1.    #1  
    I am looking for the best dictionary for the Treo 600. Does anyone know which one is?

Thanks,
    Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by JakeE
    I am looking for the best dictionary for the Treo 600. Does anyone know which one is?

Thanks,
    Jake
    Horses for courses, but this is the dictionary I'm currently using:

http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/S=45...cgi/0877797552

From the web site: 'Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged is the largest, most comprehensive American dictionary available in print or on-line. Unsurpassed quality and reliability are its hallmarks. Includes more than 476,000 vocabulary entries and geographical and biographical sections not found in the print edition. '

Huge dictionary, 37693k, but very rapid searching. Etymologies, pronunciation guide, lots of quotes demonstrating usage. Requires PalmReader Pro, with which it integrates very well - tap and hold a word in an ebook to look it up in the dictionary.

Pretty expensive, but to my mind one of the best reasons for owning a handheld device.
    I've been using BDicty for a few years now, I highly recommend. it. It has many different language lexicons and a great english dictionary that can run memory resident in other programs like sms. I'm a functioning illiterate, so I use it all the time. Check it out for your self. Good luck.

http://www.beiks.com/PalmzoneBG/Bdicty.htm
    Why pay? Just point blazer to the site!

http://www.m-w.com/palm.htm

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    good link gfm. english only though, & your stuck if you need it while your in bldg w/ poor coverage. i will use your link on my gsm 600 when ever they are available, HANDSPING!
    Another free option for a dictionary is to send email to wsmith@wordsmith.org with the Subject line saying "define $WORD" replacing $WORD with the word you want defined. They respond within a minute. They also have a theasaurus service available. Been using it for years.
    Originally posted by mrljt
    Another free option for a dictionary is to send email to wsmith@wordsmith.org with the Subject line saying "define $WORD" replacing $WORD with the word you want defined. They respond within a minute. They also have a theasaurus service available. Been using it for years.

cool....really quick responses!
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    http://www.m-w.com/palm.htm
    Yep, this site very much rocks. Thanks, gfunk.

Strangely, www.dictionary.com doesn't seem to work properly in Blazer 3.0 (unless I'm just a total moron, which is entirely possible). Dictionary.com has been my choice over Mirriam Webster's site for a while now since M-W's site has a lot of "premium" material, which is kind of frustrating, and Dictionary.com searchs Mirriam Webster anyway. (Hm, I just noticed that dictionary.com offers WAP support ...that doesn't seem to work in Blazer either. They even seem to have some affiliation with SprintPCS. Whee!) Well, anyway -- it's a shame it doesn't seem to be working.

Also, while we're on reference materials, www.everything2.com works alright in Blazer 3.0 and is useful for certain encyclopedia-type inquiries.

Originally posted by mrljt
    wsmith@wordsmith.org
    Very cool. Wordsmith totally rocks, excellent service. And they host an anagram thinger (that seems to work well in Blazer 3.0, even)! Excellent!! Thanks, mrljt.
    I like DictionaryToGo from LearningToGo. It is extremely fast and has never failed to provide a definition I needed. Very useful.
    What do people use dictionaries for? I don't think I have used a dictionary once for at least 7 or 8 years.
    yeah, okay...

...but what about ENGLISH/other language dictionaries ?

i'm looking for ENGLISH/FRENCH, ENGLISH/ITALIAN in particular.

my ULTRALINGUA v2 gives a soft reset so unless i find a patch or update, i'll need a substitute.

do you advice any ?

THX
    Originally posted by koros
    yeah, okay...

...but what about ENGLISH/other language dictionaries ?

i'm looking for ENGLISH/FRENCH, ENGLISH/ITALIAN in particular.

my ULTRALINGUA v2 gives a soft reset so unless i find a patch or update, i'll need a substitute.

do you advice any ?

THX
    Try point your blazer browser here:

http://imode.langtolang.com/

It formats pretty well on the T600 screen and works decent IMO...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by vflopez
    I like DictionaryToGo from LearningToGo. It is extremely fast and has never failed to provide a definition I needed. Very useful.
    I agree with you vflopez, but the newest version of DictionaryToGo v1.5 (www.LearningToGo.com) does not allow you to register the software on the Treo 600. Every time you enter your code and hit OK or Enter, it performs a soft reset. They have yet to correct this bug. So in the mean time, I am forced to use the v1.4 they sent me as a temporary replacement.

Have you had the same experience?
    J
    I prefer pocket lingo 2.0

Nice interface, quick, and a boat load of words.
    I just d/l and tried the iNoah app (http://www.arslexis.com/) that's slick. Small app on the Palm that goes out to the Internet to lookup the words.

'It uses only 79 kB of memory yet still provides definitions of 140 thousand words.'

Seems to work pretty good on my Treo600.
    network based dictionary without waiting for Blazer, free too
    "if you tell me that curiosity
    killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly." (Arnold Edinboroug)
    Originally posted by matt@tarr.org
    network based dictionary without waiting for Blazer, free too
    Except that it soft resets everytime you use it!!!

Dictionary/Thesaurus on an SD card.

http://store.palmone.com/product/ind...ductId=1392481
    Oops...that was on an MMC card!!
    ...tried out ULTRALINGUA and it doesn't work; SLOVOed on the other side is pretty well integrated.

i use BDicty as well for small niche databases, for serious language translation i keep SLOVOed; hope this helps...