Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. #21  
    So what!!!!!! If you were so concerned about the waste of time to, you shouldn't have posted your criticism!

    Dejavu! Wasn't ALL of this discussed numerous times already.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
  2. #22  
    Since the Treo600 picture sofware is used to create pictures, along with the lens, I wonder something. Could someone come up with better software to make the existing lens take better pictures on the Treo600?
  3. #23  
    Originally posted by mo-bile


    Welcome to the Treo 600 forums!

    Why don't we start another thread about which is the best email program for the Treo....that's only been asked what, twice so far today?
    Lol.

    To the thread starter, I apologize for thread crapping.
    It's just that lately, the server for the forums seems to be responding very slow. So it's been agrivating trying to read up on the latest post.
    I'm a GSM user, so the wait for the Treo 600 GSM has me acting a bit nutty.
    Plus in my opinion, the search feature for the forums seems a bit lacking. I've been to other forums where the search function has more features which allows the user to pinpoint what they're looking for allot easier...MODS, can the search function be updated here?

    So to the thread starter and everyone else who has posted in this thread, my apologies for snapping.
  4. #24  
    Originally posted by csherman
    So what!!!!!! If you were so concerned about the waste of time to, you shouldn't have posted your criticism!

    Dejavu! Wasn't ALL of this discussed numerous times already.
    I see no criticism in what I posted. I see nothing in my post which stated that I was concerned about the waste of time to myself.
  5. #25  
    Originally posted by Daemon
    Here's an ourdoors comparison shot.
    Treo 600
    http://www.houseofthud.com/images/northfire-phone.jpg
    Not too bad.. but this'll ruin the illusion.
    Coolpix 990
    http://www.houseofthud.com/images/northfire2.jpg
    Interesting. Two related comments. First, the coolpix photo is 73 kB whereas the treo photo is around 30k. Second, much of the detail in this photo, such as the trees and edges of the buildings, is high frequency and contains sharp changes from pixel to pixel. Such information will be filtered out by the jpeg encoder if the compression setting is too aggressive.

    The treo SDK contains an API for adjusting the compression ratio of the JPEG compressor. I wonder how your picture would have looked with a lower compression factor (ie better quality).

    In other words, it would be neat to tune the compression factor of the treo such that this same picture ends up around 73 kB, and then compare with the coolpix. I think the coolpix would still win, but the results would still be interesting. As a developer, I would like to know if the compression ratio is the primary reason for the discrepancy, or if it is the camera itself.

    PS: with the software that ships with the treo, there is no way for you to test this.

    H
  6. #26  
    You're right -- I stand corrected. You just took time out of your day to be critical of others. My mistake.

    Originally posted by stephman


    I see no criticism in what I posted. I see nothing in my post which stated that I was concerned about the waste of time to myself.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
  7. #27  
    What's sad about the criticism is the fact that it doesn't matter how good they are, people will complain until they match my old Canon G1 3 megapixel camera with similar optics.

    The camera does good in good lighting and sucks bad in low-lighting or lighting behind the subject. Arguing about one crappy phone's camera over another is for people who have no experience using digital cameras.

    Now arguing that it needs a flash is worthy. This would be nice as a sd card.

    ********
    I noticed a work-around for low-light conditions where you get blue dots. You have the phone in camera mode, switch to "pics file mode" and then back to camera mode. This readjusts the brightness/contrast of the optic and before it goes too high, take the picture. It's not good, but it's a lot better then having a bunch of blue dots. You still need some lighting to get this to work.
    ********

    bigH's,
    I would agree with you. I think it could be improved in a lot of ways. One's probably compression, but I had several pics from my T600 that were 70KB. His T600 pic just had very little info around the edges. That makes the file much smaller. I would like to see settings for adjustments to handle how much the camera tries to take in light (brightness/contrast) before the picture is taken. There's no editor that'll be able to enhance a pic if it's got blue dots or is blurry or something.
    Last edited by peyote; 11/04/2003 at 02:22 PM.
  8. #28  
    Originally posted by Daemon

    Don't buy this phone just for its camera. In fact, don't buy *any* phone just for its camera. Even the cheapest CCD digital camera will blow them all away.

    ian
    Excellent point! Now ... make a phone call or check the web or your email with your Coolpix 990. Ohhhhh ... tradeoffs do abound!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  9. #29  
    Notice how the 600 photo was taken later in the day and in lower light conditions. I would like to see a comparison photo taken withen minutes of each other.

    Look at the clouds and notice the patterns. You can tell this is taken at different times of the day.
  10. #30  
    A picture taken by the SonyEricsson T616 in low lighting
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have the world in my Palm
  11. #31  
    ( doh! forgot to attach picture. can't attach during an edit. can't delete the post :-( )
    Last edited by thppfft; 11/16/2003 at 02:33 AM.
    I have the world in my Palm
  12. #32  
    (take 2)
    Same picture with Treo600
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have the world in my Palm
  13. #33  
    Originally posted by Daemon
    Here's an ourdoors comparison shot.
    Treo 600
    http://www.houseofthud.com/images/northfire-phone.jpg
    Not too bad.. but this'll ruin the illusion.
    Coolpix 990
    http://www.houseofthud.com/images/northfire2.jpg

    The Treo 600 photo absolutely KILLS the Nikon's. But then again, I prefer Impressionism over Realism...

    Handspring probably forgot to include the menu to switch the camera's digital effects from "Impressionism" to "Normal". A software patch should fix everything.
  14. #34  
    Originally posted by The Zen of Palm
    The Treo 600 photo absolutely KILLS the Nikon's. But then again, I prefer Impressionism over Realism...
    It's funny you should say that. I was actually thinking a while back after seeing some of the Treo 600 photos that the pictures had an almost "oil painting" look to them. If used creatively to accentuate that, you could probably take some interesting photos with it.

    Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  15. #35  
    Originally posted by Scott R
    It's funny you should say that. I was actually thinking a while back after seeing some of the Treo 600 photos that the pictures had an almost "oil painting" look to them. If used creatively to accentuate that, you could probably take some interesting photos with it.

    Scott

    "It's not a bug - it's a feature!"

    Seriously though, if you're going to bother putting a camera on a phone, at least make it take half-decent pictures. Emailing friends blurry, smudged photos takes the "coolness" out of the whole convergence thing. The Monet-Cam is REALLY bad. They could have probably spent an extra $5 and put in a better sensor (I assume it's a CMOS unit).
  16. #36  
    We probably don't want to open up this can of worms again, but before someone jumps in with the "If you want a good camera, buy a 3MP digital camera," I'm assuming that The Zen of Palm is of the same mindset as me and that we aren't expecting or asking for high-end digital camera quality, just quality as good as the best cameraphones. If someone here has access to both a Treo 600 and Nokia 3650, I'd love to see some shots comparing the same scenes. I've seen a lot of 3650 photos on the web and my impression is that it's one of the better cameras out there (though still far from stellar), and I'm pretty sure it was out for a good 9 months before the Treo 600 came out.

    Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  17. #37  
    Originally posted by Scott R
    We probably don't want to open up this can of worms again, but before someone jumps in with the "If you want a good camera, buy a 3MP digital camera," I'm assuming that The Zen of Palm is of the same mindset as me and that we aren't expecting or asking for high-end digital camera quality, just quality as good as the best cameraphones. If someone here has access to both a Treo 600 and Nokia 3650, I'd love to see some shots comparing the same scenes. I've seen a lot of 3650 photos on the web and my impression is that it's one of the better cameras out there (though still far from stellar), and I'm pretty sure it was out for a good 9 months before the Treo 600 came out.

    Scott
    Exactly. I've also used a Sony Ericsson T610 and even it takes better pictures - but they're half the size of the Treo 600's. A 0.3 MP camera can easily take photos that look decent on the web or in emails. No one's expecting a smartphone to have a 6 MP monster that can take almost film-quality, printable photos.
  18. #38  
    For what it's meant to do.

    Was at the Palm Beach Wiffle Ball World Series (I was an ump) and thought you might like a few photos.

    Opening ceremonies ... Dave O'Brien with the mike and Gary Carter in the maroon shirt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  19. #39  
    2 minor league mascots ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  20. #40  
    Billy the Marlin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions