Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I get an error when trying to connect to ICQ using ICQ 2.1 beta.

It will get all the way to the "starting services" step, then report "Error - Connection Failed".

Anyone know how to fix this? I am connected through Sprint PCS Vision when I attempt to connect in ICQ.

Thanks.
    Some here with Orange France.

And it passed the login/password process because it deconnects me when i'm connected on the PC.
    Exactly same problem here on Orange (UK).
    Same exact issue here... SprintPCS, Bay area, California.
    We should contact Mirabilis, this is a worldwide problem !

I have send an email to support using this form :
    http://web.icq.com/help/contactus_missing_topic
    Last edited by Koreus; 11/03/2003 at 05:27 PM.
    Great idea, I went to the URL you provided and explained the problem in a corteous manner. Hopefully if enough people point the problem out they will do something about it.

I am assuming Treo owners are not the only ones suffering from this problem?
    You are correct in that ICQ does not work on the Treo 600. However, Verichat works fine and aloows connection to ICQ.
    ICQ has not been updated in some time. I used to use the same version of my Palm 3c and nokia 7110 via IR.
    -
    Edward Green
    www.treospace.co.uk
    Just to add that the old version of verichat doesnt work in the UK either as we don't have the required email to text message service. However PDA apps have a GPRS only version in the pipeline.
    -
    Edward Green
    www.treospace.co.uk
    Verichat is not free.
    But i have tried the trial version and it doesn't work for me.
    I heard Orange (France) is blocking some port used by Verichat
    Here's the response I received from the ICQ support team:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear ICQ User,
    Thank you for taking the time to write us.

ICQ for Palm was designed and developed to work on wireless devices that use
    the Palm OS. However, since new wireless devices are constantly being
    released, each with their own unique technology, ICQ cannot test ICQ for
    Palm on each such wireless device. As a result, unfortunately, ICQ cannot
    provide support for every unique situation faced by our users when using ICQ
    for Palm on various new wireless devices.

Nonetheless, please be assured that ICQ will take into consideration our
    users' feedback and comments when developing upgraded versions of ICQ for
    Palm. We recommend that from time to time you check the ICQ Web site:
    http://www.icq.com for any new upgrades.

Thank you,
    The ICQ Support team.

------------------------------------------------------------

So, it doesn't look good for ICQ on the Palm, at least from Mirabilis. I would still urge anyone who wants ICQ working on their Treos to fill out this form and send mirabilis their feedback.
    Originally posted by drizzy
    You are correct in that ICQ does not work on the Treo 600. However, Verichat works fine and aloows connection to ICQ.
    I tried verichat and, like someone else pointed out, it's not free, which I wouldn't mind too much if it was a more elegant application. I simply didn't like its M.O. It's confusing. With Verichat you never really know if you will receive an ICQ message, sometimes it never goes through, sometimes you get it throught SMS (which makes it impossible to reply), and sometimes you do get it through the program. You stay logged in all the time even if you power down the phone but you still might miss pessages...

I was waiting for Chatter, whose author frequently posted in these forums, but it seems to have disappeared into thin air. The web site is blank, the promised betas never arrived, and the author seems absent from the boards. I tmight still be released next week as promised but I am less hopeful now.
  13.    #13  
    Verichat is not an option since it's not free.

I just want ICQ to work on the Treo
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by NSiNSiNSi

I was waiting for Chatter, whose author frequently posted in these forums, but it seems to have disappeared into thin air. The web site is blank, the promised betas never arrived, and the author seems absent from the boards. I tmight still be released next week as promised but I am less hopeful now.
    Most of that isn't accurate.
    Originally posted by njchris

Most of that isn't accurate.
    Sorry, I didn't mean it to be a slam against imchatter's author, not at all, I am really looking forward to it and I know it's not vaporware because other people have mentioned receiving betas... but what is not accurate about my post?

The web site is still coming up blank (www.imchatter.com). I never received a beta although the author said we would receive them by Wednesday, and he has not posted on the boards in the last couple of days to my knowledge.

I am not whining or trying to be offensive, I just expected to know a lot more about imchatter this week, and what is happening is actually the opposite.
    Chatter will, indeed, appear next week. It is currently in Beta on the T600, and appears very stable. Although I cannot test it myself on GSM units, I have a couple of testers with GSM units in England and France, and these appear to work properly.

ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, and AIM are supported, as well as SMTP mail sending and IMAP eMail support.

The website is up and running at http://www.imchatter.com.

Marc
    Originally posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Here's the response I received from the ICQ support team:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear ICQ User,
    Thank you for taking the time to write us.

ICQ for Palm was designed and developed to work on wireless devices that use
    the Palm OS. However, since new wireless devices are constantly being
    released, each with their own unique technology, ICQ cannot test ICQ for
    Palm on each such wireless device. As a result, unfortunately, ICQ cannot
    provide support for every unique situation faced by our users when using ICQ
    for Palm on various new wireless devices.

Nonetheless, please be assured that ICQ will take into consideration our
    users' feedback and comments when developing upgraded versions of ICQ for
    Palm. We recommend that from time to time you check the ICQ Web site:
    http://www.icq.com for any new upgrades.

Thank you,
    The ICQ Support team.

------------------------------------------------------------

So, it doesn't look good for ICQ on the Palm, at least from Mirabilis. I would still urge anyone who wants ICQ working on their Treos to fill out this form and send mirabilis their feedback.
    I got same answer from Mirabilis.
    But it think its not hardware or software related, because my brother was using ICQ for PalmOS on his treo 270 and it was working great.
    But suddenly (begenning of october) it was not working anymore with same error as we have on the treo600

Edit : There is another chat program in development : Agile Messenger
    It is avalaible at the moment for the p800 and nokia phone.
    But i heard they are making a version for treo600
    More info here : http://www.agilemobile.com/am.html
    Hey everyone,

I had the "same" such issue on my Treo 300. I thought is was the App too.

On further inspection, the ICQ Manager would load upon startup on my home PC and was defaulted to "Log-on when ICQ started". If the ICQ Manager has you logged in at home... you will get a connection error, not "another user is logged on". Once I used PalmVNC to end my ICQ log-in from my Home PC, I could login to ICQ without the error. I do not think that ICQ can support multiple logins.

Note: I haven't had time to load ICQ on my Treo 600, as I am currently using AIM 1.1. I am just putting out there what I have found.

Dave Lindberg
    Last edited by NMprofessional; 11/07/2003 at 01:06 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by NMprofessional
    Hey everyone,

I had the "same" such issue on my Treo 300. I thought is was the App too.

On further inspection, the ICQ Manager would load upon startup on my home PC and was defaulted to "Log-on when ICQ started". If the ICQ Manager has you logged in at home... you will get a connection error, not "another user is logged on". Once I used PalmVNC to end my ICQ log-in from my Home PC, I could login to ICQ without the error. I do not think that ICQ can support multiple logins.

Note: I haven't had time to load ICQ on my Treo 300, as I am currently using AIM 1.1. I am just putting out there what I have found.

Dave Lindberg
    This is a non-issue, since my home PC is turned off right now yet I still get the exact same error.
    Originally posted by Koreus
    Edit : There is another chat program in development : Agile Messenger
    It is avalaible at the moment for the p800 and nokia phone.
    But i heard they are making a version for treo600
    More info here : http://www.agilemobile.com/am.html
    Wow! That one looks pretty cool! And best of all... free. Hopefully the rumor of a Treo600 version is true, but I won't hold my breath.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast