Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    This phone is still an mazing piece of toy but after a day or two with it I might be having second thoughts. Other than having the OS5, I'm running out of reasons not to go back to the Kyocera 7135.

Cons:

The sound on the thing has very rattling sound.

The screen isn't any better than other palm phones. Only 4k colors.

I have not figured out how to carry the thing yet. I believe I would want the side case whenever it is released.

Other than having OS5, the Kyocera 7135 has everything that the 600 has plus it's a clamshell and comes with a holster.

The shape of the 600 is so round that with the slipcase on, it seems twice as thick as it is.

Slightly heavy.

No cradle. One coming soon for $30.

Pros:

Excellent look and feel.

Easy one handed use for most tasks.

For the size , the keyboard works pretty good.

Wow factor off the scale.
    I'm in a similar situation. I got mine a few days ago, and although I'm not disappointed with the device by any means, I'm worried it's not worth the $500 I paid for it. I'll decide for sure after about another week of use.

If I return it, I'll be returning to my trusty A500.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts

Other than having OS5, the Kyocera 7135 has everything that the 600 has plus it's a clamshell and comes with a holster.
    Actually, I find the clamshell a disadvantage. No picture callerID just by glancing at it. Can't see alarm notifications or SMS messages or chat (verichat/etc) messages at a glance.

The cradle makes it look tidy/neat.. other than that, so what if there isn't a cradle? What's the advantage? Does the 7135 have a cradle?

Excellent look and feel.
    I agree, but how could you say it feels good in the Pro if you say it's too heavy in the Con? I find the weight is good.
    Originally posted by phaggard
    This phone is still an mazing piece of toy but after a day or two with it I might be having second thoughts. Other than having the OS5, I'm running out of reasons not to go back to the Kyocera 7135.

Cons:

The sound on the thing has very rattling sound.

The screen isn't any better than other palm phones. Only 4k colors.

I have not figured out how to carry the thing yet. I believe I would want the side case whenever it is released.

The shape of the 600 is so round that with the slipcase on, it seems twice as thick as it is.

Slightly heavy.

Pros:

Excellent look and feel.

Easy one handed use for most tasks.

For the size , the keyboard works pretty good.

Wow factor off the scale.
    I'd consider the mp3 playing ability highly. If you like a thumboard, I'd think that's important too, otherwise scrap it. The screen is much brighter (and visible in daylight) than other pda-phones. Don't all slip cases make a phone/pda seem twice as big? To me the Pro's plus camera phone, would be worth the upgrade.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Good point about the picture caller ID.

The phone feels good in the hand as far as being solidly built and well made but a little too heavy for a phone to be carried for instance in a shirt pocket.

Yes the 7135 comes with a cradle. I feel better with a cradle because my phone/pda spends a lot of time on my desk at home and at work. It's nice to have it handy and set up to upgrade or just to play with. Not a big deal.

I favor the clamshell because it takes away all worries of bumping or scratching the screen.

My biggest decision point will be how to carry the 600. I hate wearing phones on my belt that have the antenna sticking up. I either get poked or the clip breaks off when getting in the car. My favorite cell case is the horizontal side cases. I am not sure how big the 600 side case would be and still be in the way.
    Originally posted by phaggard
    ... I favor the clamshell because it takes away all worries of bumping or scratching the screen.

My biggest decision point will be how to carry the 600. I hate wearing phones on my belt that have the antenna sticking up. I either get poked or the clip breaks off when getting in the car. My favorite cell case is the horizontal side cases. I am not sure how big the 600 side case would be and still be in the way.
    I got a horizontal case from Cellular Innovations. It's thin -- attaches to belt with a beltloop rather than a clip -- no chance clip will come off & it won't break. Elastic side panels and velcro flap make it easy to get the T600 out quickly. It's not in the way like a vertical case would be. I think there's a Nokia case that's very similar.

Also -- FWIW -- I wouldn't go back to 7135. Top 3 reasons: Keyboard plus 5-way nav make 1-hand operation possible for many things. And battery life is sooo much better with the T600. I hated swapping batteries/having to wade through the reset midway through every day with the Kyo. Also, Sprint's data plan is much less costly than Verizon's and Verizon doesn't have BizConn.
    I use the 'form fit' case from HS. have no issues with the keys and now have built in screen and camera protecter which sheds water and keeps the 512 SD card from coming all the way out.

Also, mine stays HORIZONTAL on my side (vast majority of the time) due to some detents in the rotating clip and case only enhances wow factor.

A cradle is a waste for me... As a mobile consultant I only use my tablet laptop and love the combo sync-n-charge USB cable (the sync-only that came with it has never left the box).

W verichat and mosms600 I really stay in touch and I think the arm cpu and low res screen makes this puppy scream (great mp3 in backgrnd)

I was an early adopter of the k6035 and this is the first sprint phone that it is worth upgrading up to from the k6035 which was a great phone (IMHO).

This speedy post is fm my t600 with no issues on the tkb so I would say I literally 'dig it' and am keeping it.
    I am weighing the question of keeping as well. I only have a week or so to make my decision.

I dislike the non-clamshell, the weight, the low-res screen, and the non-replaceable battery. I am also not thrilled with the keyboard.

I like the wow, I like the all-in-one (though I couldn't care less about the camera), the service (I've had Verizon and Sprint and the latter serves me better though Customer Service is lousy), and the SD slot (a must -have for me).

My decision hinges, I think, on what I can do on the web with the device. I have never used a phone or PDA to access the web. So far, my one day's worth of attempts have not been thrilling. I would like to be able to go to my "normal" websites (switchboard, my bank, some movie time site like Hollywood.com, etc. - nothing too intense I believe). I also want to be able to get e-mail but I assume that SnapperMail will allow that (haven't tried yet, don't own the program but it looks easy enough).

Can someone either give me some pointers in this area or direct me someplace that might provide the "insight" I'm looking for?
    It seems to me that the only benefits of the 7135 are the form factor (which is subjective anyway) and its excellent belt holster. The 7135 is an outdated piece of junk that barely sqeaks by. It was a great start, but incredibly slow to use with the screen lagging behind graffitti strokes and very unreliable phone functions. The battery life is almost disgusting for all but the most dedicated users.

As the 7135 as a PDA, you better know what your doing. This phone doesn't like many applications and crashes frequently. It is not for the feint of heart as it is not simple to use. My wife has always used a palm without difficulty, but if she needs to pick up my 7135 once and a while to make a phone call, she gets pissed at its difficulty to use and won't even bother.

If you already have a 7135, it may be worth waiting to see what develops for the T600 (as I will do for now). However, anyone who buys a 7135 now is wasting their money with the T600 out already and a few other OS5 devices on the way.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Im So Unpopular
    I'm in a similar situation. I got mine a few days ago, and although I'm not disappointed with the device by any means, I'm worried it's not worth the $500 I paid for it. I'll decide for sure after about another week of use.

If I return it, I'll be returning to my trusty A500.
    I sold my a500 and sony clie. I'll never go back. I've only had this phone for a couple of weeks but I've been able to keep track of email from the road, send photos home when I'm states away (even if they are bad photos, at least I'm sharing my daily life with my wife and daughter), surf some web sites when I'm waiting for meetings to start, etc. This is the first PDA phone for what I do.
    Originally posted by TreoMJJ

My decision hinges, I think, on what I can do on the web with the device. I have never used a phone or PDA to access the web. So far, my one day's worth of attempts have not been thrilling. I would like to be able to go to my "normal" websites (switchboard, my bank, some movie time site like Hollywood.com, etc. - nothing too intense I believe). I also want to be able to get e-mail but I assume that SnapperMail will allow that (haven't tried yet, don't own the program but it looks easy enough).

Can someone either give me some pointers in this area or direct me someplace that might provide the "insight" I'm looking for?
    Well, I'm not sure what "insight" you're looking for, but I can tell you from my personal experience that I haven't had any problems with any websites so far.

I've been able to read Doonesbury from Washingtonpost.com, check the numbers on Powerball.com, and even found the right omelette pan to buy from ConsumerReports.com when I was standing in the aisle at the home store. This is also in addition to the mobile-optimized sites that I've accessed for news, games, scores, etc.

Has the speed been comparable to my DSL? No. But, it's a s**tload better than any dialup connection that I've had PLUS it's with me *all* the time (much to the chagrin of my fiancee).

As for email I've used SnapperMail, Eudora, and BizConn and I think that they all have their benefits for their associated costs.

One thing's for sure, if you're looking for opinions you're definitely in the right place!
    I returned my Treo 600, because it did not run Xiino. Xiino is the only browser that really does web on handhelds devices. So I'll be staying with my Treo 300 for now until bluetooth and/or Xiino is available.

For those who are not from Treo camp, you may give Treo 300 a try. It is camshell, if you like this. It's keyboard is "much" larger than Treo 600's. It is "much" lighter and thinner. It runs Xiino which beats Blazer 2&3 to death on both speed and sites compatibility. It is much cheaper (as low as $100). Its reception is absolutely better than A500.

To me, the only advantage of Treo 600 over 300 is one-hand operation and I do need this feature very much and it makes it much more useful. Without Xiino, on the other hand, Treo 600 is much less usefull. As for the longer battery life, it does not help much as long as the battery is not replaceable. For the brightness, Treo 300 is bright enough to me.

As for the screen, 320 does not make any difference to 160 for what you can do with 320 and what you can't with 160. If there is a treo with a 640x480 screen, then that's a difference and you can do some serious work - real-life web browsing and Remote Desktop. If Sprint has bluetooth phone, or if T-Mobile's BT phones work in my evil office, I'll definitely not go for Treo but a PDA + BT phone comb. The new Toshiba PPC has a 640x480 resolution and the Samsung Nexio even 800x480.