Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wanted to report my negative experience with my 600 today, maybe someone else has had a similar one. Using the treo at the airport it all of a sudden shut off, no warning and no turning it back on no matter what I did. Finally found a socket in the terminal plugged it in and powered it on, but could only leave it in a minute and when I unplugged it got a message that my battery was fatally low and died agian. This was less then 2 hours after being taken off the charger overnight.

I know this isn't handsprings concern, but what made this especially bad for me is I had to leave right from work to the airport unplanned and was completely out of touch with family and co-workers for hours, no phone numbers to confirm my rental car or get follow-up direction (should of printed them out instead of emailing them to my treo).

I need my treo to be rock solid, hopefully this is either an isolated incident or just a single defective unit, cause I would hate going back to a regular phone, but not having a 99.999% reliable phone is not an option.
    I am very concerned about battery consumption as well. I have only had mine for about 5 days and in reality have not used it that much. I certainly have not been using the phone much. But it seems to take forever to charge fully. Like almost all day. And if it just sits off the charger overnight, the battery symbol drops by about a third. That is far worse than even my Treo 300.

Alan Hamm
    The SD card is there so you can always restore important data to your Treo or any other Palm SD card device.

You also have the option of using your internet connection to restore your data.

If you have an Orange Treo, this feature is built-in.

SO IMHO, the T600 is much more reliable than a standard phone, as you have 2 ways to restore data.

Once you can write to the flash rom with Jack Flash, you will have a 3rd way!
    I believe it was an isolated experience. Did you read about the solar hurricane? It caused a huge negative impact on satellites ane telecom devices of all sorts. Just a thought . . .
    I'd like to add something positive.....

Bought my Treo 600 3 weeks ago. Loving it like crazy. Yesterday..it came to my rescue. Someone ran into the back of my car....forcing me into the back of someone else's car. Nobody was hurt but the guy that hit me in the back was acting real fishy. Soon as I got out of the car.....I started taking pictures with my Treo. My car was not damaged ( it's actually a truck with a hunk of steel as a rear bumper) but the guy that hit me now has a hood that looks like Mount Fuji!! His front end was really tore up. He keep trying to get me to let him pay me off...no dice. I had pics and I had already called the state police. All of a sudden the guy got in his car and sped off. The lady ( the car in front of me) and I were like damm. But remember...I had pictures of his car...including his license plates. I even called my insurance company...told them I had pics and that I could send them right at that moment. They were like "really"?. Yes...there is a happy ending......so far!!

Just goes to show that my Treo 600 has just paid for itself...

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by lweisenb

I know this isn't handsprings concern, but what made this especially bad for me is I had to leave right from work to the airport unplanned and was completely out of touch with family and co-workers for hours, no phone numbers to confirm my rental car or get follow-up direction (should of printed them out instead of emailing them to my treo).
    Hopefully it was an isolated incident. However, what did we do before cel phones? You were completely out of touch with family and co-workers for hours? What did we do before cel phones. Public pay phones work, as do phones on the planes. I'm not saying it's ok that the battery died, but you make it sound like those few hours you had no way to contact anyone and were stuck on a road in the boonies.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Originally posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    I even called my insurance company...told them I had pics and that I could send them right at that moment. They were like "really"?. Yes...there is a happy ending......so far!!

Just goes to show that my Treo 600 has just paid for itself...

IGO
    Beautiful!! Now *that's* what it's all about.
    Originally posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    All of a sudden the guy got in his car and sped off. The lady ( the car in front of me) and I were like damm. But remember...I had pictures of his car...including his license plates. I even called my insurance company...told them I had pics and that I could send them right at that moment. They were like "really"?. Yes...there is a happy ending......so far!!
    Good story! All this talk of camera phones being some kind of evil, yet they are much more often used on the side of good...
    I love the accident story! Living in California where auto insurance rates are high and fraud abounds, I'm sure my camera will get similar use as well.

As to battery life, the first few days I was disappointed in the battery life - I felt it was way shorter than it should be. However, after getting almost a month on it now, I am very happy with the battery. I think it was really due to using my new toy a lot more than I usually would.

Charging is quick and I usually keep it topped off during the day and so have plenty of juice at all times.
    -former
    I don't get the charging then. Been connected for over 4 hours this am. No use other than alarms. Red light is still on although it shows full, but still charging.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I've had my T600 since the week it came out. I use the phone pretty extensively during the day, including multiple IR hotsynchs and some picture taking and web browsing, and I don't charge it up until I get home (about 10 hours or so between charging). I haven't had the battery meter drop below 1/2 full yet, and considering how much I use it, I think your problem was probably isolated, or maybe you have a bum unit.
    Just wanted to report my negative experience with my 600 today, maybe someone else has had a similar one. Using the treo at the airport it all of a sudden shut off, no warning and no turning it back on no matter what I did. Finally found a socket in the terminal plugged it in and powered it on, but could only leave it in a minute and when I unplugged it got a message that my battery was fatally low and died agian. This was less then 2 hours after being taken off the charger overnight.

I need my treo to be rock solid, hopefully this is either an isolated incident or just a single defective unit, cause I would hate going back to a regular phone, but not having a 99.999% reliable phone is not an option.
    I feel for you ... but just a few suggestions.

I do not know if your T600 had a signal in the airport, but if the 300 is any example, the constant searching for a network signal will drain the battery quickly.

Also, Vision usually stays on, even after your session has ended. To turn it off, you need to turn off the wireless mode. This may also drain your battery more quickly.

If you have polling for email, same thing.

All this stuff has an effect on the battery ... Vision, brighter screen, email and more. The battery should take longer to charge ... it is bigger than the 300's ... bigger batteries need more juice to get charged up ... mine takes a few hours to get fully charged. The 600's battery doesn't mind if it gets plugged in when you have only used it for about 25% of the charge ... so go ahead and plug it in on the way to the airport or overnight or wherever ... life will become easier.

This is a wonderful device, we just need to adapt to the changes it brings to our lives.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Last week my t600 showed 100% charge for 2 days, even though I hadn't charged it. The third day, it was still at 100%, and I was thinking that I had unbelievably good battery life until I tried to make a call. The phone suddenly shut off, and when I reset it, it gave me the extremely low battery message. Anyone else have this problem happen?

Also, I usually hook the T600 to my computer and use the USB port to charge, but this won't work if the battery is too low. In this case, I had to use the A/C charger to get it back to halfway before the USB charge would work.
  14.    #14  
    You just reminded me of my last flight out of town, by the time I got back the battery was really dead. Took a good 20 minutes on the car charger before it would power up. No response at all, thought it was broken.

I've had a few times where the battery was completely full all day then within 20 minutes it drops to 1/4 full. My main concern was that it was on the charger, charged with the green light not even 2 hours before this happened. I was in good cell coverage the entire time.

The mysterious reboots i've gotten used too, had a guy on the plane today ask me if they fixed that with the 600 cause his 300 did it. Anyway just hoping that if it is a broad problem we can get a fix, mine unit is a revision C.

Oh, i completely understand all the factors that can affect battery life, but as I mentioned in my original post it was charged overnight. The plane I was on didn't have phones on it and all my phone numbers where in the treo, was only a 12 hour trip so I packed light. Payphones dont do alot of good without a phone number to dial. I know most people dont have mission critical jobs, and use the treo as a gadget. I need to use it as a business tool, most of the time I'm driving to the airport before I know what flight im on, call in to corporate and get a confirmation number, get off the plain and find out what car/hotel accomidations were made for me. I also receive automated email notifications on the treo for 12 differant mission critical systems where shutting down ford/chrysler/gm for even 10 minutes can cost our company 100K or worse yet millions of dollars in business.

This post was more generated cause it was 4:00am and I didnt have a hotel so I had to sit around the depot till my 9:50 flight.
    Last edited by lweisenb; 10/31/2003 at 02:54 PM.
    Originally posted by mostlymac
    Last week my t600 showed 100% charge for 2 days, even though I hadn't charged it. The third day, it was still at 100%, and I was thinking that I had unbelievably good battery life until I tried to make a call. The phone suddenly shut off, and when I reset it, it gave me the extremely low battery message. Anyone else have this problem happen?

Also, I usually hook the T600 to my computer and use the USB port to charge, but this won't work if the battery is too low. In this case, I had to use the A/C charger to get it back to halfway before the USB charge would work.
    This may be yet another symptom of faulty applications on your Treo that have caused soft resets (verify this by using the ##377 command). Soft resets have been shown to interfere with the Battery Charge indicator (search for other threads for details).

Remove the application shown as faulty by ##377.
    Oh, i completely understand all the factors that can affect battery life, but as I mentioned in my original post it was charged overnight. The plane I was on didn't have phones on it and all my phone numbers where in the treo, was only a 12 hour trip so I packed light.
    Buy a couple of cheap 32 MB SD Cards and BACK UP your data regularly!

You might also want to get an external battery pack.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I had the exact problem as lweisenb...totally random after getting in a cab after landing...screen goes dark and wouldn't resuscitate no matter what.

After plugging it in for a couple of seconds, somehow it came back on with a full battery...

Strangely, it had lost all its data-

I think it was a defective battery, or a defective sensor that somehow thinks its out of juice even when it isn't.

Hardware problem.
    I know most people dont have mission critical jobs, and use the treo as a gadget. I need to use it as a business tool, most of the time I'm driving to the airport before I know what flight im on, call in to corporate and get a confirmation number, get off the plain and find out what car/hotel accomidations were made for me. I also receive automated email notifications on the treo for 12 differant mission critical systems where shutting down ford/chrysler/gm for even 10 minutes can cost our company 100K or worse yet millions of dollars in business.

This post was more generated cause it was 4:00am and I didnt have a hotel so I had to sit around the depot till my 9:50 flight.
    RETURN IT FOR A NEW TREO600! Many of us DO use it for business/travel, and as other posters have indicated, your battery problems are NOT normal.
    I have read all the posts and have not experienced the problems you described. From past experience with the 300, I discovered too heavy use of the "wireless" functions lead to low battery condition, but never to the point of killing the phone. I do watch the battery indicator and when it gets around 50% or so, I charge it. There are some buildings that I loose signal in and frankly, that is a concern. With the 300, I used a freeware program that monitored those situations and turned the phone off for a period of time and looked for signals at set intervals. Anyway, all of us depend on the phone and any loose of service in any manner is a situation none of us like.

The purchase of a SD card is a necessity if you want to be able to restore at any given time. I purchased a 512MB card, but that frankly is much more than I need. A 32mb card does fine for "backup only" situations. If more is needed, then by all means get what you need. The 512MB card hits around $170 (inc shipping to Honolulu, Hi) and I have moved everything possible to it. I use Backup buddy and back it up in the evening. I do not do the automatic/timed backup because the keyguard function keeps it from running. Another program you might want to look at that performs the same backup function on the pda and has excellent file handling ability is "My Workbench" available at www.toysoft.ca. My concern with it is that the icons are very close together. Drop down menus would be really handy. In addition, not all of the features (such as backup) are enabled in the non-registered form.

As a note, the old rechargable batteries liked to be run down and recharged on a routine manner. These new lithium batteries like regular feedings - aka top-offs. Overall though, I have had good battery performance with the 600 and use the PDA function about 80-100 times a day and the phone function about 20 times a day. Only once did I have to charge it and then for only 10 minutes before I was comfortable with it.

I check my mail w/Snappermail 3-4 times a day, check in w/Verichat about the same number of times. I have Snappermail set to "disconnect from the internet" after send/receive and when I exit Verichat, I also disconnect from the internet via Snappermail's disconnect feature. I have wanted to keep the internet/wireless active, however, the need to keep a happy battery has kept me from doing so, even on a day off.

Sorry for being so wordy.

Ben

---------------------

Originally posted by CyrilW

<snip good stuff about SD card>

You might also want to get an external battery pack.
    This Treo going flat thing concerns me (even though I am patiently waiting for my Tmo Treo 600 to become available) and I used a battery supply a lot with my Visorphone!

I have written to the Tale Stuff web site to ask that they make a connector for the GSM Treo 600. I have not heard back from them, yet. They even have a solar charger!

Also, I think the advice dished out about the poor reception and wireless polling is excellent! I can't wait to have these problems!

I am tired of my boring Samsung or Nokia in conjunction with the Prism that is getting a little flakey! Yeah, I skipped the Treo experience totally until now! Rant over!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast