Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by dhh
    I posted to this thread a couple of weeks ago and reported that I had a replacement T600 on its way from Handspring based on the sound quality of my previous unit.

Well, it arrived last week and I finally got the chance to switch over to it. The sound quality on the new unit is identical to the sound on the unit it replaces.

I saved a voice mail from an associate speaking in a normal tone as a test sound file. I listened to the message via built-in speaker, back speaker, ear bud and the stereo headset I use for MP3s. In all cases the buzzy, over-driven sound was pronounced to the point of being irritating.

Then I configured the new Treo 600 and listened to the same voice mail in all 4 configurations. Because I really want it to be better, I can imagine a minor improvement in sound overall, but the raspy overtones are still there.

Next, I loaded up a couple of MP3s and played them through the back speaker and the stereo headset. They sounded good on the headset. I was able to turn the volume up to the point that it was uncomfortable for me to listen to, but here was no distortion The sound through the back speaker with the MP3 source sounded like an old fashioned transistor radio, or music played through the tiny built-in speakers of an old Macintosh. Certainly not great, but also not distorted like the phone sounds are.

My experiment leads me to believe that there is something being overdriven in software as it pertains to the telephone functionality. It is not possible for me to turn my phone sound down far enough to make it sound good all the time. It ranges from OK to unlistenable. What a disappointment.
    My own conclusion for your experiment is that the CDMA chip (or GSM chip, dunno which one you are using) that Handspring has picked sucks like hell. If the same distortion is going through all the speaker sources, then it's obviously the shared component which is distorting. In this case, it's the RF radio. I refuse to buy another Handspring phone until they have figured out how to build a good cellphone portion of a smartphone.
    I just went through all of this. I had a rev. "C" with terrible audio at the speakerphone and earpiece (I didn't try headset). I got a replacement from HS that's a rev. "B" (NOT a refurb and with a warranty date of 11/2) and all audio problems seem to be GONE. There are good t600's out there. If audio is an issue for you, be persistent. Anyone who's not attempting to exchange a $399 (upgrade deal) phone from HS would be well-advised to go to a brick-and-mortar and try the exact phone you'll end up with. Trust me, the "C" was horrible and the "B" is superb. I got lucky; hope you all get taken care of.

Todd/Indy
    I've had no problems with distortion on mine. There is the same slight hiss and background clicking that I had with both my SE T616 and my Nokia 3600, but the voices were clear and crisp and for the first time my wife was not asking me if I was on the interstate. The noise cancellation on the Treo 600 seems to be first rate, comparable to the Nokias I've used.

Steven
    I have a Rev. B phone and while the sound is slightly distorted and unclear, it is not as bad as some people here are making it out to be. It could be better, but it's useable and not enough to make me want to return the phone.

If I were to give the A500's sound clarity rating a 100% (which I would), then I'd give then Treo 600 a 90%, and the Sanyo 8100, which I returned, a 50%.
    Originally posted by tbhausen
    I just went through all of this. I had a rev. "C" with terrible audio at the speakerphone and earpiece (I didn't try headset).
    -
    -
    - Trust me, the "C" was horrible and the "B" is superb. I got lucky; hope you all get taken care of.

Todd/Indy
    I returned my rev. B because the side strip came unglued (speaker and ear piece was decent at 2 steps down from max). My second one is a rev. C and ear piece and speaker phone is pretty good. I can max volume on voice mail, but other conversations have to be down a notch or 2 and then no distortion.

Haven't tried hands-free though, but it won't be a deal-breaker for me. I just hope everyone doesn't expect distortion-free sound when volume is maxed. I do think it's unacceptable if there's distortion no matter what volume level you have it at.

The only way to truely get to the bottom of this (besides HS testing the defective units in the labs), would be to have a Treo 600 gathering and compare each other's phone volumes because it's obvious everyone's got different opinions on this. I was hoping that this problem would be related to defective phones, because if it's a OTA upgrade, they better figure it out which hardware rev. needs what.

I don't want a OTA software upgrade to screw up my sound. But, I don't mind improvements either.

-I'll second it that the 8100's ear piece got muffled pretty bad if your ear isn't lined up exactly on the hole of the phone.
    Originally posted by peyote

I just hope everyone doesn't expect distortion-free sound when volume is maxed. I do think it's unacceptable if there's distortion no matter what volume level you have it at.

So far I haven't heard any complaints about any headphone sounding bad at only high volume. The distortion is there at even the lowest setting where you can barely hear the person talking. It's just that when they talk just slightly louder than normal (I experience very high distortion when speaking to most males), there is a terrible buzzing sound. You can replicate this if you have a microphone on your computer. Turn the mic input all the way up to its max and record yourself talking VERY loudly into it with your lips 1 millimeter from the mic. Now replay it at a low, barely discernable volume and listen to it. That's what my headphones sound like - any headphone. And this is on all three phones I've tested.
    I only notice distortion when playing anything through the back speaker (mp3's etc). One person was correct in mentioning that if you push on the back panel near the speaker, the distortion lessons or almost disappears.
    It is as if the distortion is not the speaker itself but the plastic case vibrating around the speaker due to the speaker's sound reproduction.
    I think a fix, if possible, is to open the Treo 600 and place an earbud foam around the speaker. This would act as a cushion between the speaker and the plastic case.
    I'm just not bold enough to attempt to opem my Treo yet!

Any Thoughts?

Jim
    Folks,

I am an audio engineer part time and am pretty picky about this stuff.

If I turn the audio all the way up on the speakerphone, it distorts with loud callers -- but this is good design. On my previous Kyocera's the speaker phone was always to quiet to be usable.

I am using a Sprint one that was purchased at a store a few weeks ago. I have logged over 1000 minutes and have no problems with the audio at all. In fact, tthe phone is louder than most, on the highest volume and I like this.

Really, the audio is fine on mine...

How do I know if I have an A, B or C?

Glenn
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,
    How do I know if I have an A, B or C?

Glenn
    Go to phone, hit "menu" button, go to options, then scroll down to phone info. fwiw, sprint's letting us have email now. Handspring has a beta out now. Just look it up in the forum.
    I was testing out ringtones that sound HORRIBLE when at full volume, you just get this rattling/distortion noise, same for voice on speaker phone and MP3s. Proceeded to press my finger against the the spot on the back of the Treo 600 where you could connect a belt clip. A bit of pressure was needed, but while holding it in, it sounded perfect. Absolutely zero rattling/distortion!. Handsfree and regular phone sounds fine, but anything through that back speaker just sucks. I'm tempted to open up my Treo tonight and see if I can add something inside between the case and the inner hardware that will give enough pressure to cease the distortion (though if the phone were to ever drop that added padding might do more harm than good. For the record, its Rev. B and a GSM model I bought from Singapore. Besides this one nuisance, the phone is incredible!
    I have been reading this thread with a big for awhile. My rear speaker sounds perfect for ringers, MP3 playback and speakerphone. My headset only pics up a tiny bit of rattle at the highest volume setting, and the interal ear piece is totaly distortion free at all levels. I guess I must be one very lucky guy, since my first 600 was flawless, and its replacement (I dropped it while throwing out my back to pic it up) is also pretty close to perfect.
    Folks,

I know I posted before, but the audio on my TREO is perfect for my uses.

If I put on spreaker phone, and I turn it all the way up, and the caller is loud, there is some distortion both from the speaker and Op-Amp. Probably as it is designed.

It sounds (no pun intended) like there are some bad treo's out there, or some really picky people. Maybe both.

BTW, I have the Sprint model, SW ver Sprint 1.00 and hardware C.

Glenn
    I'm still with you tcjohnsson.
    I am on my third treo and it still does the same thing. Distortion exactly as you describe. It is not anywhere near as noticeable over the speaker on the back or the ear speaker on the front of the phone, but, over the headset it is ridiculous.
    I am an audio engineer too Glenn Butler. Have you tried listening to your treo over the headset? The cheap headset it comes with masks some of the distortion because the sound is so muffled. The other headsets I have are much clearer but I can't stand using them because the sound is so bad. I have resorted to using the cheap headset that comes with it because it makes the distortion a little more bearable. I love the system but the sound quality on voice calls over the headset jack is pathetic. I really hope this can be resolved with a software upgrade.
    I'm not sure what my first treo 600's hardware revision was, but, the second and third have been hardware revision "C". The seconds warranty date was 10/12. The third one is 10/10. I am with Sprint.
    Originally posted by Titan
    I am an audio engineer too Glenn Butler. Have you tried listening to your treo over the headset?
    Folks,

I tried with their headset which is really muffled, other than that no distortion.

After reading this last post -- I kust tried my regular home headset, and honest to god...it is crystal clear. This was your standard Plantronics around the ear type.

Glenn
    Glenn,

speaker and Op-Amp.
    I thought it was either the speaker, Amp, or the case rattling. Why would you say the op a, rather then the amp? Does it have automatic gain control?

So the Plantronics is clear to you? I could not tell if you used it or not. But your home headphones are fine, correct? When you say Plantroincs, you mean the brand of the Home Headsphones?
    Thanks matt
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Glenn,

I thought it was either the speaker, Amp, or the case rattling. Why would you say the op a, rather then the amp? Does it have automatic gain control?

So the Plantronics is clear to you? I could not tell if you used it or not. But your home headphones are fine, correct? When you say Plantroincs, you mean the brand of the Home Headsphones?
    Thanks matt
    The Plantronics (brand) headset is a standard around the ear type with a little boom mike -- pretty much as generic as you can get. I said home, because it's the headset I use mainly with my cordless home phone.

It sounds like a batch of early ones were defective -- who knows?

Glenn
    Yes, the sound quality on the Treo 600 does suck, my Treo 300 was MUCH better. And this is one main reason I'm selling it.
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler

The Plantronics (brand) headset is a standard around the ear type with a little boom mike -- pretty much as generic as you can get. I said home, because it's the headset I use mainly with my cordless home phone.

It sounds like a batch of early ones were defective -- who knows?

Glenn
    I'm still waiting on my replacement. I only seem to have problems with distortion in headsets. I've tried them all - Plantronics, Jarba, Sony, AT&T, etc. Sound quality to the main earpiece on the phone and speaker phone are "acceptable".

Can someone tell me which brand seems to do the best job of supressing this distortion? I noticed that the Plantronics unit (the most expensive one) had the highest level of distortion while the cheaper AT&T unit has the least distortion.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I too have found headset sound quality to be terrible.

I called Sprint support expecting them to say that tons of people (including the people who wrote 100's of messages in this thread) have reported the issue and it is either fixed or under investigation.

The reality is they claim they show me as the first person to ever complain.

Not sure what is going on, but if each and everyone of you can call and complain, perhaps we can get them to do something. If we don't this will never get fixed.

Thanks
    Mark F Chinsky
    Originally posted by mulcher
    I too have found headset sound quality to be terrible.

I called Sprint support expecting them to say that tons of people (including the people who wrote 100's of messages in this thread) have reported the issue and it is either fixed or under investigation.

The reality is they claim they show me as the first person to ever complain.

Not sure what is going on, but if each and everyone of you can call and complain, perhaps we can get them to do something. If we don't this will never get fixed.

Thanks
    Of course Sprint is going to tell you that they have not heard any complaints. That would be excepting the fact that the product(s) they sell are terrible. Never in a million years would that happen. Until HS can acknowledge that there is something wrong with the sound quality, maybe at that time will Sprint mention it and say "they (being HS) are working to address the problem". Right now, its an inherent characteristic of the phone, basically take it or leave it. So far I've been receiving replacement phones... and leaving it.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast