1. -c-
    I bought a USB Delorme Earthmate with an extra Serial/Power connector. I also have a Serial Hotsync cable for the treo and a null-modem gender changer.

Here is what I know about my hardware:

1) The Hotsync works with Treo + Laptop.

2) The Serial Cable from the GPS alone feeds NMEA data to the laptop - checked with Hyperterminal at 4,800 bps.

3) The null-modem adapter works together with GPS-Serial + a PocketPC Serial cable and tracking works with XMap Handheld

Here is what doesn't work:

I have downloaded Maopolis 5.19 and wanted to see how it works with my treo 300, however I keep getting the message "GPS unit could not be started". Any Idea?

Does anyone know if there is a specific version of Mapopolis for the Treo that I should download? I am not a subscriber of Mapopolis yet but if I were to get this to work, I would consider switching to my Treo for navigation and getting rid of the PocketPC.

Thank you for your help!
    It will not work this way.
    The Treo serial sync cable is for connecting to a PC for serial hotsync only. It cannot be used to connect to other serial devices (e.g. GPS) by connecting a null modem adapter the same way as for many other PDAs.

A simple explanation:
    The serial sync cable has active components and require power to work. And the power comes from the PC via the com port.
    When you connect the cable to other devices other than a PC, no power goes into the sync cable so it does not work.

Originally posted by -c-
    I bought a USB Delorme Earthmate with an extra Serial/Power connector. I also have a Serial Hotsync cable for the treo and a null-modem gender changer.

Here is what I know about my hardware:

1) The Hotsync works with Treo + Laptop.

2) The Serial Cable from the GPS alone feeds NMEA data to the laptop - checked with Hyperterminal at 4,800 bps.

3) The null-modem adapter works together with GPS-Serial + a PocketPC Serial cable and tracking works with XMap Handheld

Here is what doesn't work:

I have downloaded Maopolis 5.19 and wanted to see how it works with my treo 300, however I keep getting the message "GPS unit could not be started". Any Idea?

Does anyone know if there is a specific version of Mapopolis for the Treo that I should download? I am not a subscriber of Mapopolis yet but if I were to get this to work, I would consider switching to my Treo for navigation and getting rid of the PocketPC.

Thank you for your help!
    http://pc-mobile.net
  3. -c-
    So, my GPS needs power too. It gets it from the serial/power cable. Is there a way of feeding the Treo's hotsync cable with part of that power?

Also, the hotsync has a "dongle" for power, so it would get power indeed. What is missing then?

Thank you and sorry if I am out of track on something... Just bought both the serial hotsync and the serial cable for my delorme to work with the Treo and would be sad if I had to get rid of them because it doesn't.

Originally posted by Pc-Mobile
    It will not work this way.
    The Treo serial sync cable is for connecting to a PC for serial hotsync only. It cannot be used to connect to other serial devices (e.g. GPS) by connecting a null modem adapter the same way as for many other PDAs.

A simple explanation:
    The serial sync cable has active components and require power to work. And the power comes from the PC via the com port.
    When you connect the cable to other devices other than a PC, no power goes into the sync cable so it does not work.

I am afraid it is not that simple.
    What you thought may or may not work.
    I have not done it myself so cannot tell you.
    If you were told that it would work then you had been misled.

It is purely hardware and it has nothing to do with software.
    http://pc-mobile.net
  5. -c-
    Just wanted to share how I made it to work.

I replaced Mapopolis version 5.19 with version 5.16 that I have obtained from their support. It's called treo.prc and made to handle some issues with the treo serial that which I am not aware of (perhaps there aren't beside what follows).

Like Pc-mobile correctly said, the Treo Serial port seems not to provide the right voltage levels when it is not connected to a computer or other serial device that rises the DTR line (And I believe also CTS).

I have found a little patch for that. Use a 9V (or 12V) battery with an 470 ohm (or higher) resistor that provides current to pin 4 (RTS) and 8 (CTS) of the serial Hotsync connected to the Treo. That way the Treo behaves as if it was connected to a PC and provides the right voltage levels on the Tx and Rx data pin (pin 2 and 3 connected to pin 3 and 2 of the GPS in a null-modem fashion) with respect to the ground (pin 5 which is common to the 9V source and the 2 Serial cables).

To make it short, the Treo with Mapopolis took 1-2 seconds to detect the Delorme Earthmate GPS (it is the USB version but using the Delorme Serial/Power optional cable - about $35). After a few more seconds the treo centered the map at my current location and was receiving GPS signal just fine.

Even ptelnet, when listening to the "powered" cable would report GPS messages while it wouldn't do so without the power patch.

Disclaimer:

Take the specifics as an attempt to explain what I have done. I haven't fully checked all I have written (pin numbers, voltages etc...) and I took part of it from pages on the web of unknown reliability. Do it at your own risk.
    The only certain thing in all I wrote is that my Treo didn't blow-up and the GPS was tracking my position just fine. If you need more details or a reference email me and I'll provide you with all I found.

PS: Thanks Pc-Mobile for your help/hint on what was wrong with my initial setup.
    So, I am trying to accomplish a similar feat with my Treo 600. Any technical expertise you guys can provide would be great!

I was gonna use Street Atlas 2004 Handheld, should I move to Mapopolis?
    Wow, I would like to try this for my 600 as well, but I'm not too comfortable with having to wire up a 9-volt to make it work...did anyone ever come up with another solution? Thanks.