1.    #1  
    One thing about the Treo bugs me more than anything else and I am incredibly suprised that nobody else has complained about it thus far.

With *ANY* mobile phone, or smartphone, unread SMS, MMS and/or email and voicemail are indicated with a little icon at the top of the screen. Why is the Treo the only handset i've ever used (and I'vehad a fair few ) whihc doesn't do this? Sure we get the flashing "star" in the top corner of the screen but that is only in certain situations. Take the following example:

Treo reports that you have 3 new emails. You press OK. You forget that you have them waiting there, does the phone remind you? Does it hell! Same with any form of message.

A simple visual indicator, like every cellphone i've used since 1995 would be a massive help and a HUGE improvment. I guess the earlier Treo handsets didnt have this either so most of the readers on this forum are used to it, but for somone who sends and receives a hell of a lot of SMS and Email its a definate problem.

Does anyone know of any software to amend this, or does anyone have the skills to code a simple app to add it?
    A solution has been available for the Treo for a long time: TreoAlertMgr by PDAapps. The current version doesn't work on the Treo 600, but they are working on that.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  3.    #3  
    I've had a look at the link above, thank you for that, but it seems to just be an audible "nag" almost like a snooze alarm. Is it able to simply display an envelope at the top of the screen to show you have an unread message, or a tape to show a waiting voicemail>

Whether it is or it isn't, a visual indicator of waiting messages is a massive thing for Handspring to leave off a smartPHONE.
    Never had a problem with this, as the big screen with the big message displayed has always been good enough for me for sms/email notification.

The envelope icon option would be a cool addition though!

As would complete control of the blinking light.

Haven't checked for 3rd party solutions as it doesn't really bother me- there must be a lot around.
    My old Treo did display a voicemail icon at the top. Not sure if T600 does.
    whats the envelop for on top of the dial pad?
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by tmc19108
    Sarcasm? Sure, I could just keeping turning off keylock, then press the mail shotcut key, but it'd just make more sense if there were a visiable indicator on the main "phone" screen. I'd also (well, I do) have to individually check for unread SMS, then check email, then call up my voicemail, then check my picture messagin inbox. A simple icon for each would be a lot easier. We shouldnt have to find ways around featues which have been built into cellphones since the conception of GSM.
    Originally posted by tmc19108
    It lets you know you have voicemail, but I think omar_g is right, a nice icon for SMS or email would be nice.

While I'm on this ... how come there is no battery indicator when you are using Blazer. Sure would be handy!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Originally posted by omar_g

Sarcasm? Sure, I could just keeping turning off keylock, then press the mail shotcut key, but it'd just make more sense if there were a visiable indicator on the main "phone" screen. I'd also (well, I do) have to individually check for unread SMS, then check email, then call up my voicemail, then check my picture messagin inbox. A simple icon for each would be a lot easier. We shouldnt have to find ways around featues which have been built into cellphones since the conception of GSM.
    No, seriously, there is an envelope on the main "phone" screen when you have voicemail...at least on the Sprint version. Not true for the GSM? And the unread SMS is signaled by the flashing asterisk. Too bad on not having an icon for mail on the GSM version, though, that would be a nice feature. Us Sprint folks don't even get a built in email client, though.
    I would agree with the original poster. On the Samsung i500, the message indicator displays regardless of whether your in the Palm menus or the phone screen. On the 600 you have to be on the phone screen. I have the Treo now & this is a minor annoyance.

I also wish the backlight would stop illuminating on it's own, for no apparent reason, but that's a different rant & thread...