Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    and where? I need to buy it. Thanks for any help.
  2.    #3  
    yeah but $40-50 for email app. yikes!
    Originally posted by craigdts
    I remember at one point, it was $99. Crazy!
    I have tried four other email programs and frankly, Snappermail is by far the best for POP3 mail service and support. You pay for it once and not again (unlike a couple of others that charge you something every year). It works well with support programs for attachments/opening file, et cetera. It is fast, stable and easy to set up multiple accounts with (something another equally expensive one cannot). Software support is also a very big plus and hey, it works well with the Treo 300 and 600. You might check www.palmgear.com - they might have it on sale.

Ben
    --------

I purchased Snappermail, but to be honest I don't see that many advantages over Eudora which is free. It is a bit nicer, but for basically reading text email Eudora wouldn't be much of a downgrade.

...ken
  6. purpleZ
    and where? I need to buy it. Thanks for any help.
    Or you could just ask derek985 for a pirated copy of the Handspring email client like several hundred others here have done. I wonder how many of those people would have also bought SnapperMail and helped keep this great app's producer able to make a living.

Each 100 sales of SnapperMail stopped by derek985's posting = $5000 out of the pocket of a good, independent developer. Way to go, Derek.
    you might want to consider buying it from HANDANGO, b/c they have a frequent buyer's program and you get points toward other software. So it helps down the road, take care, jay
    Originally posted by purpleZ

Or you could just ask derek985 for a pirated copy of the Handspring email client like several hundred others here have done. I wonder how many of those people would have also bought SnapperMail and helped keep this great app's producer able to make a living.

Each 100 sales of SnapperMail stopped by derek985's posting = $5000 out of the pocket of a good, independent developer. Way to go, Derek.
    Did you ever think if someone was looking for a free app that most likely they aren't going to buy one anyway. As good as Handspring's email app could be, it doesn't mean that it will stop sales of Snappermail. What happens if Handspring does decide to releas the email app for CDMA phones, are you still going to whine that snapper mail programmer's can't eat.

Whoa, I hope you have a ladder to dismount the high horse you ride around on. Confidential to purpleZ: people who steal $40 software wouldn't buy it at that price anyway.

PS: Snapperfish needs a reality check: $40 for a secondary email client isn't exactly intelligent. If they wanted to prevent piracy and/or expand their customer base (and profits) they might consider a sane business model.
    Since my wife and I both purchased Treo 300's at the same time - I used Eudora (free) and she used Treo Mail (paid for hers and an annual fee). I had no problems setting mine up to check two POP3 accounts and never had any problems connecting. TreoMail had a few problems and so on. Anyway, I came across Snappermail, tried it, like it, gave a copy to my wife and she registered before I did with the standard version. I registered mine with the secure version a couple of days later. I went from free to pay and frankly have no problems with paying for a program that meets my needs. $40 is not cheap, but look at the competition - they are about the same.

Ben

============

Originally posted by reverland

Did you ever think if someone was looking for a free app that most likely they aren't going to buy one anyway. As good as Handspring's email app could be, it doesn't mean that it will stop sales of Snappermail. What happens if Handspring does decide to releas the email app for CDMA phones, are you still going to whine that snapper mail programmer's can't eat.
  11. purpleZ

I believe a lot of the people pirating the Handspring email program may have paid for another program if the stolen copy was not available. Given a choice between free and paying, it's not surprising to see people steal. Remove the option of piracy and they buy the commercial app. People pirating these applications are too selfish to think about how their actions affect others.

If Handspring releases the email app, then good for Handspring. That would mean it likely was done with Sprint's blessing and will bring more much-needed revenues into the company. I have no problem with Handspring competing with another commercial product on a level playing field. (And unless Handspring undercuts the price of SnapperMail, they probably would not sell as well.)

I think you and many of those who made angry knee-jerk posts about this issue fail to see the bigger picture. Think about it. I hope eventually you'll see my point.
    Please do not include me with the "knee jerk" people. I prefer to operate honestly - who knows, when it comes time for an answer, it is possible to go directly to the source for assistance. Also, it allows me much more freedom with its use and I don't have to worry about being accused of stealing.

Have a great one. Ben

-------

I believe a lot of the people pirating the Handspring email program may have paid for another program if the stolen copy was not available. Given a choice between free and paying, it's not surprising to see people steal. Remove the option of piracy and they buy the commercial app. People pirating these applications are too selfish to think about how their actions affect others.

If Handspring releases the email app, then good for Handspring. That would mean it likely was done with Sprint's blessing and will bring more much-needed revenues into the company. I have no problem with Handspring competing with another commercial product on a level playing field. (And unless Handspring undercuts the price of SnapperMail, they probably would not sell as well.)

I think you and many of those who made angry knee-jerk posts about this issue fail to see the bigger picture. Think about it. I hope eventually you'll see my point.
  13. purpleZ
    Originally posted by bclinger
    Please do not include me with the "knee jerk" people. I prefer to operate honestly - who knows, when it comes time for an answer, it is possible to go directly to the source for assistance. Also, it allows me much more freedom with its use and I don't have to worry about being accused of stealing.

Have a great one. Ben

-------

Sorry if you got the impression I was referring to you. It was nice to see a post from someone that actually pays for their programs. Piracy is a huge problem with the Palm platform and people pretend it doesn't exist. It seems like many of the people at Treocentral don't care whether or not their software is stolen. (Asking whether or not people have ever used pirated applications would make an interesting poll here.) Unfortunately, this site is a perfect venue for that type of activity. It will be interesting to see if the site owners stop warez trading from now on.

Since the original (very revealing) thread has now been tucked away by this site's moderators, here's an intelligent post from that thread that was made before the thread was "locked".

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t40555/s.html

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    If the app was available for sale elsewhere I could see the argument that it's warez. The fact that it was included in the Treo 600 emulator tells me that it should be an included application. I don't think the choice of network GSM vs. CDMA should impact the software available on the machine. In effect, they are handicapping the device in an effort to sell extra software (Sprint's BC). That may be legal, but it's just not right.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, technically it IS for sale (as part of the GSM Treo 600). Since the CDMA version does not include the software, your license to use the software does not apply to the Sprint Treo 600. You don't own the software simply because you obtained it for no money through the emulator or through a third-party. PalmOne (Handspring) retains ownership of the software. If they didn't license you to use it on a Sprint Treo 600, then technically you are breaking the law if you obtain, install, and use it on a Sprint Treo 600.

The choice of carrier is at the heart of the matter. Sprint and Handspring have established contracts with each other concerning the software that will be included with the product. I agree that Sprint's restrictions on what can be included are a handicap. It's not "nice", but they aren't in business to be nice. They're in business to make money.

With that said, Handspring does have the legal right to restrict the distribution of the e-mail client for the purpose of protecting the interests of its partner Sprint. It's doubtful that they will do anything to prevent people from using the e-mail client (after the sale), but they will certainly not violate the agreement that they have with Sprint and include the e-mail client on the Sprint version. They can't be blamed for that.

"Go Go Gadget Treo!!"
    Treo 270 GSM/GPRS on T-Mobile
    Again you can argue this all you want, all I am saying is that you can't pull statistics out of no where and say x number of people would have bought this app had you not offered it for free. There are open source programs that download mail, there is Eudora mail, and on top of that most Treo users have the Business Vision plan for free and can use that. So I don't see how you can justify that they would have bought snapper with so many other options open to them for free. If there were no other free email apps out there then I would be more inclined to listen to your statistics, but people are cheap, and just because an alternative program isn't as good it doesn't mean they still want use it just not to have to pay money.
  15. purpleZ
    Again you can argue this all you want, all I am saying is that you can't pull statistics out of no where and say x number of people would have bought this app had you not offered it for free. There are open source programs that download mail, there is Eudora mail, and on top of that most Treo users have the Business Vision plan for free and can use that. So I don't see how you can justify that they would have bought snapper with so many other options open to them for free. If there were no other free email apps out there then I would be more inclined to listen to your statistics, but people are cheap, and just because an alternative program isn't as good it doesn't mean they still want use it just not to have to pay money.

Obviously, it's impossible to say how many lost sales for Snappermail and other commercial email applications posting the pirated copy has caused. But even the loss of one sale is too many. From the tone of your posts, you're incapable of grasping this fact. (No offence intended.)
    purplez...give it a rest. you've now hijacked 2 threads and started 1 on of your own.

people will do what they want regardless of how many times you post your rants.

i don't disagree with you in principle but i don't think hijacking a thread that has nothing to do with cracks\warez is the appropriate forum

Obviously, it's impossible to say how many lost sales for Snappermail and other commercial email applications posting the pirated copy has caused. But even the loss of one sale is too many. From the tone of your posts, you're incapable of grasping this fact. (No offence intended.)
    Don't offend someone, then say no offence. I am capable of grasping what you are saying, my argument has been that don't quote made up statistics. I agree that one sale lost is horrible, but neither you nor I can say with any accuracy that this is the case. None of the mentioned free palm apps or Handspring's email app is capable of competing with snapper mail, but that doesn't mean that there are people out there that will shell out $40 to use it. Just as there are people who won't flinch about paying $40 in order to use a superiour product.

Don't offend someone, then say no offence. I am capable of grasping what you are saying, my argument has been that don't quote made up statistics. I agree that one sale lost is horrible, but neither you nor I can say with any accuracy that this is the case. None of the mentioned free palm apps or Handspring's email app is capable of competing with snapper mail, but that doesn't mean that there are people out there that will shell out $40 to use it. Just as there are people who won't flinch about paying $40 in order to use a superiour product.
    Did you know that 67.3498734312 % of statistics are made up on the spot?
    Two points:

SnapperMail was worth every penny (I bought during the beta period so it was a bit cheaper, but I forget). I know that it is beyond what some users would pay for an email program. However, I have a hard time believing that a great many buyers of the Treo 600, who shell out anywhere between $400 and $600 for a phone/PDA, would have a problem paying $40 for an excellent email program. I am also getting lifetime upgrades, and at the rate SM's development is going, I actually feel that I have got myself a great bargain!

The Handspring POP3 email client is very good. I think it will cut into SnapperMail's sales. I've used it on the emulator and it is a very respectible email client that will satisfy most users and they won't go out looking for a replacement.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast