Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Per that sticky message above...

Too many forums.

Divide and Conquer will defeat only TreoCentral.

I hear a death knell.

Buh bye!
    Even though I don't have the same stance as the poster of this thread (I love it here, not going away), I do agree the deviding the forums up the way it has been done makes little sense.

There are just too many forums, and without enough activity in any one of them people will just stick to the forum they like and continue to post. (sorta like how people are doing this now)

I have been chatting on message boards like this for over 17 years, and I can tell you I have seen this move by board moderators MANY MANY times and it always ends up in failure.

just my .02
    Agreed.

One of the things about the 600 is that it is the first Treo to run Os5 therefore there are a lot of software issues specific to it.

Right now, here is where all the discussion is. Trying to artificially send people off to different places doesn't work and just causes resentment.

It's like being at a fun party where the host tries too hard to 'organise' the guests...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    The biggest problem with the organization of the forums here is that distinguishing between a "software" and "hardware" issue generally is not possible. How does one really know what is the cause of the problem? Or, for example, if there is a question about software compatibility, is that a "hardware" or "software" question? This leads one to need to post it to either one or the other of the forums, or both, which definitely is not desireable. To make this point further, think about the issue of "cases", which supposedly is an "accessory" issue. However, isn't a question of whether the phone (hardware) fits in a specific case actually related to the hardware?

The proof is in the pudding -- members want to go to one forum to learn and exchange info about the 600. That's the natural inclination of users, and the forum should reflect that.
    Originally posted by tgabber
    It's like being at a fun party where the host tries too hard to 'organise' the guests...
    great analogy.
    Originally posted by tgabber

True, but we are trying to balance that with another analogy. That of a library-like resource that people can use to help themselves. The problem is that no one is giving the new structure a chance; everyone is dismissing it offhand.
    What do they say about KISS (and I don't mean the group).

These are growing pains, I moderate PWC forums and see this from time to time. Need to keep it basic. Like the way it was for the T300.

You can't make everyonr happy..

I don't envy the moderators job here...

Overall, they are doing a fine job. If they are like me, they get paid the big goose egg to moderate the forums.

My opinion, 2-cents worth, and babbling, Matt
    Originally posted by authentication
    The proof is in the pudding -- members want to go to one forum to learn and exchange info about the 600. That's the natural inclination of users, and the forum should reflect that.
    Just because people want to do it doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Flaming comes to mind. Please give this a chance. We are asking your cooperation in return for providing the forums. Thanks.
    Same here. Too many forums. I tried to PM KRamasuer with my thoughts but his mailbox was full.

SD and the case is hardware, why does it need it's own forum?

A problem we experience with the Treo may be software or hardware. Sometimes it is impossible to tell which without extensive hardware and software diagnostics. Why have a separate software forum for the 600 and prohibit discussing software issues on the 600 forum , per the guideline is harware only?
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    Same here. Too many forums. I tried to PM KRamasuer with my thoughts but his mailbox was full.
    I fixed it. Sorry 'bout that one.
    Kurt, I appreciate your listening and, regardless of the resolution, I will remain a TreoCentral user and supporter. If you could explain the definitions of hardware versus software with more clarity, that may help. In some respects, I'm stating this rhetorically as I do not believe there is a valid distinction. If we knew whether a problem was hardware or software, we probably wouldn't have a problem.

This goes for comments as well. For example, if I wanted to review my experiences with the camera for the benefit of other users and that includes the software that runs the camera, where does that post go? Should I post two separate messages, one just relating to hardware and the other for software? Does that make sense?

Also, the 600 forum handled thousands of posts on "ordering" the 600. If there was ever an issue that was clearly not "hardware" related, that was it. Sure, it dealt with "acquiring" the hardware but how you dealt with Spring or what the status of your order is really had nothing to do with the hardware itself.

Bottom line, I just think these distinctions are too difficult to sort out and that is what frustrates people. When I said in my earlier post that people's natural inclination is to go to the 600 forum, the result of that is that the 600 forum is the one that gets all the traction. So, if I post something to Accessories, which I have for cases, I generally get no response. If I post the same question to the 600 forum, I usually get a prompt response.

Just some thoughts to consider. Thanks again for listening.
  12. purpleX
    1.If mod has to keep moving posts for seemingly innocent mistakes, that means the forum category is not convinient or not obvious to user.

2. for a forum that only support one product. (still selling product anyway) TCF sure has boat load of forums. stream line and reorg maybe?

3. most forum are really dead forum. Location, location, location.

4. what's the different between general chat, all handhelds, off topic? They might be fun and make sense during 'Handspring" era, but I think they are redundant and a bit like death valley.

5. SD/IO card? really now. what SD/IO card?

6. multimedia? in treo? hmm...
  13. purpleX
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Just because people want to do it doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Flaming comes to mind. Please give this a chance. We are asking your cooperation in return for providing the forums. Thanks.
    there is a certain logic people posting software problem in treo 600 forum. It might be that they think it's treo 600 specific problem, since the software category encompases treo 90/180/270/600.

These 'people; are your users, not some random electronic blip to be managed. Better listen or they go somewhere else.

What good is a forum if the organization doesn't make sense to user? I am not saying radical change, but something definitely can be tweaked.

PS. tcf is ranked higher than PIC by now. time to consider that fact and expand market eh?
    I understand and see your problem, but posting "guidelines" are just a bunch of blah, blah, blah.

Why? because 90% of the site traffic is in one forum "Treo 600" If someone has a question about an SD Card, they will probably post it in "Treo 600" forum because that's where it will be seen first. Although I do search (except when posting from my 600 on the mobile site) most people are not going to, especially new posters. So just be prepared to keep moving post.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I guess I should speak up because I'm one of the persons that asked the moderators to do something (over in the TreoCentral forum, for those that hadn't seen it )

First of all, I hope we all agree that there are (too) many posts these days and it is hard to keep track of the posts. I'm not a control freak and I don't mind that I can't read all the posts. What does bother me is that I find it hard to track the topics that do interest me. I already have a Treo 600, so I'm mostly interested in accessories and software. Not in tons of posts about the availability of the GSM model from operator xyz, not in complaints about HS communication. I'd like to stress that I do understand these are very important topics, but just not for me.

Secondly, some forums could be merged back. At some point there were many posts about SD cards, but they could easily go into the Accessories forum. Same for Multimedia, they could probably merge with Communication. Having said that, it's easy to find the examples of topics that are hard to categorize as fitting in exactly one forum. However, it's easy as well to find the examples of topics that do fit in a category. PocketTunes, SnapperMail, VeriChat, etc all fit in Communication & Multimedia. Headsets, SD cards, cradles, cases all fit in Accessories.

I'm listening to other opinions and I do share some of the concerns. At the same time, I do think that it is needed to make the board more usable again. So for those that don't agree with using multiple forums, do you have alternative solutions? Of course, if you think that everything is working fine as is then no need to suggest anything else.
    Going back to Kurt's library analogy, there is a good argument for categorising the threads *after* they have become exhausted, thus people researching for particular info might find it more easily.

But however much you might want to impose organisation on the active discussions, it just ain't going to happen. I'd say reduce the number of forums to 2. About Handspring products and everything else...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Just want to kick in my $0.02 that I agree there are too many forums. It's getting a little ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I for one am OK with more forums, but it seems like it make more sense if they were organized around the platform rather than the greater community.

For instance all the "other" non-hardware specific forums are lumped together, while the hardware is separated. You also may get more people to use them.

It seems that almost everything, hardware and software on these devices is specific to the device. While there is some overlap between them, most information is mostly relevant to the device being discussed.

Now the Treo 600 thread is in

TreoCentral.com >> Discussion >> Treo Models >> Treo 600 >>

Where the multimedia thread is in

TreoCentral.com >> Discussion >> Software

If nothing else, this layout does not lend itself to browsing around and looking at things.

I think it may make more sense and be more practical if it each piece of hardware gets its own set of "other forums". So under the Treo 600, you get multimedia, software, and whatever.

The discussion groups closer to the root of the tree are for truly generic discussions that have nothing to do with a device.

Donít know if I made any sense here, but it makes sense to me.
    Originally posted by willp2

I think it may make more sense and be more practical if it each piece of hardware gets its own set of "other forums". So under the Treo 600, you get multimedia, software, and whatever.

The discussion groups closer to the root of the tree are for truly generic discussions that have nothing to do with a device.

Donít know if I made any sense here, but it makes sense to me.
    I agree totally. I saw many examples of threads where people were wondering if they were talking about a Treo 180, 270 or 300. This wouldn't happen if there is one forum for each device with subforums under it (if really necessary).

If the motive is to make TC look bigger than it is by having so many forums, consider what counts is the total number of posts. Having fewer and better organized forums encourages more posts.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I agree that forcing people into the general forums will simply frustrate them. I've seen this happen in several other web forums. The end result is invariably that people ignore the guidlines and if the staff continue to try to enforce it, then the users simply go away. When you find that the only way to find anything useful in a general forum is to put the specific name of the device in the subject, then obviously that post would have made more sense in a device specific forum. And there's really nothing more frustrating than doing a search and having to wade through hundreds of posts related to your subject, but not applicable because the behavior is different for your device.
    On the other hand, if I search for information about pTunes in the Treo600 forum, I *know* I'm finding relevant information.

A Treo 90 doesn't run the same software that a Treo 300 does, that a Treo 600 does, even if they sometimes share the same OS. They have different capabilities and performance and how that software runs on the device will reflect that. Many accessories for the Treo 600 are specific to the 600 (case, headsets, adapters.. etc).

If you want to split the forum up, it'd make more sense to do as suggested above, and put sub categories under the device specific directory. Treo 600 - General Treo 600 - Hardware Treo 600 - Software Treo 600 - Accessories

And BTW, I think the host over-organizing the party analogy makes more sense than the library analogy. You don't talk in a library. Libraries are static and unchanging. Is that what you want? This is a "discussion" forum. Yes, people don't search as much as they should before posting, but I can guarantee you that if you force all Treo 600 posts into a bunch of seemingly unrelated forums, you'll find people searching even less, and everytime you move such a post, they'll just become irritated. Not going to make anyone's life any easier.

Maybe a sticky forum FAQ would stem some of the flood of posts.

ian
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast