Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For the few people here that have now had time to actually use both types of Treo 600s, did you notice a difference in the quality of the construction between the two? Does the GSM version feel significantly different from the CDMA version? Is the weight difference noticeable?

I was planning to get a Treo 600 as soon as they came out and then balked after Sprint appeared to be having problems getting things started. After reading a number of posts here, it's starting to appear that the phones may have been rushed out before they were ready for human consumption.

Bottom line: Is the GSM version going to be better than the CDMA version?

Thanks.
    I don't see how anyone can honestly answer this.

The only GSM version that has been released so far was released for the European market. Therefore, anyone that would have purchased that model in Europe wouldn't have any experience with the CDMA version on Sprint (which only runs in the US).

Conversely, anyone that purchased the CDMA version in the US is not likely to have access to a GSM version (since we're waiting for it to be released in the US).

Is there anyone out there that got someone from overseas to send them a GSM Treo 600 after they already purchased and possibly returned a Sprint model?

It would be nice to have such a perspective, but it seems like a longshot to me.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Forgive me if I am wrongly accusing, but this thread looks like another naysayer posting with an agenda of subtly putting people off purchasing. Another set of threads by Seldom Visitor username has a similar but more blatant agenda.

Live on the bright side dudes. The darkside is cold and unconstructive for you.

In answer to the original question, I have spent time with gsm and cdma units and can say that the build is much alike on both. I see a few postings on rattle on the boards and some poor sounding speakers. I presume these will be ironed out v soon. They are not endemic design probs such as the old fliplid. If u get a bad un, swap it under warranty and move on.
    I can't say anything about the GSM version. However, I purchased a CDMA version from Sprint just as they were coming out with it as a gift for my wife (and to replace her ancient Kyocera Palm-Phone).

She (and I) was so impressed, I ended up playing with it. I wanted to wait and see what if any other CDMA smartphone was coming, but I thought the Treo 600 was a real solid device (ergonomically sound, relliable SPrint service with unlimited web browsing).

So, no real complaints. I ended up buying one for myself 4 days ago from Handspring.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget
    I don't see how anyone can honestly answer this.

It would be nice to have such a perspective, but it seems like a longshot to me.
    Believe it or not, people actually travel between continents and often buy things abroad. Also, there are a number of people here with inside connections to Handspring that have seen/used both Treo flavors and would have insight into the differences. That kind of assessment would be helpful to those of us sitting on the fence regarding whether or not to get a Sprint Treo 600.

(By the way, how can Sprint expect to sell $600 phones and not have any display models in its stores? Truly bizarre.)
    You have to ask. My Sprint Store had 2 (brand new store ... ) and pulled them from under the counter.

They did have the Treo 300 on display, though!
    Originally posted by The Ugly Truth

Believe it or not, people actually travel between continents and often buy things abroad. Also, there are a number of people here with inside connections to Handspring that have seen/used both Treo flavors and would have insight into the differences. That kind of assessment would be helpful to those of us sitting on the fence regarding whether or not to get a Sprint Treo 600.

(By the way, how can Sprint expect to sell $600 phones and not have any display models in its stores? Truly bizarre.)
    Yes, I'm quite aware that people travel between continents. I'm one of them, thank you. My point was that there won't be MANY people that can respond with the perspective you asked for because there aren't that many people that will be able to spend enough time with or buy BOTH devices just to get a comparison.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    Forgive me if I am wrongly accusing, but this thread looks like another naysayer posting with an agenda of subtly putting people off purchasing. Another set of threads by Seldom Visitor username has a similar but more blatant agenda.

Live on the bright side dudes. The darkside is cold and unconstructive for you.

In answer to the original question, I have spent time with gsm and cdma units and can say that the build is much alike on both. I see a few postings on rattle on the boards and some poor sounding speakers. I presume these will be ironed out v soon. They are not endemic design probs such as the old fliplid. If u get a bad un, swap it under warranty and move on.

That's ok. I was really planning to get a Treo 600 and used one for a day last month. (I had also briefly tried a prototype earlier this year.) I've been using Palm OS devices since the beginning and in the past, Handspring appears to have had more quality control "issues" than Palm, Sony, TRG or Samsung. I came to this site a couple of weeks ago and there appear to be a lot of concerns expressed about the construction of the Sprint Treo 600s. I realize this may be skewed by the fact that satisfied owners don't usually post, but still, it's concerning.

Thanks for your answer. If others with experience with both Treos echo your findings, I think I might hold off for now until (unless) Handspring is able to improve quality. I tend to keep my electronics for a while, so quality is a major factor for me. (My primary Palm is four years old and I have an ancient - indestructible - Nokia cell phone.)

That's ok. I was really planning to get a Treo 600 and used one for a day last month. (I had also briefly tried a prototype earlier this year.) I've been using Palm OS devices since the beginning and in the past, Handspring appears to have had more quality control "issues" than Palm, Sony, TRG or Samsung. I came to this site a couple of weeks ago and there appear to be a lot of concerns expressed about the construction of the Sprint Treo 600s. I realize this may be skewed by the fact that satisfied owners don't usually post, but still, it's concerning.

Thanks for your answer. If others with experience with both Treos echo your findings, I think I might hold off for now until (unless) Handspring is able to improve quality. I tend to keep my electronics for a while, so quality is a major factor for me. (My primary Palm is four years old and I have an ancient - indestructible - Nokia cell phone.)
    Well, I think the issue of quality control relating to the Treo is definitely relevant considering the sketchy history and high failure rate of the Treo 300/270 models. I personally had to replace my T300 because of lid failure like many others here and also had to endure various issues like the RBOD and etc. Thus I can see why one would worry about the level of quality control in the next generation of Treos. Anyway having said that, with my short time with the Treo 600 (Sprint), I can say this is an exceptionally improved product in terms of quality and sturdiness. The phone seems much more substantial and the lack of moving parts (i.e flip lid) greatly reduces the likelyhood of a catastrophic accident. In all, I think this is a very well built device. However, it's hard to judge with the device only released for a few weeks. If you're really that concerned, I'ld wait a month or so to see more user feedbacks...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by tjd414
    You have to ask. My Sprint Store had 2 (brand new store ... ) and pulled them from under the counter.

They did have the Treo 300 on display, though!
    It's absurd to expect customers to ask to see a $600 phone. The only people that will ever buy these are people on this site that already know more about the phone than any Sprint store employee will ever know. Unless Handspring is having major league supply issues (very possible, given the fact that most Sprint stores only received one or two Treo 600s apiece in October and don't expect more for a few weeks) this represents total bungling of the phone's roll-out.

I went into several of the Sprint stores in Silicon Valley and the few stores that had a Treo 600 two weeks ago were reluctant to even show the phone. (And don't get me started about the kids they have working in the Sprint stores. The amazing thing is how similar they all are and how they try to make it seem like they're doing you a favor by showing you the phones...) How many people are going to buy a $600 phone without being able to try it? In a sense, all the early adopters at Treocentral have become beta testers for the rest of us, and we appreciate your honest evaluations and solutions to the various issues already identified. I'm keeping copies of the better threads on my computer for future reference.
    QC problem is a very valid concern for me. I'm thinking of jumping boat to Nokia 6600 because of the QC problems so far. Here's a list:

battery indicator
    battery not charge
    headset jack
    missed calls
    speaker blown

I don't want to have to send in my phone for warranty repairs every month or two. I also plan to keep it for longer than the 1 year warranty!
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Well, I think the issue of quality control relating to the Treo is definitely relevant considering the sketchy history and high failure rate of the Treo 300/270 models. I personally had to replace my T300 because of lid failure like many others here and also had to endure various issues like the RBOD and etc. Thus I can see why one would worry about the level of quality control in the next generation of Treos. Anyway having said that, with my short time with the Treo 600 (Sprint), I can say this is an exceptionally improved product in terms of quality and sturdiness. The phone seems much more substantial and the lack of moving parts (i.e flip lid) greatly reduces the likelyhood of a catastrophic accident. In all, I think this is a very well built device. However, it's hard to judge with the device only released for a few weeks. If you're really that concerned, I'ld wait a month or so to see more user feedbacks...
    Thanks for the reply. Did you get to try out the GSM version as well? RBOD? I had to look that one up on Google ("red blink of death") . Was that a significant problem for many users and was it eventually fixed by Handspring?

I (briefly) retired my old Nokia cellphone for a Sony Ericsson T610, so a Bluetooth-enabled Palm may be a compromise if the Treo doesn't work out. Still, I'm hoping to start carrying just a single device ASAP.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron

In answer to the original question, I have spent time with gsm and cdma units and can say that the build is much alike on both.
    I forgot to ask, does the GSM version feel significantly lighter than the Sprint version? I remember reading somewhere that the GSM version was somewhat lighter.
    Can't comment on the CDMA or US GSM versions and certainly can't make any meaningful comparison, but the Orange GSM Treo 600 seems to be a very well built device: physically solid, creak-free, well finished. I've only had it two weeks or so but so far I've had no problems at all with the construction.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by conflagrare
    QC problem is a very valid concern for me. I'm thinking of jumping boat to Nokia 6600 because of the QC problems so far. Here's a list:

battery indicator
    battery not charge
    headset jack
    missed calls
    speaker blown

I don't want to have to send in my phone for warranty repairs every month or two. I also plan to keep it for longer than the 1 year warranty!
    That doesn't sound very promising. My old Nokia was abused so badly, I should have been arrested, but still it worked perfectly. But now that phones are a lot more complicated, I'll bet even Nokia will have "issues" with their new phones.

By the way, isn't your user name derived from the Latin word for "burn" (as in "flame")?

16.    #16  
    Originally posted by MarkC
    Can't comment on the CDMA or US GSM versions and certainly can't make any meaningful comparison, but the Orange GSM Treo 600 seems to be a very well built device: physically solid, creak-free, well finished. I've only had it two weeks or so but so far I've had no problems at all with the construction.
    Was it manufactured in Mexico like the US CDMA (Sprint) version is?
    I own a Sprint T600 and have put the unit through very rigorous useage. To date, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Those expecting BOSE-quality audio are simply going to be disappointed. But for a phone/pda/email device, the speaker quality for MP3 playback is really quite good. I recommend buying some quality audio earphones from Apple corporation if sound is that important.

Now, with that said, it is inevitable that some units come with defects. A bad screen here and there, bad speakers, etc. These are to be expected. Send it back for another unit. Simply bad luck. But if there were massive hardware problems, these boards would be on fire with them and, simply, they are not. Quality control is not a 100% science after all.

The Treo600 is simply marvelous. Much better designed, construction-wise, than the 270 or 300. Not to repeat the many positive comments found all over these boards, as well as every positive review made(Cnet, Wall St Journal, PC Mag, etc.), but the Treo600 is a very fine device. There is no reason to be on the fence unless you are waiting for the GSM version.

Waiting for the Treo900 is crazy.
  18. purpleZ
    Originally posted by orrgroup
    Waiting for the Treo900 is crazy.
    No one is talking about future Treos. The question asked is "is there a difference in quality between US CDMA and GSM phones (and even European GSM phones)".

Orange network phones likely also built in Mexico, but I haven't seen one yet.

Bottom line: Is the GSM version going to be better than the CDMA version?

Thanks.
    I certainly would not expect it to be. In any case, the best answer that you can expect to that question is a guess.

HS is known for design, not quality. They push the design envelope at the cost of quality. Their quality strategy is "replacement." Historically they have replaced more quickly than they ship in the first place.

If you are concerned about quality, you should wait.
  20. purpleZ
    Originally posted by whmurray
    HS is known for design, not quality. They push the design envelope at the cost of quality. Their quality strategy is "replacement." Historically they have replaced more quickly than they ship in the first place.

If you are concerned about quality, you should wait.
    Handspring (and Palm) does not manufacture their own hardware, so the problems they had before could go away if they have hired a new prduction company (or if they now insist on better quality from their old contractor).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast