Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by slffl
    Yes, the sound quality on the Treo 600 does suck, my Treo 300 was MUCH better. And this is one main reason I'm selling it.
    you are exactly correct. the 300 has a much better sound, and i don't blame you for selling the 600.

what steams me is that hs had to have known about this sound distortion issue from beta testing, and yet they still released the 600.
    Folks,

I have been thinking about these posts, and I know I am not having any audio problems.

Perhaps all the people that are having problem are using headsets with lower impedance than the rest of us.

If it helps, I will send my crystal clear beat up plantronics to someone to test with a Treo that is having problems. I swear it is crystal clear on my Treo.

tcjohnsson, Titan I don't mind sending you my headset. Actually it's taped together, so I am due for a new one. But it is crystal clear with my Treo.

I understand the enourmous frustration of having a problem and not knowing what is causing it. PM me and I will send it to you to test.

Glenn
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,

I have been thinking about these posts, and I know I am not having any audio problems.

Perhaps all the people that are having problem are using headsets with lower impedance than the rest of us.

If it helps, I will send my crystal clear beat up plantronics to someone to test with a Treo that is having problems. I swear it is crystal clear on my Treo.

tcjohnsson, Titan I don't mind sending you my headset. Actually it's taped together, so I am due for a new one. But it is crystal clear with my Treo.

I understand the enourmous frustration of having a problem and not knowing what is causing it. PM me and I will send it to you to test.

Glenn
    Yes, PLEASE. As long as there is no earwax attached with it

But first, I would like to know if you ever speak to someone with a loud voice. Have you spoken to many individuals or maybe just your girlfriend? You never know, so just checking. My headsets sound good if the person on the other end is speaking softly (read: very softly) but once they start talking at a normal volume, it buzzes a lot.

Send me an e-mail - techno@hawaii.rr.com and I'll give you my ship-to info.
    Originally posted by tcjohnsson

Yes, PLEASE. As long as there is no earwax attached with it

But first, I would like to know if you ever speak to someone with a loud voice. Have you spoken to many individuals or maybe just your girlfriend? You never know, so just checking. My headsets sound good if the person on the other end is speaking softly (read: very softly) but once they start talking at a normal volume, it buzzes a lot.

Send me an e-mail - techno@hawaii.rr.com and I'll give you my ship-to info.
    tcjohnsson,

I have spoken to people at all levels...including my wife (not my girlfriend -- though she sometimes talks loud to me!), business associates, conference calls, voice-mail, etc. I'm good for 2000+ peak minutes a month -- no distortion. Come to think of it, the last time my wife spoke to me...I did notice some distortion...

Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn_Butler; 11/21/2003 at 09:13 AM.
    There is definatly somthing wrong with some units. When mine is on speaker its horrible. So horrible in fact that its unusable. I called handspring on the speaker and let them hear it. We couldn't even speak to each other. They said that when they talked they could hear themselves echo back. All I could hear is the speaker cutting in/out, echoing, and some static. This isnt some minor thing, it was to the point of unusable.

They promptly put a replacement on order.
    I just got my T600, and immediately I noticed that the sound on it sucks. It is worse than on the 300. It is even harder to hear out of the earpiece on this phone than the 300. And that 300 already it was hard to hear sometimes. This is no Verizon phone nor is it anywhere as good as a lan line.

The speakerphone sucks even more. What kind of retard made the speakerphone on the back, so that it projects opposite the direction of you? it projects out into the open, away from you!!! do you want everyone else to hear your conversation EXCEPT for yourself? well thats whats happening. i frequently find myself having to turn around the phone so that the sound is projecting toward me so that i feel like i'm not talking to a wall. mofos.

This phone has immediately shown its bad qualities. from the cheap looking chrome, to the heavy *** weight, to the crappy vibrate switch that you have to move with your fingernail, the tons of resets (first one was trying to add a phone contact then it soft resets) to the missing menus on top (forces you to have to memorize hot keys instead of being on screen) to the STILL CRAPPY, UNUSEABLE IN SUNLIGHT screen (whole nother story), to everything..it just is fully of bad quality. And like someone else said, the engineers knew about these problems, yet still decided to release it (****ing Jeff Hawkins and Donna) **** them both. But the sad thing is, there is not really a better alternative on teh market so thats why i dont feel like returning it right now. The P900 is better in every way, except its missing the keyboard. Too bad. cant have the best of everything. but why would they make this product worse than the 300? Yes the form factor improved (but not the weight), at the expense of crappier reception, heavier phone, smaller, WORSE screen, and mediocre everything else. I even dont like where the numbers are placed on the new keyboard. they shoulda kept them on teh right. it made more sense. man i dont know what all the designers were smoking when they made this phone. Perhaps it exactly exempliefies what type of people they are. LOW QUALITY, GREEDY PEOPLE WHO DONT CARE ABOUT quality, but only want to get a product out in time to make money, but in the end..it all comes down to quality. If this product were to go to heaven or hell, it would surely go to hell. I know a good quality product when i see one. And this is not one..and it never has been. Stay away from Handspring if you can at all costs. Sony makes better products. Handspring reminds me of cubic zirconia. Its no real diamond.
    Originally posted by josephtse
    What kind of retard made the speakerphone on the back,
    Where would you have put the speakerphone? Because I see no other place it could go.
    The same ****ing place it where it was on the Treo 300!!! Just design it so it fits. Anywhere but the back! Jeez..people need to think outside the box sometimes..you just dont put a speakerphone on the back..that would be like putting the earpeace on the back..get it???! sometimes people have to have a little more sense when they design things. I'll tell you one thing--the Japanese..see they are very smart in designing cars..think thru everything...that is why their engines are so small yet so quiet and efficient. Germans too. Very exacting. So should cell phones, and any other electronic equipment. The biggest rule of thumb in anything is common sense.
    Originally posted by josephtse
    The same ****ing place it where it was on the Treo 300!!! Just design it so it fits. Anywhere but the back! Jeez..people need to think outside the box sometimes..you just dont put a speakerphone on the back..that would be like putting the earpeace on the back..get it???! sometimes people have to have a little more sense when they design things. I'll tell you one thing--the Japanese..see they are very smart in designing cars..think thru everything...that is why their engines are so small yet so quiet and efficient. Germans too. Very exacting. So should cell phones, and any other electronic equipment. The biggest rule of thumb in anything is common sense.
    Well, for the most part, I agree with your gripes but please try to stay on topic. We would like to keep this board focused on the unacceptable sound quality of the T600.

In regards to your issue on the speakerphone, I think it is not so much an issue of the placement of the speaker but the placement in respect to the mic. The mic is at the base but it is omnidirectional. And guess where the direction is? Towards the bottom (base) of the phone and the back!! That is indeed inane engineering if I have ever seen it before. It is facing every direction but the correct one - the front of the phone where your mouth is. Duh. When someone is on speaker the voice projects and bounces off the surface of whatever it is sitting on (i.e. table) and right back at the mic. Not a single person I spoke to can stand the incessant echo that they hear. I didn't know how bad it was until I had my friend call me from another room with my phone. Then I knew why people would say, GET ME OFF THAT CRAPPY SPEAKER PHONE!

But heck, we have to deal with this unless you are crafty enough to drill another hole and remount your mic somewhere. The sound quality, on the other hand, is clearly a software issue which CAN BE FIXED BY HS. So gripe once about what cannot be fixed and KEEP ON GRIPING FOREVER ABOUT THINGS THAT SHOULD AND CAN BE FIXED.
    Folks,

Let's keep thing in perspctive. Most people are having no audio problems with this phone. Those that are have gotten them replaced.

Handspring and Palm have not been making any money. The last thing they need is a ton of people returning phones for no reason because they read this thread.

I have sent my headset to tcjohnsson so he can test it -- we await the results.

BOTTOM LINE FOR ME: My earpeice, and all headsets, and the speakerphone really work very well on my TREO. THERE ARE NO AUDIO PROBLEMS ON MY UNIT. My last two phones were a Motorola Startac (good audio), and Kyocera 7135 (never loud enough in all modes).

THE TREO 600 is better than both. It is louder when needed and very clear.

Glenn
    I see that most of you have the sprint version of the phone. any one with GSM and sound issues?

Thanks,
    Actually I have an unlocked GSM Treo for almost 2 weeks now. The speakerphone/midi/any audio out of that back speaker SUCKS! It crackles even at it lowest audio setting. Only way to make it stop is by pressing pretty hard on the back between the notch and the Handspring logo. I'm calling HS next week on this.
    My phone reception sucks. I was driving up 55 north going to Chicago and on the way there, I made a few phone calls like usual. The treo 300 has much better phone clarity than the 600. The 600 sounds like you are talking to a sick person or something. Or a really muffled earpiece. Its like listening to someone thru 2 pillows. Very sucky. They need to do something about this. I dont give a crap if Palm isn't making money. I wonder why. Its cause they can't make a quality product. Once you make a quality product, do it right the first time, you make all the money you want to. But if you rush to market a piece of crap, thats what you will get, a piece of crap. That is why people are returning these phones. Not becuase they are picky, because honestly, these phones suck. I would say this phone has the worst reception out of all 5 cell phones I have owned since 1999. Including a Nokia 5250, samsung a460, some other samsung, and treo 300. the treo 300 is not bad. it is actually pretty clear. but teh 600, mine definietly stinks. If this keeps up i think i'm returning it and gonna try out the P900. Too bad because i think the treo 600 does most other things pretty well, except for the main aspect, the phone. if its gonna sound this bad, i might as well use a pay phone. I dont think my unit is defective. it is version C and it is brand new. Albeit they didnt do a good job packing and my handspring box was all messed up and stuff.

Note to HAWKINS: Get the ****ing phone reception right!!!
    I just got my 600 yesterday and was anxious to see if it had the flaws people have been describing, hoping desperately that I would be lucky to get one of the "good" phones. Here's what I've noticed so far. I haven't asked for "customer feedback" as I don't really call people that much anyway, so I've been calling up my voicemail and leaving messages up the wazoo. Anyway:

I'm not noticing any distorted audio, whether it be through the built-in earpice or the speaker. The quality is acceptable--no better or worse than my old 300. The speakerphone option works better than my old 300 in that the two people I've talked to using the speakerphone on my 600 haven't asked me to speak louder, and using a separate speaker for the speakerphone as opposed to turning up the volume on the earpiece provides much, much better quality.

That having been said, and I don't know enough about the unit or the GSM protocols to accurately say where the problem lies, the audio isn't perfect. On the earpiece or on a headset, the caller sounds OK, but the caller's voice is getting trounced by this annoying buzzing. The buzzing is intermittent during silent periods (it has a regular period, it's not random), but when the caller speaks or I speak the buzzing is constant. If I am using the earpiece, the loudness of the buzzing rises above the ambient hiss of the electronics. If I'm using a headset (a Jabra headset) the buzzing is in direct competition with the other party's audio. And it works both ways-- I left a voicemail message (for myself) using the 600 with the headset and played it back on a landline, and I couldn't even hear anything remotely intelligible. The buzzing was horrible.

Unfortunately, I love the phone otherwise. I'm playing MP3s on the speaker right now and the quality is better than what I would expect. I'm hesitant to play the replacement game because of the past experiences some people have shared on this thread... I would be more inclined to send it back for a replacement if it weren't such a crapshoot as it seems.

I'm disappointed that the headset is rendered pretty much useless. Though it doesn't impact me too much, I'm not going to stick with my present unit if people are saying there are phones that actually work out there.

(I'm using a rev. B 600 with Cingular GSM service. I upgraded from a Sprint Treo 300.)
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler
    I have sent my headset to tcjohnsson so he can test it -- we await the results.
    Glenn

Did you booby-trap it like we planned?

The eagle flies at dawn.
    How has everyone been returning their defective T600's? My earpeice speaker completely stopped working about 1 month after I received the phone.

I ordered the phone through Sprint, via telephone.

I have been to Sprint stores all over NYC, they have verified that the phone is broken but nobody has one to replace it in the area.

Sprint REFUSES to send me another phone. They want me to use Equipment repacement. I am not going to do that because I dont feel I should pay a stupid deductable, and I am sure I may need to return again if this problem continues.

I have been a "loyal" customer of theirs for over 7 years..can you believe this BC?

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get a new phone or should I insist on a refund?? I give up.... Thanks...
    Here's my $.02 on the abysmal headset performance:

I'm on my 2nd CDMA 600 (this one Rev. C; didn't find out what the first one was).
    The headset sound quality truly is horrific: as if the other person has hand over (or in?) mouth when talking.

Furthermore, my 2nd 600, as we well as my 2nd "high performance" headset are no better than the ones originally ordered.

After reviewing the posts in this particular thread, I can conclude:
    • My unit's headset quality sound distortion is not something I've conjured up because I'm a techno snob malcontent; there has been enough similar sentiment expressed to validate that.
    • People who are happy with their sound quality have either: 1) 600s that truly sound as they're supposed to or, 2) lower thresholds of what constitutes acceptable headset performance.

In the very least, I'll be doing as other dissatisfied souls have: exchanging units until HS admits there's a design problem (be it hard/soft/firmware). (If any of you are thinking of buying a 600, seriously consider going directly to HS, so as to avoid fighting with Sprint over return issues).

Of course, HS claims this is the first they've heard of it. You'd think they'd be monitoring these threads, if for no other reason, to gauge sentiment, which clearly has been less than stellar.
    Take note, HS!

Here's something I'd really to hear feedback on:

I had my 300 for about a year, so I think I have a reasonable basis for comparison of headset quality. While the 300's headset listening quality is vastly superior to that of the 600, the feedback I get from others is that I sound much clearer/louder on the 600.
    Sooo, with that, I experimented a little. I tried the 300's headset in the 600, and this is what I found:
    • Because of the 4-pin (300) vs. 3-pin (600) design differences, the "one-touch" (i.e., answering/hanging up via the button on the microphone) operation is non-functional in the 600.
    • The microphone quality (mediocre on the 300) is equally mediocre on the 600, but apparently no worse.
    • However, the listening quality, much to my surprise was noticeably better than the 600 headsets (i.e., as delivered with the unit, as well as the "high-performance").

Unfortunately, due to the "button issue" as well as microphone quality, I'm not ready to switch back to the 300's headset. Oh yeah, HS advised me that using the 300's plug could permanently damage the 600's contacts. Huh?

Does anyone have any stories to share regarding use of the 300's headset?
    I mentioned earlier that I was going to sell my Treo 600 because of the poor sound quality. Well I finally did and picked up a Sanyo VM4500. And compared, the sound quality is awesome. So far everyone I've asked has said it sounds really good on their end. I don't hear the other person cutting out all the time, and the reception is fantastic!
    I am sorry to hear about complaints on the sound or quality problems but I hate it when these people make it look like everybody is pissed with their Treos like they are.

In my business, I must have a good quality phone and a functional PDA. My T270 gave me both for at least over a year. Just got my Sprint Treo 4 days ago and I don't know where you people are coming from but this thing rocks!

HEADSET - ordered the upgrade one but the original one was ok too. By the way I can press the button to answer or end the call!

SPEAKERPHONE - No problems as long as you don't put the volume past the halfway mark. It upsets other people to hear your f......g phone conversation anyway plus it's impolite!

MP3 Player - Hey I have an iPod too but the Treo 600 is grreat because I have it with me all the time

I tried a Sony T610 before I made the T600 purchase and no way, it was not any better at all. I hardly used the Blutooth that was part of that phone. The Treo 600 Camera is crappy but it's really fun and a real icebreaker. When I do need to get a good shot at something (for my real estate listings) I have my Canon S230 in my pocket all the time.

So cheers, this will do me for now until the next generation of exciting smartphones will soon be out and I predict it will be no more than 6 months from now. I think the next time around, PalmOne/Handspring will have some tough competition.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    ...i'm going to return this SCREECHING phone to ORANGE - FRANCE as soon as i find a VERY POSITIVE replacement unit hardware rev.x post around here, and/or handspring officially offers exchange/apologies.

my 2 cents (euro cents)...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast