Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Was wondering if anyone is using ACT for PALM (the latest version) on your Treo 600?? How do you like it??
  2.    #2  
    For those of you who do use ACT! I just found the following UPDATE for Act for Palm OS that is supposed to enable you to integrate the ACT database with the dialer on the 600. I don't have my 600 yet (darn it) but thought you might find this info helpful

http://itdomino.act.com/act.nsf/docid/200331810421

(If you can't get to the page, you'll have to register for the site or PM me and I'll send you a PDF document with a printout of the page)

Brian
  3. crp
    It does work as advertised, athough searches are still slow. Trying to do a name lookup on my Treo 300 was painfully slow (4300 record database probably doesn't help). It's faster on the 600, but still slower than the Palm contact application.

So what I've moved toward is using a product by Companionlink that sync's Act & Outlook on the laptop and then I only sync Outlook to my Treo.

That way, I have all of the contact history items that Act tracks, but I'm able to do lookups using the Palm Contacts app, and that is very fast for me, even with 4300 records.

www.companionlink.com
    Sprint Treo 755p, 650. Before that: Treo 600, 300, Pilot & Palm Pilot.
    Originally posted by crp
    It does work as advertised, athough searches are still slow. Trying to do a name lookup on my Treo 300 was painfully slow (4300 record database probably doesn't help). It's faster on the 600, but still slower than the Palm contact application.

So what I've moved toward is using a product by Companionlink that sync's Act & Outlook on the laptop and then I only sync Outlook to my Treo.

That way, I have all of the contact history items that Act tracks, but I'm able to do lookups using the Palm Contacts app, and that is very fast for me, even with 4300 records.

www.companionlink.com
    Same setup here and it works great!

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    The telephony feature in ACT for palm does not work with the TREO 600. The article listed here saying it does was written before the TREO 600 was shipped and referred to the Treo 300.

I love the TREO 600 but will be returning it because of the lack of the telephony feature. I talked to Act customer support yesterday and they said they don't see any changes in the near future.

If anyone has any information otherwise please email me with it. I am desperate for any information on this subject. I have about 5 days left.
    leeladisky and crp,
    I would be interested if you could share how you are using ACT! on your PC and on your TREO 600. I would like to be able to quickly dial ACT contacts on my TREO 600 and then also complete the task or appointment adding notes or a follow-up activity and of course get this sync'd back to my ACT! 6.0 database on my PC.
    Not having telephony support on the TREO is disappointing but if I follow you correctly you are saying using CompanionLink (are you using CompanionLink or CompanionLink DoubleLook?) for copying data over to Outlook and sync into Palm allows easy dialing and using the remainder of the ACT! for Palm OS integration and can accomplish both or the above? It really ticks me off that just to be able to more easily dial contacts I will need to buy Companionlink (when this should be built into ACT! for Palm OS that I already paid $$ for!).
    Thanks.
    crp,

If I understand your previous post correctly, you synch ACT over to Outlook on your laptop via the companionlink application and then you simply synch your Outlook contact information into the native Palm OS contact fields on the the Treo 600. What synchronization/conduit application do you use for this step? Do you really have ALL of the contact history items from ACT passed along though? I didn't think your notes and history items would pass along like this. What fields of Outlook do they reside in and then also, what fields on the Treo Palm OS Contacts do the notes and history end up in?

Please clarify exactly what data transfers through and where it ends up using your method. This is key to my buying a Treo for this specific main need. Anyone else with input please add!

Thanks in advance for your follow up.

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 11/16/2003 at 02:03 PM.
    Think First, ask questions later!
    The so called, "Telephony support" for Palm OS that ACT advertises as being part of their product works differently than how those of us in the Treo world would define it. This feature makes your ACT contact numbers dialable from within the ACT for Palm application but only by pulling out the stylus and tapping on the number. This functionality is simply a few years behind the times. It works identically to the old days of the Visorphone when you could just tap on any phone number and it would be a hotlink to the dialer. The ACT for Palm OS application does not support the fast lookup (via thumbboard) capability that the Treo evolved into.

I hope this helps to clarify others with this issue.

As a workaround though, the idea of synching to Outlook first before synching into the standard Treo contact application is intriguing but I remain curious just how much information you can send via this way. As I have requested in my post above, please add in any information as to how this works.

Thanks,

-THP
    I am using PamACT! also

I have version 1.01229, something like that.

I cannot find the phone icon. It is not there so I have been unable to use that feature in any way.

Called ACT! and they are somewhat helpful but they agree if it is not there....it will not be compatible with the phone. Are you guys telling me you have the phone icon?

Should I redownload and load it?

Ben
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    There is no telephony feature with ACT for palm. The link software for act for palm only links act to act and does not link the database into the general contact software. Right now I have to have two computers set up where one links with Act for Palm and one is companion link where I can get my information into the general contact information. Does anyone know how I can have the same link do both functions.
  11.    #11  
    hey everyone,

I downloaded an eval copy of compainino link and installed it on my desktop following the setup routine (had to specify some fields) and then synched my PALM and all of my ACT! data was in my PALM calendar, task list and address book. Because it is using the "treo 600" address book, everything works as advertised (phone numbers and email).

I did not install ACT for PALM! on my 600.

The way companion link "links" tasks and appointments in the PALM interface is a bit different if you want to "assign" tasks or appointments to a specific contact. But it isn't "hard".

A couple of tweeks I needed to make to my companion link setup to get it to work the way I wanted

1. I used the "user defined fields" in comapnion link to for transferring people's home address information.

2. I had to change the "alt phone" (or one of the other extra phone numbers) to "mobile phone" in order to get people's cell #s to transfer.

I have been so busy that I haven't really messed with all of the other stuff companion link can do, but it does seem to work pretty well.

<b> one other benefit</b> , because you are using the "native" calendar, contact and task items, you can take advantage of features offered by 3rd party apps like DateBook5, etc. Check out one of the "Treo 600 portal sites" or search the forum for recommended products.

I LOOOVE this because the ACT! calendar and such, was horrid -- didn't take advantage of any of the color features offered by PDAs today!

Hope this helps,
    Brian
    Had ACT for Palm OS and found I liked Agendus better, much better. They look pretty much the same, but Agendus seemed to be more intuitive.

Just my .02.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I saw in another post somewhere on the board that ACT! has issued a hotfix for telephony support on the TREO 600!!! See the downloads at ACT! - http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm#Hotfixes
    Look under Hotfixes.
    Thanks Dan,

That is the hotfix I have been waiting for.

Ben
  15. crp
    Nautilus:

Sorry for the delay. Here's what I do. I use Act! on my laptop (actually, its a Compaq Tablet) as my primary contact tracking application.

Whenever I am meeting with clients, or scheduling new meetings, Act is my primary app. That's the one the controls all the others.

I run Doublelook every week or so on the Tablet, and have it configured so that any new Act info overwrites whatever is in Outlook. Then I sync Outlook on the Tablet with the Treo.

I have Treo set up in HotSync that Outlook overwrites all on the Treo. I also have specified in Doublelook that want 5 history items to sync over. These are copied over to the Contact field in Outlook and then to the Treo.

So, when it's done, I have the updated contact history, and any phone number changes on the Treo. I use Doublelook, but you could use the plain Companionlink program. Doublelook does what Companionlink does, but Doublelook actually sync's Act & Outlook in the background while you work. Companionlink will sync the two, but you have to initiate the synch.

What I've found over time is that I rarely use the Act! for Palm app on my Treo (even though it's there). Any dialing I do on the Treo is from the native Contacts app, which has the very fast name lookup Act! lacks.

HTH,
    crp
    Sprint Treo 755p, 650. Before that: Treo 600, 300, Pilot & Palm Pilot.
    I will try this out.

-THP
    Has anyone tried the new version of Agendus (v. 8)? How would you compare it to Act For Palm? I find ACT for Palm to be very piggish on memory, not tightly integrated in Palm OS functions, and pretty unstable. This is why I am looking for an alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    I am using ACT! for the Palm with the Treo - Works great! I do have ACT! 6.0 on my desktop and also did the update 1.01 to phone function. It seems fast enough with just over 600 contacts, but they include ALMOST all of my user fields, notes and appointment.

I can also sync with the desktop and keep both DBs the same. I even set it up as a stand alone app and launch it from my calendar button.
    David;
    I put together a thread in the developers corner asking for someone to do a fix for Act for Palm. Any thoughts?
    Curt
    Last edited by curtarmy; 08/26/2004 at 08:15 AM.
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast