1.    #1  
    Folks,

I am a long time 7135 user (somewhat happy) and am considering switching to a Treo 600 on Sprint or a GSM carrier from Verizon. Our company has a lot of phones with Verizon and we are evaluating other carries that are more price competitive.

I had several questions about Sprint and the 600 that I was hoping to get some feedback from...

1) Sprint now has a $5 add on to any plan that allows you to roam for free when off their network. I assume this means that the Treo would roam 900MHZ CDMA and Analog to Verizon when Sprint coverage is lacking. Is this correct?

2) I use the unlimited data option with my 7135 hooked up to my laptop when I travel. Can you do this with the Treo 600 on Sprints unlimited plan?

And here are some questions about the GSM TREO...

1) Does it have the capability to use the two European frequency standards as well as 1900 Mhz, and the new 850 Mhz GSM standard being rolled out by AT&T?

2) How fast is the GPRS data compared to 1XRTT (Sprint and Verizon)? Do any of the companies offer unlimited plans that can be used with a laptop?

And some general TREO questions...

1) The 7135 has had software problems since the beginning and this is my biggest beef with the phone. For example, Datbk5 alarms that go off during a call often cause a soft reset. How stable have people found the 600 to be, and is anyone using it with DateBk5? Do alarms from third party programs generally work well?

2) When the unit is in silent mode, does it also cause all third party programs that raise alarms to cause vibrate instead?

3) Has anyone used a program like Trip Pilot with a GPS hooked up to the unit?

And finally…on November 21st you are supposed to be able to switch carriers and keep your phone number (long delayed FCC mandate). Sprint says they are ready. Are all the carriers going to support this on time?

Many thanks in advance for answers…

Glenn
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,

I am a long time 7135 user (somewhat happy) and am considering switching to a Treo 600 on Sprint or a GSM carrier from Verizon. Our company has a lot of phones with Verizon and we are evaluating other carries that are more price competitive.

I had several questions about Sprint and the 600 that I was hoping to get some feedback from...

1) Sprint now has a $5 add on to any plan that allows you to roam for free when off their network. I assume this means that the Treo would roam 900MHZ CDMA and Analog to Verizon when Sprint coverage is lacking. Is this correct?

2) I use the unlimited data option with my 7135 hooked up to my laptop when I travel. Can you do this with the Treo 600 on Sprints unlimited plan?

1) Does it have the capability to use the two European frequency standards as well as 1900 Mhz, and the new 850 Mhz GSM standard being rolled out by AT&T?

2) How fast is the GPRS data compared to 1XRTT (Sprint and Verizon)? Do any of the companies offer unlimited plans that can be used with a laptop?

1) The 7135 has had software problems since the beginning and this is my biggest beef with the phone. For example, Datbk5 alarms that go off during a call often cause a soft reset. How stable have people found the 600 to be, and is anyone using it with DateBk5? Do alarms from third party programs generally work well?

2) When the unit is in silent mode, does it also cause all third party programs that raise alarms to cause vibrate instead?

And finally…on November 21st you are supposed to be able to switch carriers and keep your phone number (long delayed FCC mandate). Sprint says they are ready. Are all the carriers going to support this on time?

Many thanks in advance for answers…

Glenn
    1) The Treo 600 has no analog capability, so it would not be able to roam on analog.

2) That is correct. It silences the speaker completely, so no games or anything make noise.

4) We'll find out when the time comes.....
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Glen,

On the GSM: The T600 is quad band [850/900/1800/1900] according to Handspring's docs. They also claim AT&T compatibility when (if?) the GSM version is released.

GPRS should be faster, but it is generally bandwidth limited by the carrier, the phone, and local signal strength. You'd probably have to do a side-by-side to really tell. I haven't had any real complaints with GPRS yet, though, and I understand that the T600 has more channels available than my ol' T180, so that should help. I believe TMO has unlimited bandwith for $30/mo, and Cingular is priced at per kB->$75/mo for unlimited...

As far as WLNP, it depends. From the Cingular website:
    "WLNP will be available in the 102 largest metropolitan areas of the United States by November 24, 2003. Outside these metro areas, it may be offered by the end of May 2004. "
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    More info on the Sprint Treo 600 and roaming: the T600 is duel band digital so it can do 800 and 1900 MHz digital, but no analog. As far as the $5 free roaming option is concerned, its still a good deal because the phone will roam on verizon's digital network (verizon phones don't support analog as it is). So, you'll be covered pretty well.

The CDMA version of the Treo 600 operates at 800MHz and 1900MHz Digital only. It can roam on Verizon's digital network, but cannot do analog roaming.

You'll need a program called PDANet that will allow your PC/laptop to use the Treo as a MODEM. Keep in mind that Sprint has a policy against using its networks for this purpose. If you are discovered doing this, Sprint will kill your service.

The GSM Treo 600 is quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz). It will work in Europe without issues.

The GSM version is a Class 10 GPRS device meaning that it will operate (realistically) at about 48kb/s. Not as fast as Sprint's vision network, but faster than current Treo 180/270 models which are only GPRS Class 2.

T-Mobile offers unlimited data services for $19.95/mo if you have a qualifying voice plan of $39.95/mo or more. The plan is $10 more if you don't have a qualifying voice plan. To my knowledge, they do not restrict its use as Sprint does.

I cannot answer this from personal experience on the Treo 600, but Datebk5 works well on my Treo 270. (No resets).

When you flip the silent ringer switch to "silent" ALL sounds are silenced (system, games, alarms, phone). Depending on the application, the vibrate MAY work. That is a function of how the program was written. On my Treo 270, Datebk5 doesn't use the vibrate with its alarms.

I have no experience with this.

That's a question best asked of each carrier. T-Mobile has details of how you can switch to them and keep your number.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.