This is the hardest information that HS has given regarding TMO and AT&T release dates.

At the end of the day, something very strange is going on here - it seems to me that what is likely the case is what I said above - and that means that the HS corporate LIARS are basically managing everyone with Clintonesque flair.

I tell you, I just pray for the day that Sony blasts Palm out of the water, buys their operating system and starts churning out killer products.

These people are the PITS.
    I'm not sure what "terms" you are talking about, Zipmitz. I told HS I was a T-Mobile customer, and wanted to purchase an unlocked Cingular T-600 for use with T-Mobile. I discussed compatibility issues with using Cingular's "optimized" phone with T-Mobile with two different CSR's. They both told me I could return the phone if it didn't perform satisfactory with T-Mobile.

There is no "lying" going on. They offered the phone and discount to me.
    Originally posted by heberman
    I'm not sure what "terms" you are talking about, Zipmitz. I told HS I was a T-Mobile customer, and wanted to purchase an unlocked Cingular T-600 for use with T-Mobile. I discussed compatibility issues with using Cingular's "optimized" phone with T-Mobile with two different CSR's. They both told me I could return the phone if it didn't perform satisfactory with T-Mobile.

There is no "lying" going on. They offered the phone and discount to me.
    Here is clipped language from the HS site:

"This offer is currently available with plans from Cingular Wireless until November 24, 2003. We expect service from AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile to be available soon. When AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile service become available, we will add them to this reward program."
    Since the Cingular version is unlocked it seems that your point about plans is mute unless you need to get service with it. Handspring is not stopping anyone from buying any 600 model based on their carrier..they are simply saying that you can get the discount if you buy one of the phones currently being offered. I ordered mine yesterday after talking to a number of reps. I told them straight up that I was a TMO user and they said no problem...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast