Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Alright, everyone has made me feel too guilty about using the handspring email client that was illegally distributed. does anyone know how to uninstall it? the normal delete menu only has a Mail file that is 0kb in size. I thing the installer prc may have put some files into ROM.

incidentally, I thought it was a decent pop client, if you only had one pop account. for multiple accounts, it was a pain, since you had tp fetch email from one account at a time (there didn't seem to be a "send and receive all" option). Also, the attachment support was limited... you only send midi and jpg filed, and only from internal memory. It's no replacment for Snapper, IMO
    Is this email client for sale anywhere?

I have been told that if you have each account set to auto check, it will check both, even if your in the other account setting.

Wait for an answer for a better source, but I think FileZ will do what you want (uninstall).
    At first I didn't realize why Sprint didn't want it included with the Treo and I realized because it could totally bypass the need for PictureMail or the Snapper/SD combination. It's a great way to send photos very simply, from your own e-mail address, without advertising for Sprint.

I am, however, also interested in knowing how to uninstall it. Is there a list of files that we could use Filez to remove?

Thanks in advance!

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    I haven't tried installing HS mail yet, but you should be able to sort the Filez listing by Creator and group all of the relevant files together for deleting. The Creator ID for the installation program Mail Installer is SHEL.
    Zane
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by zvandiver
    I haven't tried installing HS mail yet, but you should be able to sort the Filez listing by Creator and group all of the relevant files together for deleting. The Creator ID for the installation program Mail Installer is SHEL.
    Zane
    I didn't see any files with the creater "SHEL" but there were a bunch of files (about 16 of them) with "email" in the name created by "HSDM." I'll delete those and see how what happens. Hope that's all of it!
    Originally posted by sbono13
    Alright, everyone has made me feel too guilty about using the handspring email client that was illegally distributed.
    Where did you get it? Could you send it to me or show me where to find it, PLEASE!
    [link removed]
    Mike
    Mike

"Because none of us are as dumb as all of us."
    I installed this yesterday so I could take a look at it. It's not bad. Kind of basic though. I think SnapperMail has more features.

Considering that I already paid for SnapperMail, and that this has license issues for CDMA users, I deleted it this morning. Deleting the files created by HSDM did the trick.

Now sleeping soundly with a clear conscience ...
    ~ShooterX~
    - President George W. Bush

Can someone post a list of the correct files to delete? I don't want to delete something by accident and screw it up.
    Thanks.
  10. purpleZ
    Originally posted by Mort
    Can someone post a list of the correct files to delete? I don't want to delete something by accident and screw it up.
    Thanks.
    Get Uninstall Manager and let it do the job for you.

http://www.northglide.com/downloads.html
    The quickest and very easy method of deleting the app would be to
    1. Conduct a hot sync
    2. Go to the backup directory on your PC and delete the hanspring mail app
    3. Do a hard reset on your device
    4. resync

You may need to re-adjust a couple of tweaks, but everything you had before minus the email app will be installed.

www.treobits.com
    Treo 600 friendly website with Ringtones, Shoutcast Feeds and more...
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    As reported on the pdaphonehome board, an email client has surfaced on the official treo 600 download site. No one has any qualms about us using this version on our treo600s, I hope? Incidentally, the install prc is aabout 200 k larger than the one that had been distributed a few weeks ago...

PalmOne beta pop mail for treo posted
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...oads_table.jsp

Here it is! A simple and free pop email client for the treo 600.

Beta application that allows you to send and receive POP3 email on the Sprint PCS Treo 600 smartphone. Posted 11/10/03
    Last edited by sbono13; 11/15/2003 at 12:03 PM.
    A couple things I've noticed, fileZ does not allow you to remove files in ROM, so you can't use it to remove the mail client. Unless I'm missing something. It would not let me unprotect the files, or delete them off my T600.

Botzam did work great to remove it.

Doing a hard reset does not get rid of it. It's written into the ROM of the phone. It has to be deleted. (ok I tied this on my ahem... samsung i330) Preformed a hard reset and it was still there in all it's glory. Botzam took care of it though.
    Originally posted by sbono13
    As reported on the pdaphonehome board, an email client has surfaced on the official treo 600 download site. No one has any qualms about us using this version on our treo600s, I hope? Incidentally, the install prc is aabout 200 k larger than the one that had been distributed a few weeks ago...

The version on the download site is a 30 day free trial, and it's not the same version that shipped on the Treo 600. Look at the screen shots and compare them with the Treo 600 version.

Not the same application... The quote below is taken directly from the email page.

"COMPATIBILITY: Treo Mail works with Treo 180, 270 and 300. It is not compatible with Treo 600. To find an email application for use with your Treo 600, visit our Software section."

Here is the link to the "Beta" email program for the Sprint Treo 600. http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...tProducts=4442
    Last edited by ferrarinu; 11/15/2003 at 12:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ferrarinu

Here is the link to the "Beta" email program for the Sprint Treo 600. http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...tProducts=4442 [/COLOR]
    That's the program i was referring to. It is v1.02, where the illicit handspringg mail client was v1, but i don't know what the difference is (other than ethical issues). anyway, it's perfectly free and clear. here's the instructions on how to remove the client... presumeably, it would also work to remove the "other" version if you still have it, although i imagine just installing this new one over the old one would be fine and also preserve your settings.

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=9445

How to uninstall

Press Applications Launcher .
    Press Menu .
    From the App menu, choose Delete.
    Delete the following files:
    EMail Sync Task
    Mail
    Mail_Tips
    MailExchange-HsMx
    When finished, choose Done.
    After doing the unisntall as instructed by the FAQ page my "send" function and beam function no longer work and it casues a reset of the Treo.

For example, when I go to the ringtone list and press the send button it does nothing and when I press it again it causes a reset. Before when I pressed send button it brought up a list: Beam, SnapperMail. Also when I try to beam stuff it does nothing the first try and the second try resets the Treo.

Anyone have this problem?