1.    #1  
    Is there any software that allows playing WMA files on the Treo 600?
  2. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    -diito-
    The upfront cost to support WMA on a non-Windows device is $10,000 USD, and so far, no developer has been willing to front that amount of money on speculation that it would increase player sales enough to cover it and the ongoing license fees.
  4. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    That's a shame...

Because, just about every portable music device supports WMA.

Seems that a bigger SW house could front that cash...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the information. I agree, it is a shame. Some time ago, I began using the WMA format (on my Reo Sport player) instead of MP3 format as I found that the file sizes are significantly smaller, and I can fit more on a card.
    Try the oggvorbis format.

File sizes are roughly equivalent to WMA, if not better.

Plus it is already supported right now. And this is an open source format. Meaning no royalites have to be paid by anyone - you, me, or the software developer- ever!

All in all, a much better solution, in my opinion. However, I sympathize with you if you already have music in the WMA format. Converting a lot of files from one format to the other is time consuming, plus if you are going from one lossy format (WMA) to another (Ogg) you will lose some quality.

Your best bet is to re-rip the files if you have the original CD. If not, keep the WMA copy on your desktop, and convert a copy into Ogg for use on the Treo. There was a program listed on these boards that will help ease the conversion, but I don't remember the name of it. Do a forum search, and you'll find it.