Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    Perhaps it is just bad luck, but I got a similar message from TWO different HS CSRs today regarding the timing of the GSM rollout.

    They both said two or three weeks. When I asked if he were reading from the same script that they've had for "two or three weeks", they both said NO.

    They said they got new memos today and were told that the stuff is being delayed because they haven't "finalized their contracts" with T-Mobile.

    They said it is NOT their fault - the phones are already boxed and ready to go with only labeling needed for addresses. And they said, theoretically, that a fax can come in within a short time frame and things can start selling immediately.

    But the first guy said to be realistic, don't look for anything before at least the second week of November.

    THe second guy said that time frame sounded reasonable.

    Funny. Sounds like we get closer and closer to the time frame HumP's friend was talking about and which we all simply thought was impossible to believe.
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by zipmitz
    Perhaps it is just bad luck, but I got a similar message from TWO different HS CSRs today regarding the timing of the GSM rollout.

    They both said two or three weeks. When I asked if he were reading from the same script that they've had for "two or three weeks", they both said NO.

    They said they got new memos today and were told that the stuff is being delayed because they haven't "finalized their contracts" with T-Mobile.

    They said it is NOT their fault - the phones are already boxed and ready to go with only labeling needed for addresses. And they said, theoretically, that a fax can come in within a short time frame and things can start selling immediately.

    But the first guy said to be realistic, don't look for anything before at least the second week of November.

    THe second guy said that time frame sounded reasonable.

    Funny. Sounds like we get closer and closer to the time frame HumP's friend was talking about and which we all simply thought was impossible to believe.
    We shall see if WeeBit's contact comes through on the unlocked version, my first will definitely be the first to be released.
  3. #3  
    At this point I have a hard time believing we will get GSM modles before 2004. Honestly, they have no clue what is going on, and fail to provide any reliable information.

    I was waiting to get replacements on my 3 Treo 270 because I was just going to upgrade(these things are crap, and I have replaced the all already once). Now Handspring gets to buy me 3 new 270's.
  4. #4  
    Just spoke to my "contact" again regarding TMO and the T600. He told me that TMO did start to support the T600 Monday (i assume for cingular customers to roam) and he told me again that they would not be releasing the phone until either Nov 21 *Friday or Nov 24 *Monday.

    That is the latest from TMO
  5. #5  
    My money is burning a hole in my pocket....hurry, Handspring, before I go elsewhere and buy an MPX200 or I-Mate or even start my Christmas shopping early.

    They're going to lose customers the closer it gets to the holiday season...
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by HumP
    Just spoke to my "contact" again regarding TMO and the T600. He told me that TMO did start to support the T600 Monday (i assume for cingular customers to roam) and he told me again that they would not be releasing the phone until either Nov 21 *Friday or Nov 24 *Monday.

    That is the latest from TMO
    I think that people are extremely fast and loose regarding the use of the word "support".

    Reality - any unlocked GSM phone with a TMo sim will work on the system.
  7. #7  
    CSRs, especially TMO CSRs, don't know anything. Wait for more reliable information.
  8. #8  
    WHAT YOU MEAN

    We HAVE reliable information.


    DIDNT THEY SAY A FEW WEEKS!!! So if they deliever withen a year that would be weeks right? New Treo 600 in the fall... OF 2004!

    lol
  9. #9  
    at least they have the Treo 600
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by zipmitz


    I think that people are extremely fast and loose regarding the use of the word "support".

    Reality - any unlocked GSM phone with a TMo sim will work on the system.
    T-Mobile knows that any unlocked GSM phone with a 1900MHz radio will work on their network. When T-Mobile says "support" they mean that their own customer service reps will help troubleshoot any issues a T-Mobile customer calls in about. I can verify that the customer service reps now have a full troubleshooting screen they can go through if you call them about the Treo 600. If you call in about a Phillips GSM phone, they will say they can't help you with any harware issues, only your service.
  11. jhetzel's Avatar
    Posts
    278 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    #11  
    If anyone wants to hedge their bets against a prolonged wait, they can always buy the unlocked phone which is presumed to ship next week per Ingram. The price is higher, but once Handspring starts the promotion for T-Mobile or Cingular you can pick another one up for $399.00 and then sell it on e-Bay for what you bought the original one for. I beleive there is more of a premium price (compared to the Sprint T600) for GSM phones since they can be used in 80% of the world.

    Two places that list the unlocked phones are:

    Dream Pages

    Bottom Line Telecommunications
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

    Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by zipmitz
    Perhaps it is just bad luck, but I got a similar message from TWO different HS CSRs today regarding the timing of the GSM rollout.

    They both said two or three weeks. When I asked if he were reading from the same script that they've had for "two or three weeks", they both said NO.

    They said they got new memos today and were told that the stuff is being delayed because they haven't "finalized their contracts" with T-Mobile.

    They said it is NOT their fault - the phones are already boxed and ready to go with only labeling needed for addresses. And they said, theoretically, that a fax can come in within a short time frame and things can start selling immediately.

    But the first guy said to be realistic, don't look for anything before at least the second week of November.

    THe second guy said that time frame sounded reasonable.

    Funny. Sounds like we get closer and closer to the time frame HumP's friend was talking about and which we all simply thought was impossible to believe.
    Tell me again what is "new?" Sounds like the same old BS to me. If they had done this to the CDMA guys, it would have been a windfall for the Kyocera folks. The only competition for the 600gsm is the 270 and I already have that.
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by JHETZEL
    If anyone wants to hedge their bets against a prolonged wait, they can always buy the unlocked phone which is presumed to ship next week per Ingram. The price is higher, but once Handspring starts the promotion for T-Mobile or Cingular you can pick another one up for $399.00 and then sell it on e-Bay for what you bought the original one for. I beleive there is more of a premium price (compared to the Sprint T600) for GSM phones since they can be used in 80% of the world.

    Two places that list the unlocked phones are:

    Dream Pages

    Bottom Line Telecommunications
    "Presumed?" What does that mean? You presume? They presume? HS presumes? I will admit that since their dates went from 10/14 to 11/30 to 11/03, they have been stable. Do you suppose they have a date from HS? Do you suppose HS is telling them the truth? Isn't it a lot easier to believe that HS is leading them on too?

    I do not want a locked phone in any case. On just the breath of a suspicion that T-Mobile has any responsibility for this, I do not want one locked to them.

    I have said over and over, I will order from anyone who will take an order and commit a price and a date. So far HS has made absolutely certain that there was no one able to do that.
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by RMitch


    T-Mobile knows that any unlocked GSM phone with a 1900MHz radio will work on their network. When T-Mobile says "support" they mean that their own customer service reps will help troubleshoot any issues a T-Mobile customer calls in about. I can verify that the customer service reps now have a full troubleshooting screen they can go through if you call them about the Treo 600. If you call in about a Phillips GSM phone, they will say they can't help you with any harware issues, only your service.
    Based upon the introduction of the 270, one can fairly conclude that what T-Mobile means is that Blazer will have a preference for a site and proxy controlled by T-Mobile.
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by whmurray


    Based upon the introduction of the 270, one can fairly conclude that what T-Mobile means is that Blazer will have a preference for a site and proxy controlled by T-Mobile.
    F that! I don't want a leash just long enough to let me sniff at the fence around the yard!...I want to ROAM!
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by JHETZEL
    If anyone wants to hedge their bets against a prolonged wait, they can always buy the unlocked phone which is presumed to ship next week per Ingram.

    Bottom Line Telecommunications
    This is what BLT says on their web site:

    "WE DO NOT HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL DELIVERY INFORMATION ON THIS ITEM AT THIS TIME. PLEASE REFER TO THE ESTIMATED SHIP DATES (ETA'S) SHOWN BELOW FOR ANY AVAILABLE DELIVERY INFORMATION." Emphasis theirs. What is "shown below" is updated in real time. As of the moment it says:

    This is the current real-time availability of Item #BC32287 as of Thursday, October 30, 2003 8:15:40 PM Eastern Time.

    Warehouse In Stock Incoming ETA
    California, Southern -382 365 11-03-2003
    Tennessee -80 100 11-03-2003
    Illinois -77 100 11-03-2003
    Pennsylvania -182 220 11-03-2003
  17. #17  
    Which means they may start shipping on November 5, which means in a few weeks, which means by the end of October, which means by the third week of November, or maybe by the holidays. Did I get that right, HS?
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by elysian9
    Which means they may start shipping on November 5, which means in a few weeks, which means by the end of October, which means by the third week of November, or maybe by the holidays. Did I get that right, HS?
    You are really close, but no cigar.
  19. #19  
    I have been asked to pass along the message that Handspring's support lines are NOT rumor confirmation lines, so please do not use them as such. I don't know when it will be released myself, but all I can say is be patient.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by miradu
    I have been asked to pass along the message that Handspring's support lines are NOT rumor confirmation lines, so please do not use them as such. I don't know when it will be released myself, but all I can say is be patient.
    LOL! So they actually complained about too many treocentral folks nagging the CS reps! That's funny!
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions