1.    #1  
    Don't know if anyone else has experienced this:

Given the delay everyone is experiencing in getting the Treo 600 (I ordered on the 21st and my status has been "Awaiting Shipment" for two days). I thought I would warn folks against using a debit card to purchase through Handspring/PalmOne.

The reason is this: The Loyalty program customers (me included) have had to wait a long long time to get product shipped. In fact, as mentioned above, WAITING FOR SHIPMENT alone has lasted two days.

The Handspring customer support website says that the credit card will not be charged until the Treo 600 SHIPS. However, if you use a debit card, they took an AUTHORIZATION on the debit card as soon as it said WAITING FOR SHIPMENT. the authorization on a debit card takes the money out of the checking account that the debit card is linked to. So...

even though they haven't yet shipped, and haven't given an indication as to when they will ship my 10/21 order, they HAVE essentially removed money from my checking account. All because I used a debit card. Sheesh.

Uhh, this is not really an issue. Handspring has put a hold on the funds to verify they do in fact exist. Handspring has reportedly had a massive amount of credit card fraud, so they are putting a hold on debit and credit cards alike. As for awaiting shipment status, give them a call, but this is really a tempest in a teapot.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
  3.    #3  
    Not to be one to disagree, but I disagree.

Here's why. Its a cash flow issue for me. That 400+$ has been removed from my checking account causing other purchases to bounce. Granted, I could very well have done a better job managing cash in my account, but as of early this week, saw that nothing would ship until I had been paid again. For those several days, handspring had, but holding those funds, blocked me from using $400 of my $$.

Now, I have to say, this is NOT handsprings fault per say, its just that this happens if you use a debit card instead of a credit card. Its all in the way the two cards differ in how they work. Credit card doesn't get charged until the thing ships...leaving your enitre balance sitting there. Debit card has the money taken out of the account the moment it is AUTHORIZED, not charge.

That's all my warning was.
    Interesting. This has never been an issue for me. I've used my "check" card (with a VISA logo) on-line with Amazon a number of times and it has never been charged prior to shipping. (Verified through bank statements vs. on-line shipping tracking.) I've also used it with Handspring on past purchases without being charged before shipping.

I can use the card as if it were a credit card (no PIN required) OR a debit card (by punching in a PIN when in a store checkout).

Question: Did you use a "debit" card or a "check" card? There is a distinct difference. The debit card requires a PIN for ANY purchase and does not have a major credit card logo on it. A check card can be used interchangably as a debit or credit card (with the "credit" coming directly from your checking account).

Which way was it for you?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by Serbocro
    Not to be one to disagree, but I disagree.

Here's why. Its a cash flow issue for me. That 400+$ has been removed from my checking account causing other purchases to bounce. Granted, I could very well have done a better job managing cash in my account, but as of early this week, saw that nothing would ship until I had been paid again. For those several days, handspring had, but holding those funds, blocked me from using $400 of my $$.

Now, I have to say, this is NOT handsprings fault per say, its just that this happens if you use a debit card instead of a credit card. Its all in the way the two cards differ in how they work. Credit card doesn't get charged until the thing ships...leaving your enitre balance sitting there. Debit card has the money taken out of the account the moment it is AUTHORIZED, not charge.

That's all my warning was.
    It sounds like you were using your card as a check or credit-debit card (essentially, your card has a credit card logo on it). If that's true, then your card was treated like any other credit card.

Bottom line: If you're going to use your debit card as a credit line expect anything over $100 to get an instant hold put on the funds. That is how all purchases operate. Welcome to the world of credit.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net