Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the first versions were great... but that one SUCKS

its soooo annoying to have a falsh screen that you need to click on just to get to contacts

thanks... but that one is terrible
    I found a freeware utility called AliasLauncher at http://member.nifty.ne.jp/mmaeda/e/palmos.html that lets you create an icon for the Contacts app. Even better, it's the standard Contacts icon and the standard Contacts name.

It lets you create icons for all .prc files on your Palm, plus icons that go straight to all the entries of the Preferences list (quite handy if you often make changes to the network for example).
    I realized that with AliasLauncher the Contacts app doesn't appear in the list of apps to which you can assign buttons. So I took another stab at it and found a better workaround. A little techy, but seems to do the job. Note that I used ZLauncher and SnapperMail, but other file managers should work as well.

1. Open the File Manager of ZLauncher and select the Address Book app.

2. Tap & Hold and select Send from the popup list (I'm assuming that you could Beam to a PC, beam back to the Treo, and then go to action

3. Select SnapperMail and click OK.

4. SnapperMail opens a new message with the attachment. Tap & hold the attachment and select Install from the popup list.

5. If it asks you if you want to replace the current application, say Yes.

6. Cancel the message in Snappermail (you can Discard)

7. Open the File Manager again. You will now see two Address Books: one in the ROM (with the little icon), and one that is not in the ROM. That's the one you want to edit.

8. Select the new Address Book, tap & hold, and select Info from the popup list.

9. Select the Attrs field.

10. On the Database Attributes screen, uncheck Copy Protection and Hidden, and check Backup (the latter should come useful if you ever have to do a hard reset).

11. Tap Done, and back on the Database Information screen tap Save (don't forget to do this!). And yes, you are sure you want to save the changes.

12. Click OK to leave the File Manager.

13. In ZLauncher, select Options/Update All Shortcuts, and then Options/Refresh Apps.

That's it. You have an icon in your app launcher, and the Contacts app will appear in all application lists, including the one for assigning buttons.

And you don't have to worry about the fact that you have two Address Book prc's on your Treo now. They're both pointing to the same databases so it can't go wrong.
    Originally posted by Cyril
    Here's one with an icon
    Could you repost the version with an icon,,, without the splash screen?
    Without splash screen
    Attached Files Attached Files
    And here's the address_book.prc from the ROM, obtained by the procedure described above. Install it and you will have a second address_book.prc but now in your RAM, with the standard Contacts icon in the application launcher and you can assign a button to it.

address_book.prc
    Yes,nice MOL, but it's a bit of a waste of 90kb!

If you guys want a standard icon I'll drum one up next week.
    Yes,nice MOL, but it's a bit of a waste of 90kb!

If you guys want a standard icon I'll drum one up next week.
    I totally agree. But I figured I would post it anyway for those who aren't concerned about the waste of space.

How about the direct access to the Favorites? That would be the real killer shortcut for me.
    Without splash screen
    Thanks so much!
    Without splash screen
    Very nice! Thanks for this nice solution!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Mol
    And here's the address_book.prc from the ROM, obtained by the procedure described above. Install it and you will have a second address_book.prc but now in your RAM, with the standard Contacts icon in the application launcher and you can assign a button to it.

address_book.prc

EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY !!!

I clicked on address_book.prc and hot synced. Now when I press the Phone Icon and I press down for Contacts it says The application cannot be launched because of a system error.

HELP ! HELP ! HELP !

I would like to get rid of what I did. Please tell me how!!!
    There was no new program in unfiled.

Help!!!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    HotSync operation started 11/19/03 02:29:40
    - Install failed: C:\Program Files\Handspring\Treo60G\Install\Address_Book[1].PRC
    Install synchronization failed
    Protocol Error: Read-only. (4009)

Was my last message in Hotsync
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Help !!! My address book still shows in the computer. My email is mgauss@netrox.net

Help!!! I wanna undo what I did! I want my contacts back in my Treo 600!!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    With Teal Mover I see two Address Book files in RAM

One has 113K the other one 0K

Maybe I should erase one with TealMover?
    Originally posted by mgauss
    HotSync operation started 11/19/03 02:29:40
    - Install failed: C:\Program Files\Handspring\Treo60G\Install\Address_Book[1].PRC
    Protocol Error: Read-only. (4009)

Was my last message in Hotsync
    It's an Internet Explorer thing. You probably clicked the link and opened the prc and it went straight into the Palm Install Tool with the wrong name: note the [1] in the address book file name.

To fix it:

* Right-click the link and use Save Target As to put the pile on your disk
    * Now the prc will be saved with the correct name and you can install it from your disk
    *HotSynch and you should be in business
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    No, still says The application cannot be launched because of a system error.

HotSync operation started 11/19/03 14:14:53
    - Already exists: C:\Program Files\Handspring\Treo60G\Install\Address_Book.PRC
    Protocol Error: File already exists. (400B)
    OK Date Book

Help, MOL!

TealMover shows me 2 Address Book files, the first with 113K and the second with 0...should I delete the second?

Feel free MOL to write me directly at mgauss@netrox.net

Thank you, George
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    What do you think of this MOL

well, in any case, to clear your Install directory, go to
    C:\Program Files\Handspring\<YOUR_TREO_NAME>\Install and delete everything in there (those are the program that would be installed during the next HotSync

Also, you may want to delete this prc from your Backup folder, if it's in it too (C:\Program Files\Handspring\<YOUR_TREO_NAME>\Backup)

Good Luck

Albert Einstein
    Personally, I think the fastest way to get to your contacts is the default method -- hit the phone button then arrow down (2 clicks). To enter the contacts app through the app launcher, you have to page to the right category, then arrow down to the icon and launch the app (way more button presses). Am I missing something
    go.digital
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    OK I am OK now.

I did a hard reset.

All is OK now and I even have Contacts working on a hot key.

Sorry about all the panicked posts.

mgauss
    Last edited by mgauss; 11/20/2003 at 01:05 AM.
    but what about an icon with a transparent background?

because now, when i change the color theme (from pref->general->colors), i can see the 'ugly' white background of the contact icon, whereas all other icons have the same background color of the app launcher background.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast