Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hawkins Speaks on the Treo 600 and Future
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6178

"There are some things that we can do to compete against these guys in the smart phone space. But already, and this is going to be a big tease, I have the unbelievable next big thing in mind that I want to work on."

Hmm, what could that be?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Maybe getting the T600 into the hands of people who want them!
    Originally posted by rc46
    Hawkins Speaks on the Treo 600 and Future
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6178

"There are some things that we can do to compete against these guys in the smart phone space. But already, and this is going to be a big tease, I have the unbelievable next big thing in mind that I want to work on."

Hmm, what could that be?
    Maybe they could add a SNEAK PREVIEW of this new device to their website, and send out monthly updates featuring the cool industrial design/form factor to whoop up demand among the loyal customers...
    Originally posted by emajy
    ROFLMAO
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Mcnab
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts

Actually Hawkins tells us a lot there:

1) unbelievable next thing in mind... does not sound like there will be a number of improvements...hi res screen, later wifi, later BT... no.

It sounds like a big next step we will have to wait for.

2) Wait a LONG time cause "I want to work on" means like the dog ate the homework

3) Seems 99% obvious to me that the design team "froze" due to the politics of being acquired, etc., and that by the time he starts "wanting to work" Sony is gonna eat them up as in ALIVE the BOOK.

I think the Treo saga ended here. By the time Hand I mean $$$wegotacquiredandbecamemillionairesisn'tcool$$$ gets back to work other companies like Sony and Samsung will be offering what we all want in 6 to 8 months.

Sounds like Hand $$$ are 2 years away...moving at a snail's pace.

I'm gonna dump the Treo after a see a hi res screen with a thumboard....and if it has wifi, bt, recorder, a good camera and flash I'll dump it before you can say "already the Sony p900 offers so much and weighs 13% less!

But yes, for today the Treo 600 rocks. I love it.
    Originally posted by mgauss
    3) Seems 99% obvious to me that the design team "froze" due to the politics of being acquired, etc., and that by the time he starts "wanting to work" Sony is gonna eat them up as in ALIVE the BOOK.

I think the Treo saga ended here. By the time Hand I mean $$$wegotacquiredandbecamemillionairesisn'tcool$$$ gets back to work other companies like Sony and Samsung will be offering what we all want in 6 to 8 months.

Sounds like Hand $$$ are 2 years away...moving at a snail's pace.

I'm gonna dump the Treo after a see a hi res screen with a thumboard....and if it has wifi, bt, recorder, a good camera and flash I'll dump it before you can say "already the Sony p900 offers so much and weighs 13% less!

But yes, for today the Treo 600 rocks. I love it.

Newsflash:

Handspring has shot its load. There is no U.N.B.T. (unbelievable next big thing). The Treo 600 is a superb proof-of-concept that shows us a glimpse of the future connected world. Handspring should be congratulated for achieving so much with so little. They have been under overwhelming financial pressure for the past two years, but still managed to actually deliver a device that is the best in its class at this point in time.

By the time Handspring/Palm made a significantly redesigned Treo, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Nokia, etc. would have put out four generations of new devices. Future Treos would be obsolete long before they were released and everyone realizes this. There is no room for little fish in the big, bad world of cell phones. Since Handspring is way out of their league, the only solution is to sell the technology to a company that can actually afford do something with it.

The Treo 600 has proven to Sony that PalmOS is a viable platform for the smartphone future and will now save Palm from a painfully slow death.
    Actually, I very much doubt Sony will spend any yen to buy Palm/Handspring etc. and I'll put my own money behind that prediction.

First, recall the Japanese economy is still very much in the depths of an economic depression that is nearing its tenth year. WHile Sony has weathered a good part of the storm with the success of its consumer products (re: films & record labels, financial services,TVs, consumer electronics, Playstations, phones and organizers... in that order), it is a struggling giant. Their recent announcement of 22,000 layoffs over the next three years (represents about 15% of their 155,000 employees world wide) as well as their announcement of lower than expected sales last year (and a bearish guidance for this year) doesn't help any.

Their many concerns include securing LCDs for their products (monitors and flat screen TVs). Rivals Sharp and Matsu****a (#1 and #2 respectively in Japan, while Sony is #3) make their own. Sony has traditionally relied upon procuring them from a third party. This pattern won't change in the near term, though SOny announced a recent joint venture with Samsung (i.e. Samsung makes it, we'll build the plant... but it is in Korea) to secure a steady supply.

While the new PSX with DVD et al. will be a step up from the XBox, it represents a reaction to the XBox's capabilities. While you may decry the XBox, it is a superior gaming machine with all the games hardcore gamers want being built for it (with the exception of Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto, though I believe the latter will change). Its foray into online gaming with the XBox Live service has opened more homes to M$. I have both a PS2 and the XBox, the Microsoft product is the one I play 95+% of the time now. With Sony's PSX, it will regain the mantle of top machine... but does not represent a quantum leap advantage. Eventually MS will bring XBox 2, then there will be PS3 etc With Nintendo essentially iced-out-of-the-picture, a two horse race between MS and Sony has a foregone conclusion. We have seen it with Netscape, IBM, Apple Computer, United States government, etc. MS will win out in the end of any battle it wishes to fight (hey, when a company prefers to pay a $1 million a day fine rather than go to court, it has deep pockets. The conservatives at Sony [it is a Japanese company, and they don't ususually buy other companies, let alone foreign companies]) would fall on their katanas at the equivalent yen being burned.

As for the Smartphone arena, I don't think MS cares at this time. While they need to be visible in this arena, they are too interested in building the OS and forcing everybody to use it. While Nokia and Ericsson/Sony may dominate the mobile phones, eventually (as MS sees it), everyone will need to adopt to a specific standard... and that will be a Windows derived system (I expect to see more of a push after Windows Longhorn comes out and the next Pocket OS for 2004/5 is derived from that). I am not saying that is the best for the consumer or business, but it is quite inevitable.

As a stock tip, buy Dell. They are the masters of mass production, undercutting the market, then dominating it. Trust me, they will eventually build smartphones soon enough. The fact they build Pocket PCs with wireless and bluetooth that have forced prices to plummet should say enough.
    points well spoken, I-one.
    not to split hairs, but I posted this interview about a week or so ago on this forum, with the thread title something like wanting our man Jake E to read the interview and set his sights on Jeff H, to get more scoop...
  11. purpleX
    As for the Smartphone arena, I don't think MS cares at this time. While they need to be visible in this arena, they are too interested in building the OS and forcing everybody to use it. While Nokia and Ericsson/Sony may dominate the mobile phones, eventually (as MS sees it), everyone will need to adopt to a specific standard... and that will be a Windows derived system (I expect to see more of a push after Windows Longhorn comes out and the next Pocket OS for 2004/5 is derived from that). I am not saying that is the best for the consumer or business, but it is quite inevitable.
    SonyEricsson is joint venture, not a Sony division. They are currently third biggest handset maker after Nokia, and distant second Motorola.

The entire telecomm sector is still reeling from the last market bust, so everybody is playing it save instead of throwing money on aquisition and futuristic tech. So forget about somebody tossing 2-300M to own PSRC or PALMO. Also forget about price war. (This one could be on Palmone side tho' they can't afford price war, where handset is priced at $0 or even negative after all sort of subsidies)

2004 will be the first year Microsoft has smartphone outside of UK test market, the mpx number seems to be ok so far.

As a stock tip, buy Dell. They are the masters of mass production, undercutting the market, then dominating it. Trust me, they will eventually build smartphones soon enough. The fact they build Pocket PCs with wireless and bluetooth that have forced prices to plummet should say enough.
    X3 has not affect price so much at $379, since that's also the price of E750. X5 was a significant first for PPC in term of price point, X3 is not. HP will continues to lead PPC shipment for a good while. HP is also poised to release the long rumored h6000 series. It's their second attempt to enter phone business after previous failed attempt with Jornada. This time I think the market will be more perceptive. (It's rumored to be WANDA)

There is no rumor abot Dell making phone in Q1/2, aside from saying they will not making smartphone as of now yet. Something about carriers have too much say in unit price.

U.N.B.T is a wash. It's show time, not fluff talking. If they can't show fresh model by June at the latest, PLMO is toast. FCC doc should show up by April at the latest.
    did anyone read that handheld design concept some guy did and he documented all the design steps made mockups went around to all the manufacturers?? it was a really sick design ive been searching for the page for like a month with no luck he designed a os the hardware everythign it was pretty sick???

it was like a 3 part article with schematics drawings mockups

ahhh its been right under my nose for a long time.

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...ulletTrain.htm
    Last edited by HumP; 11/01/2003 at 08:33 PM.
    Originally posted by ImperialOne

Not well spoken, Dell has officially announced they cancelled their smartphone plans. The R & D are too high for them. Dell only became a major player in PCs when they were a commodity and the form factor and internal components had already been standardized. The smartphone is nowhere near that (althought palmone is close on the smartphone and smartpda).

Remember SE and motorolla have not always been on the top, Nokia burst on the scene w/ smaller phones. Then it happened w/ camera's. Now PalmOne is hoping to do the same w/ the winning smartphone design.
  14. purpleX
    ...winning smartphone design? winning what? cornering the treocentral crowd market?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Originally posted by purpleX
    ...winning smartphone design? winning what? cornering the treocentral crowd market?
    Perhaps they were referring to this:

Treo 600 named "Best of Show" at CeBIT America
    Handspring’s Treo 600 series was named "Best of Show" in the mobile and wireless services category at the CeBit America trade fair in New York, NY. Recognized for its fully integrated QWERTY keyboard and bar phone design, the Treo 600 smartphone was selected for its sleek form factor and advanced feature set.
    Last edited by iJITSU; 11/01/2003 at 09:41 PM.
    Hear, hear....I'm still waiting to actually see a 600 and hold one in my hand. Now that Best Buy's supposedly selling them, I thought I'd go down there and check one out. Of course, there's no Treo on the display shelf. I ask the Sprint rep that's standing there if this store is carrying them.

"Yes, we are, and you can buy one."

"Can I see one first, even a dummy phone?"

"Sorry, you'll have to buy one".

Are these guys for real? Now I'm sure I could have insisted that he go get one and take it out of the box, but life's too short for morons like this. Unfortunately, sales people like this seem to be the norm these days.
  17. purpleX
    How long has cebit America been around anyway? a year? two?

If treo 600 wins the best product in Cebit then I might consider turn my head.
    Ah yes, the next big thing. How about making a smartphone that doesn't look like you're holding a PDA up to your head, Jeff? I love having a keyboard, but please figure out a way to hide the thing (even if it means licensing Nokia's 6600 technology).

Next, come up with a way to keep the price down, but I realize this is probably the toughest part. Still there's no excuse for mass marketing a phone with such an abscence of style. For all of it's features and integration with the software, this is why the Treo will fail (like the 300 did). No one wants to LOOK like a computer geek, even if they are one.
    What? Are you serious? First you cry about not having been able to see one, then you whine about it being too big? I carried a 300 around for a year. The form factor NEVER bothered me but I did always get the "Hey, cool! Is that one of those PDA thingees?" I always thought that was cool. It gave me a chance to show it off. Since getting my 600 (which I LOVE) I have yet to have anyone notice. It's size and feel are perfect! You don't like having a phone this size? Go get a Samsung a530.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Originally posted by purpleX
    How long has cebit America been around anyway? a year? two?

If treo 600 wins the best product in Cebit then I might consider turn my head.
    You asked, "winning what?" as to suggest that the Treo 600 hasn't won anything and/or isn't a "winning design." I provided the qualifying answer. Now, you are attempting to undermine the credibility of CeBit America in the hopes of supporting your original assertion. Ever considered a career in politics?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast