Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ACT! Bites--Best Software bites---This outfit has no concept of customer support/customer needs. This is the only software company that I have ever ranted about. The feeling runs deep.

john
    I am a long time user of ACT at work and home. I probably have too much invested to switch software. Been using ACT for Palm (AFP) since the Beta version. The Telephony hot fix works quite well. I never had a PDA before the TREO 600 so I don't have the historic experience / preferences. Overall ACT works quite well on the TREO. I sync 1,500 contacts with ACT 6 using no special sync software. As most users I have some suggestions for improvements but I would recommended it for most users. DON'T try to use AFP with ACT 2005 (newest version) as they are not compatible yet.
    It is my understanding that the new version of Act! is a complete rewrite and therefore not compatible with AFP. I can only hope that a rewrite of AFP is on the way.

Currently I have my entire business Database on my Treo600, about 700 customer, leads and prospects with almost all of the 15 importable fields used including date fields, $ or premium fields and multiple phone and email fields. Without it I would be firing up my laptop (while on the road) an infinite number of times each day.

I read and send numerous POP email accounts throughout the day, sms short messages to corporate, my supervisors, underwriters, customers and other agents and get IMMEADIATE feedback when I need it most. Act! and the Treo600 are together a great tool.

Maybe some emails to Best Software showing our support would be helpful?

DavidSYV
    I have been using ACT 2005 for several days and am very disappointed by the performance of the update. Even on a 2.6 Ghz computer with over 800 MB of ram it is very sluggish. There is no dialer in this version. You can buy an add on for $49 but it doesn't record the history of the call.

Anyone else using 2005 yet?
    I'm using ACT 6.0 on my Dell laptop and use ACT for Palm OS. I am synching about 300 contacts to my Treo out of my 7,000 in ACT and I can call any of them by clicking on the magnifying glass in ACT for Palm.

Someday maybe Microsoft will come out with a product competitive to ACT (Access is not a solution nor is Outlook - in my opinion) that will work seamlessly with Outlook. There's a lot of duplication between ACT and Outlook (and they share Word which has caused problems in the past) - I'd much rather use MS software when possible since most everything else I use is from them too (anyone using MS OneNote? Greeat program).
    -MagicMtnDan
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
    I'm using ACT 6.0 on my Dell laptop and use ACT for Palm OS. I am synching about 300 contacts to my Treo out of my 7,000 in ACT and I can call any of them by clicking on the magnifying glass in ACT for Palm.

Someday maybe Microsoft will come out with a product competitive to ACT (Access is not a solution nor is Outlook - in my opinion) that will work seamlessly with Outlook. There's a lot of duplication between ACT and Outlook (and they share Word which has caused problems in the past) - I'd much rather use MS software when possible since most everything else I use is from them too (anyone using MS OneNote? Greeat program).

MagicMtnDan,

Check out this link:

http://www.avidian.com/

This company has developed a powerful contact and sales management application that works right within Outlook. It adds relational database functionality to everything you already know and work with in Outlook. The application is called "Prophet 2004." I use it and it has allowed me comfortably leave ACT behind.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus Man
    MagicMtnDan,

Check out this link:

http://www.avidian.com/

This company has developed a powerful contact and sales management application that works right within Outlook. It adds relational database functionality to everything you already know and work with in Outlook. The application is called "Prophet 2004." I use it and it has allowed me comfortably leave ACT behind.

-THP
    I just looked into Profit and find it very interesting to say the least! I've been pondering the ACT! 2005 upgrade, but now you've given me more to think about. The only short coming I see is there is no link to PDA usage?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomMacD
    I just looked into Profit and find it very interesting to say the least! I've been pondering the ACT! 2005 upgrade, but now you've given me more to think about. The only short coming I see is there is no link to PDA usage?
    According to a rep I spoke with a few months ago, Avidian Technologies is developing a sales feature rich handheld synching application. In the meantime, all of your existing essential Outlook information can still link to your PDA via current various synching options available.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    I've been using Act! and ACT! for Palm for 2 years now with my Palm M515. I've been on the lookout for a device that will act as my blackberry, palm and cell phone (tired of carrying all 3 of them). The Treo 600 looks like the product for us. Glad to hear that there are some fixes with AFP and the telephone function.

I was curious to find out if you could use the e-mail address in AFP and send an e-mail directly from there or do you have to copy and then past the e-mail in the e-mail app. Anyone knows?

Thanks for the help.
    It is my understanding that the new version of Act! is a complete rewrite and therefore not compatible with AFP. I can only hope that a rewrite of AFP is on the way.

I was talking with Act! and they have told me that they are working on a new AFP to work with Act! 2005. I have bought it but since I can't use it with my Palm have not gone ahead with the install. They are saying late December, early January for the AFP 2005.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David SYV
    I am using ACT! for the Palm with the Treo - Works great! I do have ACT! 6.0 on my desktop and also did the update 1.01 to phone function. It seems fast enough with just over 600 contacts, but they include ALMOST all of my user fields, notes and appointment.

I can also sync with the desktop and keep both DBs the same. I even set it up as a stand alone app and launch it from my calendar button.
    David SYV, I just bought the 600 and loaded ACT!. Why does it not have the address in the contact screen??? This is so frustrating. Any help!
    This is good! Best Software is working on a new version of AFP to work with Act 2005 which itself doesn,t have a dialer! Can someone send some sunlight to Best Software?
    Best Software is just out for the bucks.
    How much for Act 2005? and how much for AFP?
    They could have written a fix or work around for the 5 way navigation, given us an icon for an email tie to Snapper mail, and caller ID.
    One, two, or all three of these fixes would give us a really pretty decent contact management program. But no they leave us with a cutting edge great Treo 600 and an old "tap tap" program with no ties to email, caller ID, or the great button functionality of the Treo 600.
    And then they want big bucks to upgrade our PCs to a version that doesn't have a dialer for the PC?
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12