Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    first off, love my T600...saw someone's signature that alluded to the T300 looking like a garage door opener, and after carrying around the 600 for about 2 weeks now, I can definitely concur.

Anyway, my question to the public here is does the resolution on this camera suck as bad as I think it does? I take pictures with it, and haven't seen pixelation like this since Atari. Took a picture of my wife to use with her caller ID and I can barely make out her face.

Somebody else let me know what you think about the camera...it wasn't the top reason I bought the T600, but it would still be nice to get the full effect out of this phone.

S
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    It's really not the camera...it's the resolution of the Treo screen. Pics look "not so great" on 160x160. Transfer them over to your PC, and I bet they look much better.
    yeah, pictures taken with the camera don't look very good at all on the screen..but in actuality, can be pretty good - under the right conditions - on your pc.

The camera needs a lot of light, and low contrast, in order to produce good results.

Check out my photoblog - all pictures taken with the 600.
    Picture quality and resolution are separate issues, really. 640x480 pictures taken on a good camera can look excellent, as long as you don't try to enlarge the image beyond its native resolution.

If a digital camera takes poor-quality pictures, it's due to some combination of the lens, sensor, and firmware, and not the resolution.
    Originally posted by brio59
    Picture quality and resolution are separate issues, really. 640x480 pictures taken on a good camera can look excellent, as long as you don't try to enlarge the image beyond its native resolution.

If a digital camera takes poor-quality pictures, it's due to some combination of the lens, sensor, and firmware, and not the resolution.
    Agreed. There is a lot of misunderstanding due to the marketing companies do. Higher resolution means "bigger picture" not "better picture".
  6.    #6  
    thank you all for your insight. Even when I open up the picture on my PC it still sucks, but maybe I'll play around with it a bit to see if I can enhance the image on my phone.

no need to post further replies here, at least for my edification.
    Originally posted by brio59

Woo hoo! Another person that get's it. I don't know how many posts I wasted trying to explain this weeks ago.

The bottom line for the Treo 600 is that pictures are usually pretty bad but can be decent given the right lighting. Additionally, resolution is not sharp at 640x480, so you'll actually have sharper pictures if you resize your 640x480 photos to something smaller.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  8. purpleX
    I saw the picture comparison between p900, XDAII and treo 600. treo600 is the worst, it has no definition whatsoever.

XDA camera can record video with voice btw.
    Here's my photoblog. All taken with the T600. Some in good light, some in poor light, and some in really bad light. Should give you a clue as to the capability of the camera.

Alpha Geek's Real Time Ugly
    How does this one look?

Typical?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originally posted by purpleX
    I saw the picture comparison between p900, XDAII and treo 600. treo600 is the worst, it has no definition whatsoever.

XDA camera can record video with voice btw.
    I'm not sure there's a clear winner in this bunch. They're all pretty bad, but the Treo 600 holds its own. The Nokia 3650's camera is noticeably better than all of these.

Scott
  12. purpleX
    No, it's very bad, treo600 camera has no definition whatsoever on any light condition except outdoor daylight. Everything is blurry.

se the ppcsg.com comparison yourself.
    Comparisons should only be made on two phones taking the same picture. (i.e. holding both device at same time and snapping from same spot) don't give us these bullsh*t propaganda comparisons.
  14. purpleX
    you haven't look at the picture have you?

(why do you think the guy put the plastic credit card into each image? Hey maybe they are fake photoshop pictures. You know, from SonyEricsson and Microsoft propaganda department.)
    Originally posted by purpleX
    you haven't look at the picture have you?
    Probably because you didn't supply I decent link. I went to the home page, couldn't find anything, and didn't feel like wasting any more of my time trying to find it. After this latest post of yours I went back, searched the forums, and found it. Here's the thread with comparison shots:
    http://www.ppcsg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25500

My thoughts:
    1) They're all bad. Really bad. Just in different ways. The Nokia 3650's camera blows them all away.
    2) All of these cameras (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $use$ $fixed$ $focus$ $lenses$. $These$ $are$ $fairly$ $close$ $shots$ $which$ $may$ $not$ $be$ $within$ $the$ $optimal$ $focal$ $range$ $of$ $the$ $Treo$ $600$. $I$'$d$ $like$ $to$ $see$ $some$ $comparisons$ $taken$ $outside$ $of$ $something$ $slightly$ $farther$ $away$.

Scott
    I havent yet even snapped a picture with my 600, everything is so bad that i dont even snapp the pictures that I am trying to take. What I did was take some pictures for my picture caller ID with a firends palm pilot that has a very good resolution camera then I beamed it to my treo, it wasnt as good on the screen because of the treos low resolution screen, but it was so much better and clearer than if I wouldve done it with the treo camera.
    Well, I just became a believer! The phone's screen resolution can make the pics look terrible, but you know what? When you send them and view them on a PC, they look downright GOOD! I was shocked at the difference.

For those that look at the phone and say, "these pics suck!", try and mail one to a PC and then give us your opinion. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised!

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Here's an ourdoors comparison shot.
    Treo 600
    http://www.houseofthud.com/images/northfire-phone.jpg
    Not too bad.. but this'll ruin the illusion.
    Coolpix 990
    http://www.houseofthud.com/images/northfire2.jpg

However, as stated above the image looks truly dreadful on the Treo's screen. I think it *could* actually be rendered better but isn't. If I judged whether to keep a shot or not based on what it looked like on the screen, I'd throw everything away. I was pleasantly surprised by what I got above.

The other big factor with using this camera is that the CMOS sensor has a very low dynamic range. If the scene has light areas and dark areas, try to keep it centered somewhere in between, otherwise you'll blow out the lights or blacken the darker areas. How you frame the shot will have a lot to do with how good it looks. If I'd aimed the above shot 10 degrees higher, the ground would have been black. 10 degrees lower, the clouds and sky totally white.

Indoors, in low and contrastly light is where this camera really suffers. Focus at the edges of the frame is also pretty bad, and there's noticeable vinetting at the corners in all shots.
    Treo 600 indoors natural light through window
    http://www.houseofthud.com/images/sting-phone.jpg
    Coolpix 990 indoors halogen lights
    http://www.houseofthud.com/rc/sting1.jpg

Don't buy this phone just for its camera. In fact, don't buy *any* phone just for its camera. Even the cheapest CCD digital camera will blow them all away.

ian
    Dejavu!
    Wasn't ALL of this discussed numerous times already.
    Originally posted by stephman
    Dejavu!
    Wasn't ALL of this discussed numerous times already.
    Welcome to the Treo 600 forums!

Why don't we start another thread about which is the best email program for the Treo....that's only been asked what, twice so far today?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast