1.    #1  
    I was wondering which would most people here prefer? Right now I've found that 256 MB SD cards are available for about $60 bucks each while one 512 MB card is around $140 bucks. Thus the two 256 MB cards are slightly cheaper, but overall about the same price with shipping etc. What do ya'll think is the better way to go?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I was thinking about two cards - pros and cons. I ended up buying one 512mb card and am very pleased with it.

Ben

Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I was wondering which would most people here prefer? Right now I've found that 256 MB SD cards are available for about $60 bucks each while one 512 MB card is around $140 bucks. Thus the two 256 MB cards are slightly cheaper, but overall about the same price with shipping etc. What do ya'll think is the better way to go?
    Ditto as Ben, It was just easier w/one card, less to rememebr and carry! Take care, Jay
    Also, another card to keep track of - 2 for my camera - naw, buy what you can afford. I frankly do not see myself needing an additional card with the 512mb in possession. As a note, I have found that when the Treo 600 resets itself and completes the bootup process, the card is no longer recognized. To get the card recognized, I have to eject and reinsert the card. I have noted it popping out by itself only one time. The initial file-down I did via the Time the Toolman bench grinder needs a bit of a touch up.

Also, when you do get the card, please take the time to look at a backup program to backup the device to the SD card. I use Blue Normad's Backup Buddy.

Take care

Originally posted by ilovedessert
    Ditto as Ben, It was just easier w/one card, less to rememebr and carry! Take care, Jay
    Given the cost savings, I plan to go with 2 256MB cards. I'll step up to a 512 if I ever have a single file that's more than 256MB, but I think that will be a rarity.
    Definitely go with 512.

I think this all comes down to that fundamental question of PDAs:

If you have two cards, will you have to think about bringing both of them along? If so, there's a good chance you'll only be using one of them most of the time. A bit oversimplified, yes, but I like to grab my Treo, wallet, and keys, and run out the door.

Also, keep in mind that if you keep a lot of apps on one card (A), and music on the other card (B), you won't be able to play all that music in the background while using your apps.

I had a 256 lying around that I picked up on sale over the summer, so that's what I'm using.
    I'm in the minority here, but I'd go with 2 of the 256K cards. I wasn't sure I needed 512K at first. That allowed me to try it out without the full investment. Second, having two cards can be handy in case you break or lose one. You still have half your data and a way to continue to play some music until you pick up a new one. Lastly, there's the money savings. I also speculate that 512 will come down in price soon and it won't be a premium expense to two 256s.
    As soon as the 512MB cards come down in price to the 256 cards (in terms of price/MB) I'm buying two, and handing down my old cards to my family!

Where's best price for 512MB cards in UK?

Ebay.co.uk?
    backupbuddy does not work with palm 5.0, it will not completely backup all of your stuff, unless they came out with their promised upgrade, whcih they keep saying will be any day now, take care, jay
    Backupbuddy does work with os5 - I use it on my Treo 600. The only thing it does not do is backup the ROM. It backs up the main memory on the Treo with no problems at all and after a hard reset to test what I had done, it restored the Treo from the card. No problem at all. Ben

--------------

Originally posted by ilovedessert
    backupbuddy does not work with palm 5.0, it will not completely backup all of your stuff, unless they came out with their promised upgrade, whcih they keep saying will be any day now, take care, jay
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I use Kinomo and if you turn a full length DIVX movie into something you can watch on the Treo, it ends up around 350mb. You really have to reduce the framerate and quality to get a whole movie into less than 250mb...
    Mark F Chinsky
    I have 3 256 mb cards and a smattering of smaller cards. I can't stand having my data scattered over all the different things. I've been thinking about upgrading to a 512 but with 1 GB coming out soon (hopefully) I'm actually waiting so I don't have to upgrade quite so often.
    hi wait to u see the $ of the 1 gig cars, very pricey!! take care, jay
  14.    #14  
    Well just to update you guys, I eventually bought a 512 card. However be forwarned regarding the type you buy. I have a Sandisk branded one and it's so very sloooooooooow My VFSMarks are around 140. However I did get a super cheap deal for $125 USD! So I'm not complaining too much!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Ok, where did you get it for $125?

16.    #16  
    I got it through a special promotion on Ebuyer. I found the promotion on promocodes for an immediate online order. They only had 3-4 in stock so I jumped on it! They already sold out though now... However, I think you can find them now for about $150 w/shipping if you do a search on pricegrabber.