Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "We are currently taking pre-orders for Treo 600 with Cingular Wireless service. We expect to begin processing orders on November 17, 2003. However, we are anticipating extremely high demand which could result in additional delays once orders begin to ship."

*Ouch* Mebbe I'll get it for Christmas?
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by olavf

Cingular's up too...no "loyalty upgrade" yet though

Not true.

http://www.handspring.com/promos/treo600_promo.jhtml

Upgrade program available till November 24, 2003. $399, same as the Sprint offer.

It looks more and more like T-Mobile may be out of the picture till this one is up.
    shf
    Originally posted by sharding

It seems to be dependent on zip code. I entered my own zip code (in Seattle), and it didn't offer it. I entered 10001, and it did offer it.

Absent evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming that even the "without a plan" phone is locked to Cingular, as it's offered as Cingular-specific.
    Hmm, when the 270 launched, the US was divided between Cingular and Voicestream (T-mobile). The phone was only available from one carrier per state but which depended on where you lived.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Originally posted by michaelcpowell

Hmm, when the 270 launched, the US was divided between Cingular and Voicestream (T-mobile). The phone was only available from one carrier per state but which depended on where you lived.
    The Handspring site has now changed and it does offer the Treo 600 for Cingular in Seattle.

Unfortunately, I don't have Cingular and don't want to change carriers, so I continue to wait.
    I know, I spoke too soon. Already ordered it, delay and all...

As far as TMO, you may be right on that one. Funny though, I thought TMO would hit before Cingular, if there is a line. TMO actually carries T270's in mall kiosks & all. To get one from Cingular, you have to buy online (only), and they're not listed on HS website...
  6.    #26  
    Now my wonder is about the Ingram Micro shipping date of 11/03. Is that going to be our only hope to get an unlocked unit that we can use with T-Mobile? Will we get the opportunity to upgrade to one of these unit under the upgrade program with Handspring. Hmmm.
    shf
    All I know is that if u want the Treo 600 u better order it as soon as u can. Don't end up like many cdma users that ordered it late and are sitting around waiting for theirs.
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    I wouldnt get your hopes up. Even though it seems that cingular is releasing today/tomorrow.. I wouldn't expect to see a tmo or unlocked version available until the VERY END of the month.

HS is giving every indication of delay, and since tmo isn't selling them until then.... we are just going to have to wait...sadly.

Like I said before, if there was any real competition to the 600 I would switch to it in a heartbeat. Until then, HS has the market cornered and can treat its customers with poor customer service.
    ToonFan:

Notice how dead on I was on this? Not that it wasnt obvoise, but anyway it seems my statment is going to be correct.

In-addition, I do find HS customer service to be poor. I find the fact that they were unable to provide us any information besides "a few weeks" as poor customer service. The fact that earlier today it said a couple of weeks and right now you can actually purchase a cing 600 is silly.

It seems that you are offended somehow about my statements. You say that I am negative, I don't agree. I had my hopes up, but decided to stop that sharade.

I wonder if it is because you don't like to hear to the truth.. or you just want me to "hope" with you. I understand your fusteration, I can't wait for my gsm 600. I want it just as bad as you. But unlike you I would rather have a real time estimate, and little fake dates that get my hopes up only fusterate me further and provide me nothing that you speak of.
    The question remains:

Does anyone know (WeeBit maybe?) what the deal is with the Cingular phones? Other than possible branding (i.e. a logo), are they 'locked' to Cingular?

Is there a way for T-mobile to unlock them for use on their network? Can anyone with some more concrete information confirm any of this?

Thanks.
    My understanding is that Cingular would have to do the unlocking before you would be able to use it on TMO.
    Originally posted by flipp
    My understanding is that Cingular would have to do the unlocking before you would be able to use it on TMO.
    Shoot me, shoot me now...

Jesus, T-Mo and Handspring are simply on fire. I swear I wanna kill someone. Let's all grab torches and pitchforks and deman that they give us Dubinsky!

Anyway, anyone know what Cingular's unlocking policy is? I think T-mo unlocks phones at some point, don't they?

My brother told me there are 'other' ways to unlock a phone, and that only SonyEricsson's are hard to unlock. Is this true? Can you hack the phone somehow? Is it legal? I've seen people talk about dialing some ## number to do the unlocking, what's up with that?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by LORDOFTHETREOS

Shoot me, shoot me now...

Jesus, T-Mo and Handspring are simply on fire. I swear I wanna kill someone. Let's all grab torches and pitchforks and deman that they give us Dubinsky!

Thanks.
    I understand your anger. I agree that Ms. Dubinsky has been artful, not to say mendacious. However, I also agree with those who point out that she was very careful never to tell you enough of the truth that she can be acused of "slipping a date."

However, her mendacity is not the issue as much as the fact that it was in furtherance of an illegal collusion, not to say conspiracy, to favor one channel over another.

Later today I expect that Ingram and BLT will announce that they did not receive the shipments that they have been expecting today. I can understand that Ms. Dubinsky is willing to burn her bridges with you and me. That she has treated distributors in the same manner is to trade a long term relationship for a short term advantage.

Even if, as another writer has suggested, she sees Sprint and Cingular, rather than you and me, as her "customers," she is still going to need the distributors. They still need to feed their families. Unlike you and I, they are not enamored of the design of the Treo600. They can and will favor those manufacturers on whose representations they can rely.
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/03/2003 at 10:22 AM.
    Other than the Cingular logo, and some peronal Cingular settings, the unit is supposedly not locked and can be used with any SIM card.
    Originally posted by shfawaz
    Now my wonder is about the Ingram Micro shipping date of 11/03. Is that going to be our only hope to get an unlocked unit that we can use with T-Mobile? Will we get the opportunity to upgrade to one of these unit under the upgrade program with Handspring. Hmmm.
    As you know, the Ingram Micro site is a closed site. Bottom Line's site is not.

As of 1120 EST time BLT's site is unchanged from Friday evening. It shows no receipts but it still shows that it expects 985 units today.
  15.    #35  
    Originally posted by mervynle
    Other than the Cingular logo, and some peronal Cingular settings, the unit is supposedly not locked and can be used with any SIM card.
    Can you please tell us how you know that these are supposedly unlocked, when everyone here has all but verified that they are locked to Cingular? Inquiring minds (notably T-Mobile customers) would LOVE to know.
    shf
    I spoke to Handspring this morning and verified with the CSR that the Cingular 600's are not SIM locked, they are just optimized for the Cingular network. They had no other specifics, but were quite willing to sell me a phone for use one TMO if that was what I wanted to do.
    I am willing to bet if you are not on Cingular or Sprint you will not see a Treo in your sweaty little hands in 2003. Lets say that 11/24 is the official Cingualr release. That means that they are obviously going to have an exclusive on the device for at least a month like Sprint. That means we will not see a T-mobile or ATT version until the end of December.

I know it sucks guys...but the reality is that Handspring/Palm has no say in the carrier market. They make 1 phone and thats it. The carriers have them by the balls plain and simple as has been stated here before. Even with Palm's point of pressence at places like CompUsa and BestBuy they still don't have the cloat of say a Sony Ericsson who can sell an unbranded p800 or 900 and not worry about what the carrier thinks.

All we can hope for is that someone will be able to unlock a Orange or Cingular 600. I have talked with two dealers and they are both working on it but are not making any promises. I urge all of you who are sick of waiting to look at the Sony Ericsson p900. It might just be a better product.
    Originally posted by whmurray

I understand your anger. I agree that Ms. Dubinsky has been artful, not to say mendacious. However, I also agree with those who point out that she was very careful never to tell you enough of the truth that she can be acused of "slipping a date."

However, her mendacity is not the issue as much as the fact that it was in furtherance of an illegal collusion, not to say conspiracy, to favor one channel over another.

Later today I expect that Ingram and BLT will announce that they did not receive the shipments that they have been expecting today. I can understand that Ms. Dubinsky is willing to burn her bridges with you and me. That she has treated distributors in the same manner is to trade a long term relationship for a short term advantage.

Even if, as another writer has suggested, she sees Sprint and Cingular, rather than you and me, as her "customers," she is still going to need the distributors. They still need to feed their families. Unlike you and I, they are not enamored of the design of the Treo600. They can and will favor those manufacturers on whose representations they can rely.
    Actually, I think that Dubinsky DID cross a line.

She made public statements in HS' last investor call saying that the unlocked GSM handsets should be available on the HS site by the end of October and that carrier specific GSMs for T-Mo, Cingular and AT&T before that.

Did she use squishy language like "expect" and "should be"?

Speaking as an attorney, some may say she used language that was sufficiently nebulous to avoid any legal obligations.

But the clear import of what she said and viewing language in its common usage made it obvious that the unlocked units were to be available by the end of October and carrier specific units for T-Mo, Cingular and AT&T were to be available before then.

And pre-order does not equal available.
    -
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    Double post
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast