Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was hoping to find a pair of headphones to listen to MP3s that dont need the adapter. I just want some that can plug right into the T600 so I dont have to worry about carring the adapter around, its just something else that can get lost. Thanks
    handspring sells a pair. they are not great but useable. buds are a bit too big for my ears
    You can get stereo 2.5" jack headphones for your Treo 600 on eBay for $12.99 +s/h.

Here's the link: http://search.ebay.com/search/search...0&BasicSearch=
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I like the idea of the Handspring brand earbud headphones with the proper connector. However, I don't like the thought of tangled cables due to the earbud form factor.

Anyone know of any brand of headphones with retractable cables that would work without an adapter? I know there are some for the iPod, like one by Macally, but I believe they require the adapter.

http://www.macally.com/new/new_podio.html
    The retractable part of this thread as well as other headset stuff is covered in the accessories forum.
    Just had an idea...
    How about cutting off the plug and solder this on:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D298
    don't the ipod headphones work properlly?
    Colby sells a pair with two adaptors on the end (one for normal devices and one mini one). It also has a microphone in it so you *should* be able to use it as a headset as well (though I can't get this to work. $15
    Can you post a link to this product? I'd sure love a dual purpose headset instead of carrying around (or forgetting to carry around to be accurate) two headsets! I would've thought Handspring would have sold this as an accessory!
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
    I think these are what Kurt is referring to...

Coby Stereo headset with boom-mike:
    http://www.cobyusa.com/product/item2...ee&little_img=

Coby Stereo headset with inline-mike:

Thanks for the heads up Kurt.

Dave Lindberg
    Oooooo...
    I like the behind the neck design of these things, but do they have both the 3.5mm and 2.5 mm plugs dangling from the same cord (bad design) or is one an adapter... or do you get your choice when actually ordering?

By the way, how DO you order from this site?
    hey, whill this work?

CV-FM70

"HANDS-FREE" EAR/MICROPHONE with FM SCANNER RADIO

Sounds sweet if it does. No more need for the FM SD card! The only thing would be that it seems to be only good for 1 ear and it probably doesn't allow for another headphone to get plugged in.
    Last edited by inspecta gadget; 11/03/2003 at 04:16 PM.
    Originally posted by MobileGuy
    handspring sells a pair. they are not great but useable. buds are a bit too big for my ears
    The headphones that Handspring sells look like normal earbud headphones that say, Sony makes. I am guessing that you do not need the adaptor for the Handspring headphones, while headphones from other companies that appear to be almost identical do require the use of the adaptor. Is this correct?

I can't seem to figure out how the headphones are different. I could get a pair of Sony earbuds for $10 and the adaptor for $6, which would cheaper than paying $20 to Handspring for the headphones. However, I think it might be better to just have headphones instead of having headphones and an adaptor.
    I'm not sure that this would work regardless because you don't get system sounds (like Palm OS sounds or MP3 output) via your handsfree headset.

I'm thinking the adaptor must switch the device to push these sounds out? I still just want one headset that does system sounds as well as phone sounds (talk and hear).

Anyone with some insight on this? Does this all make sense? ;-)
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
    Originally posted by turnepf
    I'm not sure that this would work regardless because you don't get system sounds (like Palm OS sounds or MP3 output) via your handsfree headset.

I'm thinking the adaptor must switch the device to push these sounds out? I still just want one headset that does system sounds as well as phone sounds (talk and hear).

Anyone with some insight on this? Does this all make sense? ;-)
    You basically want a handsfree device that you can use to make phone calls with, that doubles as a set of headphones?

That would be pretty neat.
    Exactly. Does that seem like such a stretch? What are the technical reasons why that wouldn't be possible?
    Originally posted by freudov23
    A HS CS rep assured me that their stereo headset will serve both functions (i.e. phone and mp3 audio support). He stated that there is a clip on mic attached that is activated during a phone call. I ordered one today despite my skepticism. This mic does not appear to be present in the HS screen shot.
    There is no mic on the HS stereo earbud headphones.
    So are we talking apples and apples? Maybe the HS rep was referring to the Treo High-Performance Headset?

Again, anyone on some insight about technical difficulties with this concept? Seems a no-brainer.
    Originally posted by inspecta gadget
    "HANDS-FREE" EAR/MICROPHONE with FM SCANNER RADIO
    I bought a similar item by Belkin, and it did not work in my Treo 600. The radio worked, but I got no sound from MP3's. Caveat emptor.

Originally posted by turnepf
    Again, anyone on some insight about technical difficulties with this concept?
    I believe there is a technical challenge with this concept. There are four conductors needed for this application: left signal, right signal, microphone, and ground. But there are only three conductors on the T600 hands-free connector. Why? Who knows...the T270 and T300 used the 4-conductor connector. Anyway, in order to get four functions out of three wires, the T600 has to do some fancy sensing so that it knows whether it should be using the available three conductors for music (left-right-ground) or for a phone call (left-ground-mic). The T600 then switches between these modes depending on what it senses is plugged in. So in order for our proposed solution to work properly headset has to "look" to a Treo like a headset most of the time, but then like a hands-free set when the phone rings. How is this done? Probably through varying the resistance of the circuits in the different modes. Can it be done? Probably...SkullCandy and PC-Mobile are working on it. Is it simple. No one has found it simple so far!
    I looked at the colby cv-m807... looks cool as it would be a stereo headset and a hands free kit for the phone, but if you look at the connectors they only have the 2 black bands... which means it may work as a stereo headset, but not as a hands free cell phone set.... I believe the hands free sets for the treo need to have the 3 black bands.....

am I wrong??????????

I hope so...... this would be a great solution to carrying 2 headsets......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast