Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. iJITSU's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    #21  
    Originally posted by treo007
    Ah yes, the next big thing. How about making a smartphone that doesn't look like you're holding a PDA up to your head, Jeff? I love having a keyboard, but please figure out a way to hide the thing (even if it means licensing Nokia's 6600 technology).

    Next, come up with a way to keep the price down, but I realize this is probably the toughest part. Still there's no excuse for mass marketing a phone with such an abscence of style. For all of it's features and integration with the software, this is why the Treo will fail (like the 300 did). No one wants to LOOK like a computer geek, even if they are one.
    Have you seen the Motorola MPx200 or Samsung SCH/SPH I600? They look just like your standard folder mobile phone, except run the MS Smartphone OS. The screen on the Moto is excellent and I found the UI to be not that bad. Of course if you prefer the Palm OS (as I do) you may not like them. But for contacts, schedule, email (light), web access, IM, and multimedia they are pretty nice. I would love a smartphone just like the Moto but running the Palm OS. Too bad the SGH I500 was delayed.
  2. #22  
    I waited a year for the T600, It is a great phone add a few apps and it'll do anything. So now rumors are that there is every a better P/HS which they are working on.
    And this is posted even before the T600 has filled it's Pre-Orders!
  3. #23  
    Lenman, I don't think the next thing that Hawkins is talking about is a Treo something. It seems revolutionary. I'd pick up the treo 600 in case it's not revolutionary in the way we expect. Why wait a year if it might suck?

    To the person comparing PS2 to Xbox, you are on crack. The PS2 had the internet connection far before Xbox and the best xbox games can't even begin to compete with the worst PS2 games except Halo.

    Lastly, Cebit is huge and the recommendation is big. Also listen to Mossberg and Business Week who rate it as the best convergence device.
  4. #24  
    PurpleX just spouts off trying to discredit the Treo 600 and Pimp the MS products in any thread she can. As soon as someone shows the flaws in her statements she stops in that thread and moves on to troll/pollute in another thread.
  5. purpleX
    purpleX's Avatar
    #25  
    Originally posted by iJITSU
    You asked, "winning what?" as to suggest that the Treo 600 hasn't won anything and/or isn't a "winning design." I provided the qualifying answer. Now, you are attempting to undermine the credibility of CeBit America in the hopes of supporting your original assertion. Ever considered a career in politics?
    So you consider any prize is just as significant to indicate that treo 600 is a 'winning design'. That was the original contention, not if treo600 has won anything or not.

    Heck I am sure it will win treocentral best of 2004 product award. That ought to count for something right?

    mmm, I should work in politics maybe.
  6. purpleX
    purpleX's Avatar
    #26  
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    Lastly, Cebit is huge and the recommendation is big. Also listen to Mossberg and Business Week who rate it as the best convergence device.
    Cebit is huge, Cebit-America is insignificant. That's what Comdex and CES are for.
  7. #27  
    yeah i have to back up this statement- CEBIT in the US is very small, and pretty insignificant- most people from the US go to Germany for the big show...
  8. iJITSU's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    #28  
    Originally posted by purpleX


    So you consider any prize is just as significant to indicate that treo 600 is a 'winning design'. That was the original contention, not if treo600 has won anything or not.

    Heck I am sure it will win treocentral best of 2004 product award. That ought to count for something right?

    mmm, I should work in politics maybe.
    you didn't clarify in your original statement nor did you set any parameters regarding the quality or significance of any award or accomplishment that would qualify the treo 600 as a "winning smartphone design". So, setting qualifiers after the fact doesn't hold water, but as I hinted before is a trick used in politics (or by anyone who is more concerned with the appearance of being right than with the truth).

    CeBit may be small, but its selection of the treo 600 as best product does in the literal sense qualify the treo 600 as a "winning design". Additionally, the web is full of positive reviews, etc. My personal opinion is that it's a great design with a couple of major oversights. It should have a ruggedized screen since it's not a clamshell because it needs screen protection and the screen should have been high res. There is no reason why they couldn't have used a high res screen, other than cost, because the technology is out there and was months ago when they were designing/planning. Other than that, I think the treo 600 is a step in the right direction. I've also been very impressed with the Motorola MPx200 and I'm looking forward to the Samsung SCH/SPH I600. The Sendo X looks sweet as well. I prefer the Palm OS, but I'll look objectively at any hardware or OS to determine if it better meets my needs. Like the treo or not, I think it is getting to be a pretty cool time for the smartphone format and within the next year, there are going to be some VERY nice products from a few different sources.
  9. #29  
    Originally posted by treo007


    Hear, hear....I'm still waiting to actually see a 600 and hold one in my hand. Now that Best Buy's supposedly selling them, I thought I'd go down there and check one out. Of course, there's no Treo on the display shelf. I ask the Sprint rep that's standing there if this store is carrying them.

    "Yes, we are, and you can buy one."

    "Can I see one first, even a dummy phone?"

    "Sorry, you'll have to buy one".

    Are these guys for real? Now I'm sure I could have insisted that he go get one and take it out of the box, but life's too short for morons like this. Unfortunately, sales people like this seem to be the norm these days.
    Hey, I happen to BE one of those Sprint Reps, y'know... Most reps in our company have no clue what the heck the T600 is or does. Most are college kids trying to work a flexible job (like me). I must be doing something right, because I sold outta my inventory (6) in the first 3 hours I was there. But the reps had them in 2 days before my shift... No one even knew what they were! so yeah, I agree, there ARE morons working here... But then again that can be said for anywhere...
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
  10. #30  
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    What? Are you serious? First you cry about not having been able to see one, then you whine about it being too big? I carried a 300 around for a year. The form factor NEVER bothered me but I did always get the "Hey, cool! Is that one of those PDA thingees?" I always thought that was cool. It gave me a chance to show it off. Since getting my 600 (which I LOVE) I have yet to have anyone notice. It's size and feel are perfect! You don't like having a phone this size? Go get a Samsung a530.
    Yea, you probably mistook the "is that one of those PDA thingees?" as some kind of compliment (it isn't). May I point your attention to the Treo review on Orange's network to be found at this site. That author talks of getting a number of people asking "why is your cell phone so big?" (or something to that effect). This only confirms what the pictures seemed to bear out. Look, I don't need to see it in person to know that it's Geek Phone Big.

    P.S. - Don't be such a fanboy.
    Last edited by treo007; 11/03/2003 at 01:13 AM.
  11. #31  
    Originally posted by starrwulfe


    Hey, I happen to BE one of those Sprint Reps, y'know... Most reps in our company have no clue what the heck the T600 is or does. Most are college kids trying to work a flexible job (like me). I must be doing something right, because I sold outta my inventory (6) in the first 3 hours I was there. But the reps had them in 2 days before my shift... No one even knew what they were! so yeah, I agree, there ARE morons working here... But then again that can be said for anywhere...
    Yes, but unfortunately there seems to be an dispropriationately large amount in the sales department at Sprint. It's weird, because their phone customer service is the best I've encountered in any company, in any industry.
  12. #32  
    Originally posted by iJITSU


    Have you seen the Motorola MPx200 or Samsung SCH/SPH I600? They look just like your standard folder mobile phone, except run the MS Smartphone OS. The screen on the Moto is excellent and I found the UI to be not that bad. Of course if you prefer the Palm OS (as I do) you may not like them. But for contacts, schedule, email (light), web access, IM, and multimedia they are pretty nice. I would love a smartphone just like the Moto but running the Palm OS. Too bad the SGH I500 was delayed.
    I have, and I would agree with you in the case of Motorola. The Samsung is still a bit big, compared with standard phones. I believe Samsung's Palm OS phones from here on out are going to look rather normal as well.
  13. purpleZ
    purpleZ's Avatar
    #33  
    Originally posted by starrwulfe


    Hey, I happen to BE one of those Sprint Reps, y'know... Most reps in our company have no clue what the heck the T600 is or does. Most are college kids trying to work a flexible job (like me). I must be doing something right, because I sold outta my inventory (6) in the first 3 hours I was there. But the reps had them in 2 days before my shift... No one even knew what they were! so yeah, I agree, there ARE morons working here... But then again that can be said for anywhere...


    Originally posted by treo007


    Yes, but unfortunately there seems to be an dispropriationately large amount in the sales department at Sprint. It's weird, because their phone customer service is the best I've encountered in any company, in any industry.
    Sprint Store Guy: 24 - 26 yrs old. Greasy/moussed hair. Thinks Bling Bling fashion and Ricer cars are actually cool. Doesn't really have a clue about the phones he's selling. Tries hard to look like he's so bored with work because he's about to sign a seven figure deal with IBM. Constantly playing with his cell phone and too "busy" to actually sell phones.

    They must clone these kids, because every Sprint store is crawling with them.
  14. #34  
    I don't see anything positive comming out of this thread at this point. Please let it die.

    Thank You
  15. #35  
    Originally posted by purpleZ
    Originally posted by starrwulfe


    Hey, I happen to BE one of those Sprint Reps, y'know... Most reps in our company have no clue what the heck the T600 is or does. Most are college kids trying to work a flexible job (like me). I must be doing something right, because I sold outta my inventory (6) in the first 3 hours I was there. But the reps had them in 2 days before my shift... No one even knew what they were! so yeah, I agree, there ARE morons working here... But then again that can be said for anywhere...




    Sprint Store Guy: 24 - 26 yrs old. Greasy/moussed hair. Thinks Bling Bling fashion and Ricer cars are actually cool. Doesn't really have a clue about the phones he's selling. Tries hard to look like he's so bored with work because he's about to sign a seven figure deal with IBM. Constantly playing with his cell phone and too "busy" to actually sell phones.

    They must clone these kids, because every Sprint store is crawling with them.
    Could not agree more! Look I'm not saying every Sprint store rep is as described above. But you're right, every store's got at least one of them. They seem to have that rare and unfortunate mix of ignorance and arrogance. One shouldn't exist with the other, but there you have it.
  16. purpleX
    purpleX's Avatar
    #36  
    Originally posted by treo007


    I have, and I would agree with you in the case of Motorola. The Samsung is still a bit big, compared with standard phones. I believe Samsung's Palm OS phones from here on out are going to look rather normal as well.
    Samsung is about to release i600, a different machine than i700. i600 is clamshell running Smartphone, the same as Moto mpx200. i700 is a PPC phone edition.
  17. #37  
    Jeff has secretly teamed up with Jake to bring us the Phantom!

    All that stuff about them falling out was just a cover so that Jake could present the phantom concept and get our responses while pretending that it wasn't what he and Jeff were secretly working on already...

    It's time to come clean Jake
  18. #38  
    Originally posted by purpleX


    Samsung is about to release i600, a different machine than i700. i600 is clamshell running Smartphone, the same as Moto mpx200. i700 is a PPC phone edition.
    I know, there doing so on Verizon's network. I've see the i600, it's still too big.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions