1.    #1  
    Does one exist?
    I believe Mergic VPN client is what you're looking for.
    Mergic VPN is exactly what you want. I use it all the time and it works wonderfully.
  4.    #4  
    Buying it today. Thanks for the info.

Now if there was only a TRUE Terminal Services Client for the palm. I hate having to add the VNC Client to all my servers.

Thanks again!
    Originally posted by cdawg
    Mergic VPN is exactly what you want. I use it all the time and it works wonderfully.
    Interesting and good to hear that you have this working because this is what I'm reading from Mergic's website:

---

http://www.mergic.com/vpnFAQ.php#os5

Q: Can I use Mergic VPN on Palm OS 5 based handhelds?

A: No, the current version of Mergic VPN is not compatible with Palm OS 5.

There is a version of Mergic VPN's PPTP implementation built-in to the ROM of the Palm Tungsten C OS 5 device. This version uses a VPN interface created by Palm specifically for this device. We are not sure when or if this interface will be made available for other OS 5 devices.

There is also work going on to generically support Mergic VPN in Palm OS 5 but creating the necessary changes to support the VPN drivers is complicated and there is currently not a release date set.

---

Which version are you using? 1.04?

In any case, it looks like I need to go ahead and try it out.
    The developer has a version in beta that works on the Treo 600 (ie: with Palm 5) ...... I've been testing for about 2 weeks ......
    i have to but for some reason i can't get poptop to work with linux....sometimes i wish linux was more similar to windows (ughh)
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Can anyone give me or provide the link to the Beta version of mergic vpn. I emailed them but no response.
    Can anyone give me or provide the link to the Beta version of mergic vpn. I emailed them but no response.
    I have the beta and it generally works great. PalmVNC, Online and the eudora browser work well, but neither blazer nor win-hand do for me.

anyone know how do download arbitrary files to handheld from a windows file share?

In any case those mergic folks have been consistently sharp, helpful and friendly. I hope they keep making great stuff or get bought by palm for zillions and retire happy
  11.    #11  
    New version of Mergic VPN for OS5 should be out in the next few days (hours?). The BETA period is over.
    The new version is out today.

Version 1.1

Updated Description:

Version 1.1 (10/31/03)
    - Added support for Palm OS 5 devices.
    - Added support for the Samsung SPH-i500 smartphone.
    - Increased User Name field to 63 characters.
    - Added support for the 3Com OfficeConnect Secure Gateway.
    - Added a VPN idle timeout option.
    - Installation now uses a single self installing Palm OS PRC.
    - Miscellaneous usability enhancements.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    Can I use these programs to access my home PC from on the road.

Is that possible?
    That depends on how your home PC is connected to the Internet.

If it is behind a firewall or broadband sharing device of some sort, then it depends on if that device supports PPTP connections (check the manual). Many firewalls do, most broadband sharing devices do not.

If so, then you can use Mergic VPN to connect to (and through) it and connect to the home PC.

For controlling the home PC, PalmVNC is hard to beat.

If your PC is connected directly to the Internet (yikes!), you should be able to enable PPTP in most recent Windows versions, although it would not be required.

This question has lots of answers and suggestions depending on the nature of what you want to do, what you have, and how much $$ you can spend.

- Joe
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I use a cable modem with optimum online.

I loaded those programs and put my IP address in but i dont know what the password is or any of that stuff

I disabbled my norton for a test but it couldnt connect.

Well thanks for the help
    Originally posted by amc_oldsarge
    Buying it today. Thanks for the info.

Now if there was only a TRUE Terminal Services Client for the palm. I hate having to add the VNC Client to all my servers.

Thanks again!
    There is:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/mobile_ts.html
    I tried that program and i get an error message saying "socket closed by peer" anyone know what this means.

Thanks