1.    #1  
    I can't understand why, some features were removed from the software for the 600. I know these have been talked about, but here's a few that really annoy me.

1) Especially this. When you browse to a .jpg file on the web, blazer wants to download it and save it into your pictures application. This takes you out of your browser. For instance, I like to go directly to certain .jpg file locations on the web, such as live web cam pics. The old blazer would display these images. Now you have to "download" them to view them. You are prompted if you want to download, but if you say "No", you don't get anything. This should be fixed so that you can see the image in the browser, if you say "No", you don't want to download the image.

2) Why on earth did they take out the Snooze options in datebook/calendar??? It is now fixed to a 5 minunte snooze time? We used to be able to specify a snooze time! I'm surely going to miss some meetings now since I don't want to be snoozed every 5 mins and will instead, say "OK" to my reminders and then probably forget them 20 mins later.

3) Why did they take out the "disconnect" option in Blazer?? I like to disconnect because I believe that the live data connection contributed to my RBOD battery drain problem on the 300 when I was out of a service area. I've seen the threads on this, but I'd really like to be able to turn it off.

4) Not crazy about the new ring tones. I liked the older selection for their good old, loud ones.

5) Hardware wise, the LED is very weak and hard to see from the top. Wish they integrated a flashing color LED that worked with the calendar or voice mail waiting functions.

On the positive side, there are a lot of nice features added.

For one, I really like that you're returned to your place in the Contacts list, when you hang up a call that you dialed from the Contacts list. I also like that you can set the volume levels independently for the different types of alarms.

Who should we write to in order to ask Handspring to put some of these features back in? I'll hunt around the HS site.
    Originally posted by mharpen

2) Why on earth did they take out the Snooze options in datebook/calendar??? It is now fixed to a 5 minunte snooze time? We used to be able to specify a snooze time! I'm surely going to miss some meetings now since I don't want to be snoozed every 5 mins and will instead, say "OK" to my reminders and then probably forget them 20 mins later.
    Get DateBk5. No Palm should be without it.
  3. purpleX
    No SMS? How is this thing suppose to sell in Europe?
    Originally posted by purpleX
    No SMS? How is this thing suppose to sell in Europe?
    The GSM version has REAL SMS/MMS. It is Sprint that has problems with implementing a real SMS solution, not the Treo itself. Sprint only operates in the US. Europeans wouldn't be trying to use the Sprint version. As far as Sprint is concerned, they have said that they are working on a true SMS network solution and will be implementing it some time this month. We'll see.

I'm surprised that you didn't know that, Purple, considering how much you hang out here and bash the Treo. I would have thought that you would at least KNOW the feature set that you are bashing.

A lot of us are waiting for the GSM version to be sold in the U.S. under the U.S. GSM carriers.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Actually, true MO-SMS is in the Sprint PCS Treo, its just that our SMS won't go live until 11/17. Until then either use shortmail in the Vison homepage, or get treo600sms.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Purple go read the GSM review.
    -
    Edward Green
    www.treospace.co.uk
    Hey Gadget ...

Right on the money on the X man! Just goes to show the agendas some have.

Perhaps if he told us what he actually uses, we could help him out a little.
  8. purpleX
    Well at least I know nobody here has tried the SMS featured either.

(I am sure it work nicely and amazingly well integrated too. hah!)

Actually, the integration and implementation of SMS on the GSM version of the Treo has always been good. It was only the Sprint network's lack of industry-standard implementation that has caused problems for Sprint users.

No third-party application is needed on the GSM version to have full functionality. It's integrated nicely with the Contacts, has auto-complete and can send to and receive from all the carriers world-wide. I've never had an issue with SMS on my Treo 270.

I'm looking forward to using it on the Treo 600 (GSM) when I get it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->

Okay I am lost. I am using the SMS feature on the GSM phone. I have been using it for weeks. It is great, and it is integrated into PalmOS's messaging system, so new SMS come up with reminders, emails and missed calls. SMS's are arranged into thread like a chat application.
    -
    Edward Green
    www.treospace.co.uk
  11. purpleX
    Does it mean Handspring is giving early US exclusive market to Sprint? GSM US version hasn't showed up yet.
    Originally posted by Edward_Green

Okay I am lost. I am using the SMS feature on the GSM phone. I have been using it for weeks. It is great, and it is integrated into PalmOS's messaging system, so new SMS come up with reminders, emails and missed calls. SMS's are arranged into thread like a chat application.
    You're not lost. That's exactly what it is supposed to do. We simply have an individual (PurpleX) that is quick to find fault with a product that she has never used.

The original poster (mharpen) expressed some frustration with changes and/or omissions between the older Treos and the Treo 600. PurpleX decided to chime in with an additional "omission". Only she was totally wrong about it. She didn't know what she was talking about.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Does it mean Handspring is giving early US exclusive market to Sprint? GSM US version hasn't showed up yet.
    There is lots of speculation as to why the US GSM version has not been released yet. Some think it is because Handspring had an agreement with Sprint to let Sprint have some exclusive time prior to the GSM market in the US.

Others believe it is because the US GSM carriers have delayed the product due to last-minute software changes that they want implemented.

We don't know why the GSM launch is behind the Sprint launch in the US. It is a source of frustration for GSM users in the US, but all we can do is wait.

By the way...the exact opposite situation occurred with the Treo 180/270 vs the 300. During that generation of products, the GSM version was released first and Sprint (CDMA) users had to wait.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

14. purpleX
    Wow our inspector is sure turning feisty. I was just mentioning the fact SMS is MIA in treo right now, and I thought it would be a no go if that would happen in euro version.

I didn't even go to the real "missing" feature list. You won't be able to take it you know. heh...
    SMS has always been fantastic with the Treo 180/270 and is even better in the GSM Treo 600 as we have the chat threaded view now.

However, I do miss the boilerplate feature which allows a quick drop down on the 'I'm running late' option of 5 mins, 10mins,15min 30 mins, 1hour.

PurpleX you just don't know what cool features you're missing

Have you ever used a treo in any capacity?
  17. purpleX
    should I be using treo in any capacity? how so?

If you are worried I am blurting out something wrong about treo 600 feature, not to worry, surely some die hard fan will correct me in no time.

ANd yes, there are plenty of missing feature in troe 600.
    Wow our inspector is sure turning feisty. I was just mentioning the fact SMS is MIA in treo right now, and I thought it would be a no go if that would happen in euro version.

I didn't even go to the real "missing" feature list. You won't be able to take it you know. heh...
    But SMS is NOT missing in the Treo. The application is there. What you were trying to do was make the Treo look bad. It is Sprint's network that is the problem, not the device. Since Sprint is a US company that only operates in the US, the European market has nothing to do with the limitations that Sprint brings into the picture. The Sprint/CDMA version of the Treo wouldn't even get a signal in Europe, so your point has absolutely no meaning to the European market.

Your post asked "How is this thing suppose to sell in Europe?" The Sprint version WOULDN'T be sold in Europe. You acted like you didn't even know that there was a GSM version (which IS selling in Europe), so I pointed it out to you, so that anyone that is not familiar with the Treo's capabilities wouldn't read this thread and think that the Treo can't do SMS.

The Treo can and does do SMS (and quite well). It's not the Treo's or Handspring's fault for Sprint's network limitations...Limitations which they are working to fix this month.

In any case, the GSM version doesn't have the Sprint issues and when it becomes available from Handspring in the US, I will get one.

I am well aware that the Treo 600 is not perfect. You go out of your way to point that out whenever you post. It seems to be your mission in life. No product has everything. The Treo has plenty of faults...but it doesn't help to have people who haven't even used the platform come on to a message board and spread mis-information.

Perhaps if I didn't already know that you have an agenda to see the Treo fail, your points wouldn't come across as attempts to steer people away from it. But that certainly IS the way it appears to me.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Yes, there are features missing, but people to need to get their facts straight first about what's missing. Everyone who is going to buy a Treo 600 needs to consider whether those missing features are important or not.