Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The developers of MMPlayer have just made available a new version 0.2.5 that fixes many of the issues of the earlier versions.

Here are the Treo 600 specific fixes:

Bugfixes:
    * Treo 600 fullscreen mode
    * Nag text caused a crash after ~45 sec on Treo 600
    * Black rectangle on Treo 600

I have tried it and it seems very stable. You can now rotate the screen, use fullscreen mode, and zoom the screen.

Be sure to download the latest Treo600 skin to enable fullscreen mode.

After a few weeks of trying, I have finally come up with a Virtualdub configuration that allows for rock solid DIVX encoding. Video is very smooth and Audio/Video sync problems have been non existent.

Give it a try ... IMO it beats Kinoma Player hands down.
    After a few weeks of trying, I have finally come up with a Virtualdub configuration that allows for rock solid DIVX encoding. Video is very smooth and Audio/Video sync problems have been non existent.
    Could you please explain in detail your virtualdub settings? TIA...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    First ... don't use any version of Virtualdub above 1.5.4. Newer versions don't seem to function well. I am using 1.5.1

Secondly be sure to download the latest DIVX codec and the Lame MP3 codec.

After that, try using this Virtualdub configuration file (click File, Load Processing Settings). I have been using it to encode sucessfully in the DIVX format.

VirtualDub Configuration File

Hope it helps.
    do you get file sizes comparable to the Kinoma Producer using this setup?
    Any luck getting RealOne player to work?
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    The RealOne Player won't work on the Treo 600. RealNetworks tech support just says it's not supported, and no plans to support it are noted.

The PocketTunes app works great http://www.pocket-tunes.com), and the most recent Beta makes a really good first effort at streaming (You have to purchase the deluxe version though).
  7.    #7  
    do you get file sizes comparable to the Kinoma Producer using this setup?
    I encoded some episodes of Seinfeld and after removing the commercials they were about 35MB.

Normally it ends up about 1.5MB per minute. So if you extrapolate that out to a 120 minute movie, you should be able to easily put it on a 256MB SD card.

Personally, I gave up on Kinoma. It takes forever to encode the files and the I think the quality of the end result isn't all that great.
    Can you please specify why you prefer MMPlayer over Kinoma. I've purchased Kinoma and think it's extremely easy to convert, sync and play videos. Does MMPlayer have better quality playback? Are the file sizes smaller? My Kinoma videos were converted from .avi files copied directly from my camcorder. The quality when played back on the Treo 600 isn't that great, but I assume that's the best it can get due to the 160x160 resolution. Do you think MMPlayer and your conversion schema can create better looking videos? Thanks for your info and answers if you would please.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    rventuri- where do you download your codecs from?- I did a google search but I'm trying to avoid spyware. thanks jz
    if you do not use kinoma to convert avi/mpg files, what do you use?
    I have copied on some files the MMC card but multimedia player cannot handle the video rate.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Rich
  11.    #11  
    Can you please specify why you prefer MMPlayer over Kinoma.
    I agree that it is easy to convert videos to the Kinoma format. However, I like the flexibility you get with Virtualdub to edit the videos, apply filters, and so on.

I am mainly encoding Movies and TV Shows and found that it takes Kinoma forever to convert the files. Converting a 30 minute TV show to the MPEG-4 (DIVX) format only takes about 10-12 minutes with Virtualdub.

I also have had a hard time keeping the audio and video in sync with Kinoma and haven't been all that impressed with the quality (blocky even at higher bit rates).

Just a matter of personal preference I guess.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by rich1221
    if you do not use kinoma to convert avi/mpg files, what do you use?
    I have copied on some files the MMC card but multimedia player cannot handle the video rate.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Rich
    I use Virtualdub to convert the avi/mpg files to a avi format that MMPlayer plays very well (DIVX).

I am using a bit rate of 192kbs, a video size of 160x120, MP3 audio encoded at 16000hz and 24kbs.

Seems to work fine for me.
    Ok, I downloaded Virtualdub 1.5.8. I know you said to use an earlier version prior to 1.5.4, but I wanted to see what happens. I set the settings to your config file. (Thanks for supplying that). And then I opened a .avi file that I created from my camcorder. Virtual dub gives the following error when it tries to open it. "Couldn't locate decompressor for format (dvsd)." I have the Divx codec installed and the Lame mp3, so what do you think I need. It also says that a "Virtualdub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress files." I'm not sure what it wants, or is this just the problems you expressed when using a later version of VirtualDub? Thanks again IA.
    Good day, for those of us, including me that do not yet have the abilty to convert tv/movies etc in to either format for either kimona or double M, are any of you going to post them to a site for downloading by others??? thank you and take care, Jay

Ps for example, I would love to take segments of ER, Law & Order, etc on my next flight!....take care, Jay
    How do you use this virtualdub thing, i can for the life of me work out how to convert an avi file...

Cheers

Chris
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    Good day, for those of us, including me that do not yet have the abilty to convert tv/movies etc in to either format for either kimona or double M, are any of you going to post them to a site for downloading by others??? thank you and take care, Jay

Ps for example, I would love to take segments of ER, Law & Order, etc on my next flight!....take care, Jay
    I think it's tough for people post things like that because it's all copyrighted material. Sure you might be able to put together a short clip or two, without running afoul of the law, but how much fun is a flight of 30 second clips?

By the way for people encoding, the settings that rventuri sent are a godsend. I had tried for at least a week to get the settings right with no luck. Load his in and bingo! Everything works. I might even buy mmplayer now, but I'm still not sure about watching things on that screen, or when I'd watch a movie on my phone to begin with. I hardly ever fly anywhere.
    Does anyone knows if you can use Virtualdube to convert into Kinoma files? Kinoma Producer does the job, but way too slow. By the way, the new version of MMPlayer crashes my T600, using the regular skin or the new skin. Everytime I want to exit, it just does a soft reset...any cure for this? Thanks
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by DolphinDan
    Does anyone knows if you can use Virtualdube to convert into Kinoma files? Kinoma Producer does the job, but way too slow. By the way, the new version of MMPlayer crashes my T600, using the regular skin or the new skin. Everytime I want to exit, it just does a soft reset...any cure for this? Thanks
    I don't think you can use Virtualdub to convert to Kinoma's format which I am guessing is proprietary.

Also, be sure that you downloaded and used the latest skin meant for the Treo 600. The others may give you problems. Here is a link to the skin.

Treo 600 MMPlayer Skin
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I'm having more or less only random success with these settings.

Using VirtualDub 1.5.4 as recommended, LAME ACM codec, load video, load settings, throw a filter in to reduce size to 160x120 (or 160x100 for widescreen which worked), and save away (180kbps).

For a video clip of a minute or so.. no problem. But 2 minutes.. 3 minutes invariably the sound just cuts out completely at some point during playback.. at best.
    Some videos I encode using these settings and it simply resets the instant I try to play it. I really *want* this to work. I'm sorta scratching my head trying to figure out why I bothered to register an app that has reset my Treo probably 30 times now.

Here, for instance is a short video clip that worked
    http://www.houseofthud.com/deleteme/...ideo-palm4.avi
    and a longer one that resets mmplayer immediately.
    http://www.houseofthud.com/deleteme/zion2-palm2.avi
    (R/C slope glider flying off a big cliff BTW)
    I recompressed that second one with the same settings (sans resize), and now it doesn't crash MMplayer but the sound cuts out 10-20 seconds in, never to be heard from again.

What's the problem here?

(having done a bit more investigation)
    Lowering the bitrate further and further seems to help.
    At 160kbps it seems a bit happier. If when the sound cuts out, I use the video position bar (which is obscured by the video of course) to reposition it, the sound will sometimes come back.
    Thinking more and more, it has something to do with the demands on the video renderer. My videos tend to be very busy because the camera is following something moving.

Also, when it was resetting over and over, I noticed that even my old "good" videos would cause a reset. I noticed wireless gets turned off after the second or 3rd reset, so I reenabled, started vision just for good measure, and then oddly, the old videos work again. Definitely a bug or three hiding in here.

ian
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I havent tried the new version, but with mmplayer it was hit or miss for me (mostly miss).. audio would go out of sync a lot and I ended up re-encoding a million times which took longer in the long run than using Kinoma.

Maybe I'll give it a shot again this coming weekend if I have time to see if the new version works better for me.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast