Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious to know if any of the Treo Central members who are also vendors lurking out there have checked Ingram Micro (or any other distributor) today to see if the 11/3 date for shipping is still listed today, less than 24 hours before the alleged Handspring launch at 9:00 a.m. Pacific tomorrow morning. Or maybe WeeBit can chime in with some reassurance that everything is on track for a less than manic Monday

On the other hand, how many here are ready to pounce on the Handspring/PalmOne website at the designated time, if only to bring their servers down collectively if we find out we have been duped again??
    shf
    i want a gsm version, but i'm not holding my breath that it will be available tomorrow. it may be tomorrow, it may not be, no skin off my nose if it isn't.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I bet they're not out tomorrow- but I'll be hammering their site at 9am pst with the rest of you.
    Originally posted by shfawaz
    On the other hand, how many here are ready to pounce on the Handspring/PalmOne website at the designated time,
    See you all there!
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Ingram still shows 11/3 as of 11am CST today. Hope they ship tomorrow. We'll have them in 2 days from when they ship them.

Larry
    Originally posted by lmelamed
    Ingram still shows 11/3 as of 11am CST today. Hope they ship tomorrow. We'll have them in 2 days from when they ship them.

Larry
    Currently BLT shows 11/03. Friday the number of units that they expect on 11/03 went up. They show the orders that they have in hand as negative "on-hand." That number has been rising slowly.

They also show that they have ordered 1000 Sprint CDMA phones with an ETA of 11/17 and have 981 on hand. Their price for the CDMA phone is $70 higher than for the unlocked GSM.
    I wouldnt get your hopes up. Even though it seems that cingular is releasing today/tomorrow.. I wouldn't expect to see a tmo or unlocked version available until the VERY END of the month.

HS is giving every indication of delay, and since tmo isn't selling them until then.... we are just going to have to wait...sadly.

Like I said before, if there was any real competition to the 600 I would switch to it in a heartbeat. Until then, HS has the market cornered and can treat its customers with poor customer service.
    [i]

On the other hand, how many here are ready to pounce on the Handspring/PalmOne website at the designated time, if only to bring their servers down collectively if we find out we have been duped again?? [/B]
    I do not expect them to take orders. If they take orders, I do not expect them to offer delivery less than thirty days. If they take orders and promise to deliver in days, I do not expect that the price will be competitive. If they offer a competitive price and schedule, who will believe them?

Short of offering to deliver one for free to my house, I cannot imagine that I will "pounce."
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/02/2003 at 02:24 PM.
    On the other hand, how many here are ready to pounce on the Handspring/PalmOne website at the designated time, if only to bring their servers down collectively if we find out we have been duped again??
    This money is burning a hole in my pocket....I'll be ready to pounce on Monday...

....is the west coast 3 or 2 hours behind us here in the East...damn DST
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    I wouldnt get your hopes up. Even though it seems that cingular is releasing today/tomorrow.. I wouldn't expect to see a tmo or unlocked version available until the VERY END of the month.

HS is giving every indication of delay, and since tmo isn't selling them until then.... we are just going to have to wait...sadly.

Like I said before, if there was any real competition to the 600 I would switch to it in a heartbeat. Until then, HS has the market cornered and can treat its customers with poor customer service.
    I beg to differ on this one. First of all, your skepticism is obvious in every post you make about the potential release of the GSM Treo 600. I can't say I blame you, but have a little faith. While we all realize that several announced/rumored dates have come and gone since the October release of the CDMA unit, there are a few here who are more enthusiastic and optimistic about the imminent release of the GSM Treo 600. I think it give us something to look forward to, and if it means we end up waiting till the somewhat official 11/24 date that T-Mobile is supposedly going to ship this unit, then these slipping dates are like appetizers to help us curb our appetite for this unit until a true shipping date happens.

Secondly, in the past, Ingram Micro's estimated ship dates have changed well in advance of any particular future advertised shipping date. In other words, when the release was thought to be a certain date or dates in October, they didn't wait till the day of, or the day before to change the date, it usually happened about seven to ten days before the date they had on thier website. Given that on Friday, and still today they are still showing an 11/3 ship date, this must mean that Handspring has set this date as an official release date and has not notified Ingram otherwise. I can't see Handspring calling Ingram tonite or tomorrow and telling them to hold back again. I imagine these units are sitting in Ingrams warehouse lockup somewhere, waiting for the the designated date to arrive. This fact, coupled with the information posted in WeeBit's last update on the availability, leads me to believe that 11/3 is a probably very likely to be the day we finally get satisfaction. In addition, if the three week Handspring upgrade program is going to begin tomorrow, it makes sense that it will end on or before 11/24, the date T-Mobile is supposedly going to sell these first hand.

Lastly, I also have to argue about your statement that Handsrping does not have any competition or having the market cornered. As much as the Treo 600 is a hot and highly anticipated product, it's hardly has the market cornered. HTC/O2 has a highly anticipated PPC phone II with built in bluetooth on the verge of release, Sony has the much touted P900 shipping this month amongst other offerings of PDA phones. Handspring knows that it has a winner on it's hands, but it hardly can take its current customers and potential customers for granted in any capacity. People are more apt to buy what is available at market when they are ready to buy, and if Handspring can't deliver, believe me, someone else can, and will gladly relieve us of our cash.
    shf
    My skepticism is because HS has stated that tmo will release 1st before unlocked. Tmo has emailed me saying the 22nd. why should I expect anything otherwise? the website still says "in a few weeks". Don't criricize my skepticism about the rumored 11/3 release, I allready had my hopes up many times before and I would rather not be dissapointed again.

In addittion, I feel that treo has no real competion in the non brickphone/keyboad pdaphone market.. many people agree with me. Honestly I know for a fact that most of the people here would purchase this product if it was offered from sony or samsung in a heartbeat.
    I don't understand how a ship date that has not yet been announced can slip. There has been ample speculation on this board as to when the US GSM units will ship, but HS has never made a firm date public.

You are tilting at windmills here.

Now, I sure do hope they come out soon so I can get one ;-)
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    So...if it doesn't come out at 9am PST, then it won't be out later in the day? At least that's what it sounds like from some of the posts here. too bad those of us Eastern have to wait til mid-day to find out!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Originally posted by jaytee
    I don't understand how a ship date that has not yet been announced can slip. There has been ample speculation on this board as to when the US GSM units will ship, but HS has never made a firm date public.

You are tilting at windmills here.

Now, I sure do hope they come out soon so I can get one ;-)
    Your post represents the triumph of hope over experience.

Treo 600 in stock, shipping daily!
    Switch to Sprint PCS and buy a Treo 600 for only $399
    store.treocentral.com
    This ad, that appears right next to your post on TC, is what this is all about. It is a conspiracy between HS, TC, and Sprint to ensure that they convert every possible consumer to Sprint. "No," you say. Then account for the fact that GSM phones are available in Europe and Asia, where Sprint does not compete.

You are correct that HS has never specified a date and therefore, at least technically, there can have been no slip. TC, on the other hand, has systematically fed the rumor mill.

HS is a design company, not a marketing company. TC is a media company, not a marketing company. This product introduction reminds me of the Gang that Could not Shoot Straight, or, alternatively, the introduction of new Coke.

I agree with those that suggest that the Treo 600 is a niche product. However, I also agree with those who say that it does not have any competition in that niche. It is a design triumph and a marketing disaster.

While I like the design enough that I will probably buy the phone, I expect to have a reputable distributor or retailer between me and the likes of HS or TC.
    Originally posted by whmurray

Your post represents the triumph of hope over experience.

This ad, that appears right next to your post on TC, is what this is all about. It is a conspiracy between HS, TC, and Sprint to ensure that they convert every possible consumer to Sprint. "No," you say. Then account for the fact that GSM phones are available in Europe and Asia, where Sprint does not compete.

You are correct that HS has never specified a date and therefore, at least technically, there can have been no slip. TC, on the other hand, has systematically fed the rumor mill.

HS is a design company, not a marketing company. TC is a media company, not a marketing company. This product introduction reminds me of the Gang that Could not Shoot Straight, or, alternatively, the introduction of new Coke.

I agree with those that suggest that the Treo 600 is a niche product. However, I also agree with those who say that it does not have any competition in that niche. It is a design triumph and a marketing disaster.

While I like the design enough that I will probably buy the phone, I expect to have a reputable distributor or retailer between me and the likes of HS or TC.
    NOT TRUE....

H/S, via Donna Dubinsky, announced in an investor conference call posted to the HS web that unlocked GSM's would be sold on the HS web by the end of October and that carrier specific GSMs prior to that.

THEY MISSED THE MARK.

And now, they lie about whether there even was a mark in the first place.
    Hmm.. noone ever promised me a GSM t600 by any particular date. As to noting what advertisement is beside my entry in this thread, I can't see it... i'm on the mobile site via my 270 ;-)

And finally, to equate rumours from the TreoCentral website with something from Handspring marketing is disingenous.

I didn't hear the investor breifing myself, so it's hard to comment on that, but i'd sure be very interested in good relations with t-mobile and the launch of a well tetsed product if I were a big HS investor. Slippage of a week or so certainly wouldn't bother me if the end resulta was better.
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    My skepticism is because HS has stated that tmo will release 1st before unlocked. Tmo has emailed me saying the 22nd. why should I expect anything otherwise? the website still says "in a few weeks". Don't criricize my skepticism about the rumored 11/3 release, I allready had my hopes up many times before and I would rather not be dissapointed again.

In addittion, I feel that treo has no real competion in the non brickphone/keyboad pdaphone market.. many people agree with me. Honestly I know for a fact that most of the people here would purchase this product if it was offered from sony or samsung in a heartbeat.
    Poor customer service? What an exxageration. You have nothing positive to say, and the bet here is that you will find plenty to complain about when you receive your 600.

Why not spew your negativity on a sony/ericsson or samsung discussion forum? Or are you already doing that?
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
  18.    #18  
    Not sure if this is good news or not for T-Mobile users, but it appears that you can now buy a Treo 600 from Cingular right now on Handsprings website. $699 without a plan, and $499 with a new activation.
    Last edited by shfawaz; 11/02/2003 at 09:26 PM.
    shf
    Not sure if this is good news or not for T-Mobile users, but it appears that you can now buy a Treo 600 right now on Handsprings website. $699 without a plan, and $449 with a new activation.
    Cingular's up too...no "loyalty upgrade" yet though
    Not sure if this is good news or not for T-Mobile users, but it appears that you can now buy a Treo 600 right now on Handsprings website. $699 without a plan, and $449 with a new activation.
    It seems to be dependent on zip code. I entered my own zip code (in Seattle), and it didn't offer it. I entered 10001, and it did offer it.

Absent evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming that even the "without a plan" phone is locked to Cingular, as it's offered as Cingular-specific.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast