Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 112
  1. #41  
    Originally posted by JTREOB


    your damn right we have defective products, and there's no doubt after going five for five that there's a hell of alot of defective treo 600's out there.
    My thoughts exactly!!
  2. #42  
    Originally posted by tcjohnsson


    My thoughts exactly!!
    Well, I guess you two think alike.

    Just curious, you said you've had five treo600s in such short a time, when people are waiting over three weeks to get their first one? I'm not arguing the point that your handsets are defective, but you seem to be arguing that all 600s have unacceptable sound quality.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  3. #43  
    Originally posted by ChemEngr


    Well, I guess you two think alike.

    Just curious, you said you've had five treo600s in such short a time, when people are waiting over three weeks to get their first one? I'm not arguing the point that your handsets are defective, but you seem to be arguing that all 600s have unacceptable sound quality.
    i stated earlier that i have had two treo 600's through sprint and i have personally tested three others at two sprint stores. the sound was not only unacceptable to me. the store manager was seriously considering a return to sprint of the two phones we tested at one of the stores. as he stated," if i sell these, they're most likely coming back".

    as i stated i'm 5 for 5 on my tests. what would you summize? and if you had been reading the posts over the past few weeks you would soon relize we are but two of many who have complained on this issue.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/05/2003 at 12:57 AM.
  4. #44  
    Originally posted by JTREOB


    i stated earlier that i have had two treo 600's through sprint and i have personally tested three others at two sprint stores. the sound was not only unacceptable to me. the store manager was seriously considering a return of the two phones we tested at one of the stores. as he stated," if i sell these, they're most likely coming back".
    So it is possible that the some first production batches (which mostly went to retail stores) were bad. And there would be a lot less failure rate with the later revisions. JMHO. I have Rev. C, 10/10/03 mfg. date.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  5. #45  
    i've had a, b and tested c twice and another a once.

    but enough already. i think every one who has this problem needs to email handspring/palmone on this issue, lets hope common sense takes hold and they address it.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/05/2003 at 01:06 AM.
  6. #46  
    I give up. I'll just think that I am the luckiest person that owns a 600 or you're the unluckiest. Too bad for you, it's a real nice piece of technology.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  7. #47  
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    I give up. I'll just think that I am the luckiest person that owns a 600 or you're the unluckiest. Too bad for you, it's a real nice piece of technology.
    ChemEngr,

    I have a question for you. Do you use a headset with your T600? If so, do you use it often and did you use a headset on any other previous cell phone?
  8. #48  
    yes when i'm driving. yes also with other cell phones when driving. do I detect a great loss in audio quality? no. my unit is acceptable.
  9. #49  
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    yes when i'm driving. yes also with other cell phones when driving. do I detect a great loss in audio quality? no. my unit is acceptable.
    hmmm, I'm beginning to think that maybe your unit is defective. In a good way that is.

    Perhaps you only speak to people that have a very low volume? I noticed that when speaking to some women, the headset doesn't seem to distort as much and if they speak softly, it doesn't distort at all.
  10. BD1
    BD1 is offline
    BD1's Avatar
    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #50  
    I have an unlocked GSM version (via Singapore). I haven't noticed any issues with sound quality with the headset or the speakers. All seem very good. Maybe I am lucky or maybe there is a difference btwn GSM and CDMA phones?
  11. #51  
    it amazes me how all five 600's that i tried a, b,c, versions exibited obvious distortion.

    when i pointed out distortion to a sprint store manager with 2 of the units that he was stocking, the distortion was unacceptable to him, as well.

    it may be that there are phones without distortion, but i attribute the differences between units as more a result of what ones acceptance level of distortion is, and not the units themselves.

    i think you could order up a new unit daily for the next month and there still would be no change.

    to me all five that i tested were grossly distorted at higher( past mid bar) levels, and i wasn't alone in my belief.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/05/2003 at 11:16 PM.
  12. #52  
    Originally posted by Spiffyis5150
    Ok, is it me or does it seem like that the Treo 600 distorts when you're on a call? At first, I thought the speakerphone was just kinda of annoying because it would distort on a call at half volume, but now I'm finding that the earpiece seems to distort easily too. I really love this device, but I'm starting to get disappointed with what seems like its' crappy sound quality on phone calls. After all, it's supposed to be my one device and yet, for me using it as a phone isn't quite cutting it. Is anyone in the same boat? Should I look into getting a replacement or just fact the fact that maybe I'm a bit too picky.
    You are not imagining things - the 600's speakerphone and earpiece are the biggest flaw of this WONDERFUL AWESOME phone. It is too bad that the biggest flaw is the phone quality when the SMARTPHONE is smart but a poor sounding phone. Wasssup with that? Already dreaming of the Treo 1200. OK - the sound quality is at least better than the camera quality! VIVA 1200>
    Attached Images Attached Images
  13. #53  
    I needed to use this phone while dirving and I carry TWO high quality headsets.

    They both sound HORRIBLE.

    I have revision B and I am not about to trade out 5 phones to find one that works... if there is one.

    I am hoping this has to do with SOFTWARE and NOT hardware so that a firmware upgrade can fix this.

    Can someone keep everyone up to date on this issue.

    Can we deterinie if this is a SPRINT Treo 600 issue?? How is the Cingular and newly released AT&T GSM versions sound???

    It is amazingly annoying that you can not hear. Those days were over long ago. This shouldn't sound like when u bought your 1st analog portable cell phone in 1991.

    Mike
  14. #54  
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    I needed to use this phone while dirving and I carry TWO high quality headsets.

    They both sound HORRIBLE.

    I have revision B and I am not about to trade out 5 phones to find one that works... if there is one.

    I am hoping this has to do with SOFTWARE and NOT hardware so that a firmware upgrade can fix this.

    Can someone keep everyone up to date on this issue.

    Can we deterinie if this is a SPRINT Treo 600 issue?? How is the Cingular and newly released AT&T GSM versions sound???

    It is amazingly annoying that you can not hear. Those days were over long ago. This shouldn't sound like when u bought your 1st analog portable cell phone in 1991.

    Mike

    Bump.

    Anyone? Anyone????

    I can't take the sound coming out of any one of my headphones. I'm forced to use the phone to my ear and I don't know how much longer I can take it.
  15. dhh
    dhh is offline
    dhh's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #55  
    I posted to this thread a couple of weeks ago and reported that I had a replacement T600 on its way from Handspring based on the sound quality of my previous unit.

    Well, it arrived last week and I finally got the chance to switch over to it. The sound quality on the new unit is identical to the sound on the unit it replaces.

    I saved a voice mail from an associate speaking in a normal tone as a test sound file. I listened to the message via built-in speaker, back speaker, ear bud and the stereo headset I use for MP3s. In all cases the buzzy, over-driven sound was pronounced to the point of being irritating.

    Then I configured the new Treo 600 and listened to the same voice mail in all 4 configurations. Because I really want it to be better, I can imagine a minor improvement in sound overall, but the raspy overtones are still there.

    Next, I loaded up a couple of MP3s and played them through the back speaker and the stereo headset. They sounded good on the headset. I was able to turn the volume up to the point that it was uncomfortable for me to listen to, but here was no distortion The sound through the back speaker with the MP3 source sounded like an old fashioned transistor radio, or music played through the tiny built-in speakers of an old Macintosh. Certainly not great, but also not distorted like the phone sounds are.

    My experiment leads me to believe that there is something being overdriven in software as it pertains to the telephone functionality. It is not possible for me to turn my phone sound down far enough to make it sound good all the time. It ranges from OK to unlistenable. What a disappointment.

    Anyone know what we can do about this other than reaffirming each other's findings in this thread?
  16.    #56  
    I don't know what we can do, but my results are the exact same as yours with my Treo 600. The telephone portion seems to be the part that is overdriven to me also. I'm sad to hear that your new Treo 600 sounds just like the old one. I haven't asked for a replacement on mine because I figured they were all pretty much that way and you've confirmed my suspicion . I sure wish that someone from Handspring was here so that we could get someone on the inside's expert technical opinion on what is going on here. I love this phone, but I'm sure hating how easily it's overdriven.
  17. #57  
    i got a GSM version yesterday, Cingular branded- and both the back speaker and the main earpeice sound overdriven and distorted, much worse than any other of my GSM phones...very disapointing, and indicative of handpsprings crap quality...

    my only hope is they release a firmware update quickly.
  18. #58  
    Originally posted by dhh
    I posted to this thread a couple of weeks ago and reported that I had a replacement T600 on its way from Handspring based on the sound quality of my previous unit.

    Well, it arrived last week and I finally got the chance to switch over to it. The sound quality on the new unit is identical to the sound on the unit it replaces.

    I saved a voice mail from an associate speaking in a normal tone as a test sound file. I listened to the message via built-in speaker, back speaker, ear bud and the stereo headset I use for MP3s. In all cases the buzzy, over-driven sound was pronounced to the point of being irritating.

    Then I configured the new Treo 600 and listened to the same voice mail in all 4 configurations. Because I really want it to be better, I can imagine a minor improvement in sound overall, but the raspy overtones are still there.

    Next, I loaded up a couple of MP3s and played them through the back speaker and the stereo headset. They sounded good on the headset. I was able to turn the volume up to the point that it was uncomfortable for me to listen to, but here was no distortion The sound through the back speaker with the MP3 source sounded like an old fashioned transistor radio, or music played through the tiny built-in speakers of an old Macintosh. Certainly not great, but also not distorted like the phone sounds are.

    My experiment leads me to believe that there is something being overdriven in software as it pertains to the telephone functionality. It is not possible for me to turn my phone sound down far enough to make it sound good all the time. It ranges from OK to unlistenable. What a disappointment.

    Anyone know what we can do about this other than reaffirming each other's findings in this thread?
    I agree with you but it is most pronounced in the headset making me believe that an adjustment in an ouput amplifier is much too high for the headphone-out only. The sound quality in the phone's earpiece is not nearly as bad as that of the headphone. The headphone is buzzy at ALL volumes. The phone's earpiece, on the other hand, exhibits raspy, buzz-like tones at higher volumes. I think there is a specific adjustment for the headphone-out and another for the phone'e earpiece and speakerphone.

    What can we do? Well I'm sure HS can fix this problem with a firmware upgrade. It is obvious that it is not a hardware issue because of the inconsistencies with different output speakers. I would strongly suggest you ask HS to replace the phone again. The more you ask the more likely they will see the need to fix it. From the response on this board, the concern doesn't seem to be that high (that, by the way, is very strange). But if enough people complain, HS will do something about it. I am on phone #3 (yes I returned the phone TWICE) and I will return it again if the fourth phone has the same problem, which it probably will. I also have two friends that asked for replacements because of the sound quality. Until HS can tell me "we're sorry sir, we admit that the sound quality is not acceptable but there is no fix available at this time and won't be in the foreseeable future", I will continue to return the phone. If you call HS now and ask if there have been any complaints about the sound quality they will tell you no. Call for yourself. It sounds silly what I'm doing but (returning phone after phone) but it will either force HS to openly admit the quality is unacceptable OR fix it.
  19. #59  
    it's a joke. you can bet hs new about the speaker distort and still put this phone out. we're stuck with it.

    there are no phones that don't distort . it is simply a matter of what your willing to accept.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/11/2003 at 08:46 PM.
  20. #60  
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    it's a joke. you can bet hs new about the speaker distort and still put this phone out. we're stuck with it.

    there are no phones that don't distort . it is simply a matter of what your willing to accept.
    Call HS and ask for a replacement. Let them know that we won't "accept" this crap. Grumbling here isn't going to help much.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions