Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by ChemEngr

Which earpiece is distorted: the one on the phone, or the one on the handsfree headset (tcjohnson mentioned earpiece - out jack)? As I said, I have not used my handsfree headset but my earpiece (on the phone) is very clear. How could it be software then?
    When I state earpiece I mean the hands-free headset. Sorry for the confusion. The speakers on the phone itself are fine although the speakerphone does distort at mid to high levels (this is "sort of" expected granted the high volume level could be what is distorting the sound), the main speaker works great and the quality is fine.

There is no excuse for the sound quality to the hands-free headset out jack. Just to clarify to all reading this - THE SOUND IS NOT DISTORTING AS A RESULT OF HIGH VOLUME. The problem is in the signal being reproduced to the headset jack. The sound is still distorted even at lower volumes. I'm sure others having this problem can confirm this. I can confirm it on all of three phones that I have tested.

And it is NOT A HARDWARE REV ISSUE. My first phone was a rev B, the second a rev C and the phone I tested at Sprint was a rev A. All had the same headset sound reproduction problems.
    i've tried 5 phones 2 of my own and 3 at sprint stores. all had distortion in the ear piece and all had distortion at high levels using the speaker phone. to some they like the other features of the phone so much it's apparent they can live with the sound. others have already dropped the 600 over this issue and some like me are about to drop the phone.

new should mean improved. the sound of the 600 is sustantially worse in all respects vs my 300.

there was a rush to get his phone out and be damn with the user. you can't tell me hawkins and others weren't aware of this speaker and other issues. what kills me is he now has his hands back at palm which in my dealing has had great qualtiy.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/30/2003 at 06:10 PM.
    Have you tried other headsets (different manufacturer) other than the one it came with? I left my stock headset at home, so I will be testing it as soon as I get home. I have read in different posts that the stock headsets are very poor quality. However, many have reported distortion free performance from stereo headsets (with adapter) playing MP3s.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I just got my Treo last night so I'll chime in.

While the sound is not as crisp and clear as my Samsung A500, it is certainly not terrible: I'd say it's about 80% as clear.

And the Treo 600's sound certainly is not as poor as the Sanyo 8100, which I returned because it's muffled and distorted voice quality.

This is, of course, pending further voice usage since I have not had a chance to talk alot yet.

But, for now, I would not return my Treo 600 due to the sound quality. It's just not that bad.
    Have you tried other headsets (different manufacturer) other than the one it came with? I left my stock headset at home, so I will be testing it as soon as I get home. I have read in different posts that the stock headsets are very poor quality. However, many have reported distortion free performance from stereo headsets (with adapter) playing MP3s.
    i have been using my mp3 and the distortion through stereo headsets is minimal.

the speaker phone is more of an issue to me then the ear piece.. when retrieving the same voicemail message, the sound is sustantially more clear and distortion free on my 300 vs the 600. i've always felt that the speaker phone sound on the 300 was very good.
    Originally posted by JTREOB

i have been using my mp3 and the distortion through stereo headsets is minimal.

the speaker phone is more of an issue to me then the ear piece.. when retrieving the same voicemail message, the sound is sustantially more clear and distortion free on my 300 vs the 600. i've always felt that the speaker phone sound on the 300 was very good.
    My 600's speakerphone is definitely a step up from my 300. This may be subjective because the 600's speakerphone sounds a lot better if you lay it on a solid surface (desk) rather than holding it up in the air.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I see too many posts that are not directly related to the real problem here.

1) There are some posts about the quality of the speakerphone. THIS ISSUE IS NOT RELATED TO THE SPEAKER PHONE SPEAKER.

2) There are some posts that the main speaker that you use when using the phone traditionally (the speaker integrated into the phone directly above the screen) works fine and does not distort. THIS ISSUE IS NOT RELATED TO THIS SPEAKER

3) There are some posts that the hands-free headset could be a problem because the stock set is very poor quality. THIS ISSUE IS NOT A RESULT OF A POOR QUALITY STOCK HANDS-FREE HEADSET OR ANY OTHER AFTERMARKET HANDS-FREE HEADSET.

4) There are some posts that MP3 playback is fine and not distorted. THE ISSUE IS NOT RELATED TO MP3 PLAYBACK

5) Some people state that the speakers may be the problem and are causing the distorion. THE ISSUE IS NOT A SPEAKER OR ANY SPEAKER FOR THAT MATTER.

The real problem here is THE QUALITY OF THE SOUND REPRODUCED BY THE HANDS-FREE HEADSET OUT JACK LOCATED AT THE BASE OF YOUR PHONE ONLY WHEN YOU ARE USING THE PHONE (I.E. DURING A CONVERSATION). The distortion is not evident while playing MP3's through a regular pair of headphones when using the adapter. While the stock headset is not the greatest, it is not the reason why it sounds terrible.

Can someone here honestly say that the quality of the sound PRODUCED WHEN USING THE HANDS-FREE HEADSET DURING A CONVERSATION ON THE PHONE is good? It is the worst quality of any phone I have ever used. And I have used maybe 20 phones over the last decade.

I think once things have been clarified, the consensus will be that the phone has a major, major software/hardware issue.
    If that's the case, I haven't tried it yet.

I will let you know once I plug a headset in and give it a whirl.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I even ordered the high qua!ity earpiece from HSh
    Originally posted by tcjohnsson
    I see too many posts that are not directly related to the real problem here.

1) There are some posts about the quality of the speakerphone. THIS ISSUE IS NOT RELATED TO THE SPEAKER PHONE SPEAKER.

2) There are some posts that the main speaker that you use when using the phone traditionally (the speaker integrated into the phone directly above the screen) works fine and does not distort. THIS ISSUE IS NOT RELATED TO THIS SPEAKER

3) There are some posts that the hands-free headset could be a problem because the stock set is very poor quality. THIS ISSUE IS NOT A RESULT OF A POOR QUALITY STOCK HANDS-FREE HEADSET OR ANY OTHER AFTERMARKET HANDS-FREE HEADSET.

4) There are some posts that MP3 playback is fine and not distorted. THE ISSUE IS NOT RELATED TO MP3 PLAYBACK

5) Some people state that the speakers may be the problem and are causing the distorion. THE ISSUE IS NOT A SPEAKER OR ANY SPEAKER FOR THAT MATTER.

The real problem here is THE QUALITY OF THE SOUND REPRODUCED BY THE HANDS-FREE HEADSET OUT JACK LOCATED AT THE BASE OF YOUR PHONE ONLY WHEN YOU ARE USING THE PHONE (I.E. DURING A CONVERSATION). The distortion is not evident while playing MP3's through a regular pair of headphones when using the adapter. While the stock headset is not the greatest, it is not the reason why it sounds terrible.

Can someone here honestly say that the quality of the sound PRODUCED WHEN USING THE HANDS-FREE HEADSET DURING A CONVERSATION ON THE PHONE is good? It is the worst quality of any phone I have ever used. And I have used maybe 20 phones over the last decade.

I think once things have been clarified, the consensus will be that the phone has a major, major software/hardware issue.
    So I got home last night and tried the headset that came with my 600. I listened to my sprint voicemail messages and work voicemail messages. Here is my opinion: IT IS ACCEPTABLE. I could only hear a slight distortion (cracking) during certain pitches, but audio is intelligible. I do not use headsets usually but have used them enough to submit an opinion. I would add however that it is not as clear as my 300. I do not know nor even hypothesize that software or hardware is the cause for your phone's poor headset audio quality.
    Last night when I got home I tried the earpiece.

Is the quality SLIGHTLY worse than my old Samsung A500? Yes.

Is it bad enough to warrant a return of the Treo 600? No.
    tcjohnsson,
    I am with you 100%. This is the worst sound out of a headset output jack I have ever heard on a cell phone and I have had over 30 different ones. I took my first T600 back to Sprint yesterday because of this very issue. I spent time with the Sprint tech support and Handspring tech support. They both came to the conclusion that the phone was bad. I asked them if there was some hidden menu that would allow you to adjust an input volume setting. They said no. I do wander if this issue could be resolved through a software upgrade of some sort. It seems to me that in the chain of audio something is overdriving something else's input.
    I am an audio enthusiast and recording engineer. I know what good sound is. You are right this distortion seems to be inherent in the signal that arrives at the output amplifier. I can hear it most prominently over the headset output, which I use most. I have several headsets and it does it on all of them. I can turn the volume all the way down and I still hear it just the same.
    The new phone I was given is a revision "C". I'm not sure what the previous phone's revision number was.
    I moved from a Samsung I330 platform(beautiful clear sound on the headphone jack). I am very happy with the design of the Treo 600. It really well thought out, but, this distortion issue is driving me mad. I can not stand distortion.
    It seems to me like something is over powering the input to the amplifier that then connects to both speakers(one on the front you place to your ear and the much louder output one on the back for hands free) and the headset out jack. I hear the same distortion through all three outputs. I agree there is a different kind of distortion when you turn the hands free speaker on the back up too loud, but, all of my past cell phones have done that and it seems normal to me for there to be vibration distortion when a speaker is turned up too loud.(This is a separate issue)
    I am frustrated. I am probably going to try to exchange this phone too. I can see how someone who is not used to good quality audio sound it would be acceptable. For me it's unacceptable. I spend countless hours on the phone and this distortion will drive me crazy.
    this is a huge problem for me as well. very dissapointing. the sound is not bad, it is flat out terrible. unacceptable for any device, never mind a phone of this caliber.
    -rob
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Titan
    tcjohnsson,
    I am with you 100%. This is the worst sound out of a headset output jack I have ever heard on a cell phone and I have had over 30 different ones. I took my first T600 back to Sprint yesterday because of this very issue. I spent time with the Sprint tech support and Handspring tech support. They both came to the conclusion that the phone was bad. I asked them if there was some hidden menu that would allow you to adjust an input volume setting. They said no. I do wander if this issue could be resolved through a software upgrade of some sort. It seems to me that in the chain of audio something is overdriving something else's input.
    I am an audio enthusiast and recording engineer. I know what good sound is. You are right this distortion seems to be inherent in the signal that arrives at the output amplifier. I can hear it most prominently over the headset output, which I use most. I have several headsets and it does it on all of them. I can turn the volume all the way down and I still hear it just the same.
    The new phone I was given is a revision "C". I'm not sure what the previous phone's revision number was.
    I moved from a Samsung I330 platform(beautiful clear sound on the headphone jack). I am very happy with the design of the Treo 600. It really well thought out, but, this distortion issue is driving me mad. I can not stand distortion.
    It seems to me like something is over powering the input to the amplifier that then connects to both speakers(one on the front you place to your ear and the much louder output one on the back for hands free) and the headset out jack. I hear the same distortion through all three outputs. I agree there is a different kind of distortion when you turn the hands free speaker on the back up too loud, but, all of my past cell phones have done that and it seems normal to me for there to be vibration distortion when a speaker is turned up too loud.(This is a separate issue)
    I am frustrated. I am probably going to try to exchange this phone too. I can see how someone who is not used to good quality audio sound it would be acceptable. For me it's unacceptable. I spend countless hours on the phone and this distortion will drive me crazy.
    [/QUOTE\

i don't blame you. the sound on this phone through the speaker phone and ear piece is unacceptable.

what kills me is that the beta versions couldn't have been better. so how the hell does this phone with such poor sound quality get put on the market?

@ this was a rush job by hs before the palmone merger approval meeting. believe me, any delays on this phone prior to seeking the merger approval ,which was set before the release of the treo 600, would have sh.t can the deal. they had to put it out. even hawkins has suggested such " we had to get this phone out"
    Originally posted by Titan
    tcjohnsson,

I’m glad you agree. It astounds me that this isn’t sounded off on the board more than it is. So far at least on this thread I have heard complaints from only JTREOB, Titan, mianesva, Spiffyis5150, MikeRadio, and dhh. Are we the only whackos that think the sound quality is UNACCEPTABLE??
    Do other people even care about sound quality??? I almost feel that all my fellow Treo 600 fans are only technogeeks that purchased it purely for the coolness and uniqueness of the phone. An analogy would be someone purchasing the new high-tech 04’ Toyota Prius (which I now own) and keeping it even if it has a 5 inch dagger that sticks up my **** every time I drive it.

I mean the T600 is still a phone, about 60% phone IMO, (40% PDA). Shouldn’t sound quality be up there in the top three most important features that make a phone a keeper?? (reception and battery life round off my top three) Maybe I’m just CRAZY??? I mean how does everyone else rate the importance of features?? Uhh, convenient e-mail access first, ability to play popular games second, cool ringers third, being able to take impromptu pictures of my female friends in bikinis fourth..… Geez. It makes me sick to find HUNDREDS of posts about the crappy quality of the camera. Yeah, it sucks. WHO CARES? For crying out loud, my ears are hurting from the darn headset!!!

Besides those of you mentioned above, am I the only one that uses the headset? I would assume many people would use the headset because it makes the phone much more functional. Also because most of the owners of these phones are inherently geeks (don’t worry guys, that’s a good thing) or businessmen and they don’t mind the apparent “uncoolness” of a wire dangling from our ears.

For the record, I am not a big-time audiophile, nor am I a recording engineer. I own a relatively low-end Sony rack stereo system that is upwards of a decade old. I also listen to music downloaded to my iPod (at only 128kbps) using the stock headphones and utilize a tape adapter to play my iPod on my car’s stereo system which is stock. So basically what I am saying is that I don’t care for super-high quality sound and my life doesn’t revolve around it. Mediocre makes me happy.

Having that said, I can still honestly say that the output sound quality ON THE HEADSET JACK OUTPUT is CRAP. ABSOLUTE CRAP! How can anyone except this???

I love my T600, in fact I love it so much that I returned it AGAIN in hopes that HS will wake up and realize that hey, the sound quality does sound like sh@!.

I realize that HS probably reads these boards (I hope they do) and I hope they realize that I am eating away at your profits by the lost shipping expenses and phones being resold as refurbished because I will keep returning them until the sound quality improves. I hope others follow suit.

If you are fed up by the sound quality to the headset out jack, I suggest you call HS and tell them that you suspect your unit is defective because the distortion is terrible (IMO, they ARE defective). I think it is just an issue of turning down the “gain” in the output somewhere on the IC. I’m not an electronics engineer so maybe someone can chime in here. Regardless, a slew of exchanges may wake HS up. So if you want something done, call HS and request for a replacement phone asap and don’t worry about being without a phone. They will send you a replacement and when you receive it, you ship the “defective” one back.

This is not an issue of someone or some people that are used to very high quality sound complaining that the T600 sound quality sucks. This is a major software/firmware PROBLEM that MUST be addressed immediately.
    you guys got defective units. I know mine is not because the overall sound quality is better than my 300 which was as good as my previous phones (I also had many). I wish you luck in resolving your issues because if I also thought that my phone sounds like crap then I'd return it in a heartbeat. And the more returns HS gets, then the more they would take notice. So it is always a good a idea to return defective products.
    you guys got defective units.
    That would be interesting. I am three for three in the defective dept if that's true. Let's see what the fourth one sounds like. I'm not making any bets...
    there are two major distortion situations that have occurred on all five treos that i've tested. 1) when using the speaker phone, and 2) when using the ear speaker plug that comes with the treo 600.
    you guys got defective units. I know mine is not because the overall sound quality is better than my 300 which was as good as my previous phones (I also had many). I wish you luck in resolving your issues because if I also thought that my phone sounds like crap then I'd return it in a heartbeat. And the more returns HS gets, then the more they would take notice. So it is always a good a idea to return defective products.
    your damn right we have defective products, and there's no doubt after going five for five that there's a hell of alot of defective treo 600's out there.
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    there are two major distortion situations that have occurred on all five treos that i've tested. 1) when using the speaker phone, and 2) when using the ear speaker plug that comes with the treo 600.
    IMO, I think #1 is not a real problem because all speakerphones exhibit some kind of distortion (especially at louder volume) but #2 is a HUGE problem. The distortion is there even at low volumes and it doesn't matter how fancy or expensive your headset is. They all have the same problem of excessive distortion.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast