Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, is it me or does it seem like that the Treo 600 distorts when you're on a call? At first, I thought the speakerphone was just kinda of annoying because it would distort on a call at half volume, but now I'm finding that the earpiece seems to distort easily too. I really love this device, but I'm starting to get disappointed with what seems like its' crappy sound quality on phone calls. After all, it's supposed to be my one device and yet, for me using it as a phone isn't quite cutting it. Is anyone in the same boat? Should I look into getting a replacement or just fact the fact that maybe I'm a bit too picky.
    I noticed a similar phenomenon on the Sanyo 8100 phone, causing me to return it in favor of the Samsung A500.

Have you used the 8100? I hope the T600 doesn't have similar characteristics, namely that strange muffled/distorted sound.
  3.    #3  
    I have an 8100 as my other phone and it doesn't exhibit the problems you mention. It's clear and crisp and a little too loud for me actually, but no distortion such as what I've been hearing with my Treo 600.
    Hmm. In that case I'll want to try out voice on a T600 before I buy. Or, I could just return it like I did the 8100, if I find the voice quality unacceptable.

But, unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question.
    you could return it but i don't think it will help. i've had two 600's and the speakers on both are distorted. as well, there have been far to many complaints here for this problem to be isolated. imo this phone should not have been released. this board is chuck full of people with problems. i'm leaning toward the samsung i 500 in place of the 600.. i know the quality with the samsung has been far superior to that of the treo 600 thus far. i frankly just don't have time or the patience to try or hope for fixs.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/29/2003 at 09:33 PM.
  6. dhh
    I know exactly what you mean. Regardless of how I listen to a call, either through the earpiece, speaker or earbud, callers sound a little buzzy. It sounds like the speaker is being overdriven, but turning it down doesn't help.

I called Handspring about it and their suggestion was a hard reset. It didn't make any difference. I stressed the fact that I have the rattling power button and they agreed to send me a new T600. I really don't care about the button, but that audio quality is getting on my nerves. I want to love this phone but the poor sound is getting to me.

I'm waiting to see how the replacement unit compares. I'll post my findings when the new phone gets here. Surely all the rest of you are hearing better sound than I am or we'd be hearing more about it here.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    While on speaker push in on the little square on the back. That stops the distortion.

The included headset distorts. Many other inexpensive headsets do not distort. But one. I'm using a great Plantronics headset.

The front speaker for holding the phone up to one's ear does not distort.
  8.    #8  
    dhh, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Please do post when you get your new phone as I am very curious. I also agree that it can't be that huge of a problem as not very many are complaining here about it. I'm glad at least one person is hearing what I am.
    ive heard that my voice is distorted at times. voice quality on my treo 600 is clear,, no problems... but supposedly the person im talking to hears distortion.
    wonder if this is due to the microphone being on the back of the phone -- I CANT BELIEVE THEY PLACED IT THERE! this is a ridiculous location for a mic.
    i supposedly sounded better on the treo 300 because the mic was right in front of my face.
    Originally posted by Spiffyis5150
    I also agree that it can't be that huge of a problem as not very many are complaining here about it.
    are you serious?

the speaker issue is a very real problem that has been talked about far too many times at this board since the treo 600 release. believe what you want, but my bet is no replacement will correct your problem. there flat out is a distortion issue on higher volumn levels with the 600. i've had two 600's of my own and tested 3 others. all are the same .all have had a speaker distortion of obvious unacceptable levels. it is much worse then my 300 speaker, but hey if you want to cut down on the distortion level just push on the speaker in the back of the device when someone speaks.
  11.    #11  
    I understand it's been a problem, but I haven't got the impression that all Treo 600s have this problem from the threads that I've been reading over the past month.

I did push down on it as you suggested and it was somewhat better. Sounds like it's something I'll learn to live with.
    I understand it's been a problem, but I haven't got the impression that all Treo 600s have this problem from the threads that I've been reading over the past month.

I did push down on it as you suggested and it was somewhat better. Sounds like it's something I'll learn to live with.
    we really shouldn't have to push down. it wouldn't hurt for you to try a replacement, but i' have my doubts as to it being a fix. good luck.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    The units then will have that fixed.

I hope they also have a 320 x 320 screen!
    Originally posted by mgauss
    While on speaker push in on the little square on the back. That stops the distortion.

The included headset distorts. Many other inexpensive headsets do not distort. But one. I'm using a great Plantronics headset.

The front speaker for holding the phone up to one's ear does not distort.
    You say that a Plantronics headset works well and doesn't distort. Can you please give me the model #?

I purchased the Treo 600 and returned it because the sound quality coming out of the earpiece was terrible. It is buzzy when a person speaks barely above a normal tone and the sound hurt my ear - literally. Before returning it I did test an array of different earpieces. They included a Jarbra, Plantronics (hopefully not the unit you tested) , Nokia, At&T, Body Glove and Sony unit. They ALL exhibited the same distortion - some were worse than others. Ironically, I found the cheapest $15 AT&T earpiece to have the least distortion, though it was still unacceptable.

I received the replacement unit and to my disgust, the quality was just as bad as the first, clearly ruling out the possibillity that my phone was defective. I am now debating whether or not I should return the phone and keep my trusty Sanyo 4900 which has clear, good sound to the earpiece (any earpiece for that matter) but most importantly, the sound quality doesn't HURT MY EAR. It is sad that I have to resort to my antiquated, low tech Sanyo unit but I always use an earpiece and being able to tolerate a persons voice is obviously very important.
    I have a similar problem as the other posts, although the speaker in back works adequately, and I have no problem with the earpiece. However, the front speaker is unitelligible. I am going to Sprint today to see about a replacement. If the next phone has the same problem I am going to abandon the Treo 600 and wait to see what Palm One is going to come up with next year.
    I think this is an issue.

The ear bud that came with it was no good. I went to another and it also sounds distorted.

The regular headset in the front also sounds less than perfect.

Is this in ALL phones... it does NOT sound like just some defect.

Mike
    I have Rev. C and I don't have a problem with the earpiece or speaker at the back - clearer than my 300 for sure. I haven't tried the handsfree headset yet though. This revision might have fixed the earpiece problem.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    This is a major concern. The Treo 600 does have a major problem with the sound quality reproduced to the earpiece-out jack. The issue is NOT the quality of the earpiece. It is indeed the phone. I have already returned my existing phone and the replacement is just as bad. In addition to those two phones, the T600 at the Sprint phone has the same problem.

For all frequent earpiece users, the sound quality is absolutely unacceptable. I was wondering if this can be remedied by a firmware upgrade or something similar. If so, the only hope is to badger Handspring. If they see that many customers are upset about the earpiece-out quality, they may actually do something about it. Or am I only being utopian?

I realize that some people just don't care as they don't use an earpiece often, but quite frankly, I don't see how this phone can be used often (especially for business) without an earpiece. The use of an earpiece makes it so much more useful.
  19.    #19  
    tcjohnsson, all I can do is agree. I, too, also have the problem with the earpiece. My Plantronics set is decent, but still, I've never had it distort with any other phone which leads me to believe that you're right that software might be able to fix this problem. On both the Sanyo 5300 and Sanyo 8100, Sprint released firmware to fix volume problems with these phones. On the 5300, it was too soft and later was made louder whereas the 8100 was too loud and made a bit softer. I've had the 8100 since it came out and never had a distortion problem though it was way too loud at even the lowest volume levels.

FYI, ChemEnger, I have a Rev C too, so I'm not sure it's Rev related.
    tcjohnsson, all I can do is agree. I, too, also have the problem with the earpiece. My Plantronics set is decent, but still, I've never had it distort with any other phone which leads me to believe that you're right that software might be able to fix this problem. On both the Sanyo 5300 and Sanyo 8100, Sprint released firmware to fix volume problems with these phones. On the 5300, it was too soft and later was made louder whereas the 8100 was too loud and made a bit softer. I've had the 8100 since it came out and never had a distortion problem though it was way too loud at even the lowest volume levels.

FYI, ChemEnger, I have a Rev C too, so I'm not sure it's Rev related.
    Which earpiece is distorted: the one on the phone, or the one on the handsfree headset (tcjohnson mentioned earpiece - out jack)? As I said, I have not used my handsfree headset but my earpiece (on the phone) is very clear. How could it be software then?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast